T Nation

Westside for Skinny Bastards Pressing

I noticed that the press is not included in this routine. How could I incorporate them into this routine? Thanks.

You have 3 options.

1. Alternate between Bench variations and OHP variations on ME day.

2. Use them as an assistance excercise on one of the Upperbodys days

3. Alternate between Bench and OHP on the RE day.

4. Do all of the above.

Defranco isn’t really a fan of pressing for his athletes. He considers it a risky movement. On the other hand, if you’re comfortable pressing you can implement it in any way you’d like.

[quote]florelius wrote:
You have 3 options.

1. Alternate between Bench variations and OHP variations on ME day.

2. Use them as an assistance excercise on one of the Upperbodys days

3. Alternate between Bench and OHP on the RE day.

4. Do all of the above.

[/quote]

x2

It can be assistance work, or it can be an occasional max effort if your shoulders allow. My goal for my ME work is to increase my bench and overhead presses are terrible for that for MYSELF and my OWN weaknesses. If you want a big overhead press, or you want a big bench press, and you think it can help YOUR weaknesses then do it.

W4SB is only a template, make it work for yourself.

I I find overhead press to be more risk free than other movements.

Another question(did not want to start a new thread), should I rotate the main max movement every 2 weeks or is every 3 weeks better in your guys opinions?

tweet

If you’re interested, DeFranco actually wrote an article on this site about why he doesn’t look like OHP, military press etc.

Keep in mind it’s heavily influenced by the fact that he is dealing with elite athletes most of the time. When you are training athletes like this, the very first rule has to be do no harm.

I would only use it as an assistance movement if doing WS4SB. Work it in as your supplemental lift sometimes if you really want to do it, either on the RE or ME day.

If you’re interested, DeFranco actually wrote an article on this site about why he doesn’t look like OHP, military press etc.

Keep in mind it’s heavily influenced by the fact that he is dealing with elite athletes most of the time. When you are training athletes like this, the very first rule has to be do no harm.

I would only use it as an assistance movement if doing WS4SB. Work it in as your supplemental lift sometimes if you really want to do it, either on the RE or ME day.

[quote]theBird wrote:
I I find overhead press to be more risk free than other movements.

Another question(did not want to start a new thread), should I rotate the main max movement every 2 weeks or is every 3 weeks better in your guys opinions?

tweet[/quote]

As I progressed on WS4SB, I found it helpful to rotate the ME movement more often. In the beginning PRs are easier to come by and you’re pretty much hitting them every week. As progress slows a bit you’ll still want to be hitting PRs, and rotating the ME movement more often allows for that.

Keep the variations simple in the beginning. Mostly BP and CGBP with the occasional floor press or incline BP. You should be able to make good progress on these for quite awhile, and you want to first be developing strong technique and motor patterns before even thinking about adding in boards, chains, bands etc. Save the more advanced variations for when your progress starts to plateau.

I also found as I progressed that to keep adding weight I eventually had to increase the intensity. More 3RM and 1RM ME days, whereas I was mostly shooting for 5RMs in the beginning. This worked well for me and DeFranco also notes that as his athletes get stronger, he moves them towards 3RM and the occasional 1RM.

Thanks for that.

tweet

Just another quick question;

On repetition upper body day, the program says to do 3 sets of max reps. What amount of reps should you be aiming for?? Do you rep out until failure one each set?? On the following week do you keep to the same exercise and try get more reps? At what stage do you change this exercise?

Thanks in advance.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:
Just another quick question;

On repetition upper body day, the program says to do 3 sets of max reps. What amount of reps should you be aiming for?? Do you rep out until failure one each set?? On the following week do you keep to the same exercise and try get more reps? At what stage do you change this exercise?

Thanks in advance.

tweet[/quote]

The weight you’re using should be something you can get between 12-20 reps on the first set if going all out.

DeFranco says to leave about one rep in the tank on the first two sets, and go all out on the 3rd set.

He also notes that he sometimes has his athletes do a couple weeks of just 4 sets of 12-15 reps instead of 3 max rep sets. He found his athletes were getting a little burned out by going to failure (or near failure) on RE day week after week.

Change the accessory work every few weeks. One thing you can do is keep the same weight for a few weeks in a row and try to beat the previous week’s rep record. Another option would be to add a little weight each of the three weeks. Start the first week out with a weight closer to your 20RM than your 12RM if you take this approach.

I’d take a cruise through WSFSB Part 3 if I were you. Everything above is pulled pretty much directly from that article. Also, he’s been writing an “Ask Joe” section on his website the past 5+ years which answers all kind of questions and has lots of helpful information about both WSFSB and strength training for athletes in general.