Westside for Skinny Bastards Help

today i did my first trial day of the program…my flat bench sets went for 9 sets going bar x 10, 95, 115 135 155 175 185 195 200 all for 5. THe last rep was pretty taxing…should i have shot for 205 for 3 or not???

Hey Folks

I wanted to know if my ME workout was performed correctly.

BP.

Bar151

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy, that progression looks pretty good. If 200 felt pretty tough and you strained you proabaly went high enough for the day. You can come back and try and hit a new pr next week.

Av, your progression looks solid too. Just out of curirosity (sp?) why the extra sets after you hit your max? Where you trying to just get in some more volume (I know that Jim Wendler had discussed doing extra sets following the max using Prilipen’s Chart)?

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:

Av, your progression looks solid too. Just out of curirosity (sp?) why the extra sets after you hit your max? Where you trying to just get in some more volume (I know that Jim Wendler had discussed doing extra sets following the max using Prilipen’s Chart)?

[/quote]

Hey Buckeye75,

After hitting 205 I did not feel that I had worked out at all…so I went back to 185 and did 3 more sets. Once I moved to inclines as a supplemental lifts my chest was toast. I think next week I will follow a better progression much like Jimmy.

Av, makes sense. Good luck with the Westside program. I have been doing a version of it for the last half a year and I am really liking the results I have been getting.

cheers lads…200 i think is near about 90 kgs which is starting to get into new territory for me, esp for 5 reps. I think next week i;ll try and get 205 for 3 or 5, whichever i feel i can do…

another question…sorry if it seems silly, but should i keep the same progression for the length of time i stick with bench (i think ill change after 3 weeks, kinda seems the recommended length for one exercise)?? I will probably answer my own question, but i felt pretty comfortable with that and when i did declines after, my chest felt like it was done for the day LOL!!!

…and another Q…would i be looking at a similar progression for say deadlifts?? in other words, using about 9 sets to achieve my max effort…i know its fairly individual, just looking for some insight…cheers

It looks like you have you bench progression figured out perfectly. Instead of adding another set over the 5x200, you may want to drop to 5x195, then try for 205. Then again, my bench is my worst lift (my 1RM is only 200, which is only my bodyweight; my 5RM is 155!), you might be different.

As for the deadlift, 9 sets might not be enough, especially since this plan is volume dominant. I do between 10-15 sets to get to my 5RM, relatively smaller jumps allow me to better gauge what I can do that day. However, my deadlift is my best lift (1RM 345, 5RM 300).

Squats are hard for me to do because of my height and build, I’m built more for deads. I usually end up only doing 7 or so sets for my 5RM (did 175, wasn’t a true max).

Yes, I am weak compared to everyone here, but you should see what I started at about a year ago. After losing about 90 lbs (70 of fat, 20 of muscle) from dieting wrong, I was incredibly weak! I could not even deadlift my bodyweight. My squat max was only 115! My bench was like 135 or something else sad. I also did tons of bike riding, and that has made my legs even smaller and slow-twitch dominant.

I made most of my improvments within the last 8 months, I had been using regular Westside for about 6 of those. I hope to hit 215 as a 5RM in bench, 350 5RM in dead, and 230 5RM in squat by the end of the year.

Anyhow, good lifting! Later.

[quote]TopHeavy wrote:
It looks like you have you bench progression figured out perfectly. Instead of adding another set over the 5x200, you may want to drop to 5x195, then try for 205. Then again, my bench is my worst lift (my 1RM is only 200, which is only my bodyweight; my 5RM is 155!), you might be different.

As for the deadlift, 9 sets might not be enough, especially since this plan is volume dominant. I do between 10-15 sets to get to my 5RM, relatively smaller jumps allow me to better gauge what I can do that day. However, my deadlift is my best lift (1RM 345, 5RM 300).

Squats are hard for me to do because of my height and build, I’m built more for deads. I usually end up only doing 7 or so sets for my 5RM (did 175, wasn’t a true max).

Yes, I am weak compared to everyone here, but you should see what I started at about a year ago. After losing about 90 lbs (70 of fat, 20 of muscle) from dieting wrong, I was incredibly weak! I could not even deadlift my bodyweight. My squat max was only 115! My bench was like 135 or something else sad. I also did tons of bike riding, and that has made my legs even smaller and slow-twitch dominant.

I made most of my improvments within the last 8 months, I had been using regular Westside for about 6 of those. I hope to hit 215 as a 5RM in bench, 350 5RM in dead, and 230 5RM in squat by the end of the year.

Anyhow, good lifting! Later.[/quote]

TH, cheers on the bench tip, i may try that…and with the DL thing, ill give it a go and see what works…cheers…and keep at it mate, your doing well…

im glad i added this ‘trial’ week for this westisde program so i can atleast get an idea of my max’s for when i start it proper…cheers!!

Here is my DL (left palm out, right palm in) progression that i did today…let me know what you think…

bar x 8, 95 x 8, 115, 135, 155, 175, 185, 195, 205, 215, 220 x 5…i was pretty much rooted on the last one.

then my next ex was ‘walking lunges’ holding 25 lb db’s 4 x 15…OUCH!!! :wink:

cheers

jimmy

Jimmy,
You may want to alternate hand facing on the DLs as you go along. It will help with grip strength.

Also, you can shorten up the time it takes to get to the max weight you plan to use if you feel comfortable. Some people have no problem making a 50 lb jump. Others like to have a good warm up leading to the max effort.

Finally, I believe Defranco mentioned trying to maximize the amount of time using the max weight. So doing a set of 5 and then a set of 3 isn’t a bad thing. I’ll try and go back and take a look at some of his answers to those kinds of questions.

Cheers.

sounds pretty good mate, cheers…ill also have a look at his stuff, cant let everyone else do it for me now ey? :wink:

Hey Jimmy,

My progression was

Air Bar :stuck_out_tongue: * 10
Bar* 10
225*3

I seriously felt like quitting after this but continued with the Bulgarian split squat variation…I just had to stick with my BW because I had so much trouble trying to be stable…

continued with GMs and finished off with some grip work.

I love the intensity of the program!

Hey I doble checked my training log, here is an example of my last deadlift workout:

3x5, 115
1x5 ea 135, 165, 185, 205, 225, 245, 265, 301.5

I usually do more sets, but I have been lifting with my buddy; after awhile I got tired of his BS and had to set him straight (he thought that because he out squatted me, he could out dead me). Most of the time I include a set with 215, then 235, 255, 275, and/or 295.
I second trying to deadlift with a double overhand grip. It will fry your grip, but it is easier to keep your torso from twisting.

Thanks for the encouragement, sometimes it seems the only people that post here started lifting with a 250lb bench and a 400lb deadlift.

It looks to me like everyone posting here is on the right track, and I wish everyone quick progress. Later.

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
today i did my first trial day of the program…my flat bench sets went for 9 sets going bar x 10, 95, 115 135 155 175 185 195 200 all for 5. THe last rep was pretty taxing…should i have shot for 205 for 3 or not??? [/quote]

Yeh mate,

Yeh 195 and 200 are to close go for the same rep scheme but change the last two weights to 195 and 205…

Do for external rotations work betwen sets…

[quote]TopHeavy wrote:
Hey I doble checked my training log, here is an example of my last deadlift workout:

3x5, 115
1x5 ea 135, 165, 185, 205, 225, 245, 265, 301.5

I usually do more sets, but I have been lifting with my buddy; after awhile I got tired of his BS and had to set him straight (he thought that because he out squatted me, he could out dead me). Most of the time I include a set with 215, then 235, 255, 275, and/or 295.
I second trying to deadlift with a double overhand grip. It will fry your grip, but it is easier to keep your torso from twisting.

Thanks for the encouragement, sometimes it seems the only people that post here started lifting with a 250lb bench and a 400lb deadlift.

It looks to me like everyone posting here is on the right track, and I wish everyone quick progress. Later.

Thats so true, about people posting saying they have been training for 5 years and squat 100lbs yet are deadlifting 600 lbs. And benching 500 lbs.

Sounds like you training is going well keep it up…

This is my 3rd workout of the week, the 2nd upper body day (rep)

A) DB Flat Bench Press 3 x AMRAP
40 x 20
40 x 20
40 x 20

B) Decline DB tricep ext 4 x 5-10
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 10
25 x 7 My left arm struggles a little with these…any of you blokes who have any ideas on how i can get my left arm as strong as my right?? (my left fatigues first on most exercises that utilise tri’s and bi’s)

C) Wide grip Pull ups 3 x 8-12
BW x 12
BW x 7
BW x 4

I think i wont go all out on my first one as that fucked me right up.

D) DB Shrugs 3 x 10-15
40 x 15
50 x 15
50 x 15

E)Alt seated DB curls 3 x 8-10
30 x 10
30 x 10
30 x 9

F) Ab circuit (about 4 mins of diff ab shit)

Just a side note, after each workout, i do some int running on the treadmill im starting at about 5 mins going up by 30 secs each workout roughly (on average id like to get it up to 10, which is what i had been doing on the SFM program b4 WS4SB). This shouldnt pose any problems should it…i dont feel too fucked so far and i plan on throwing in a second leg day (which i will post tomorrow, nothing excrutiating, just unilateral stuff).

cheers

this is the optional 2nd leg day (not sure yet if i will keep this in…)

A) Split squats 3 x 10-15 each leg
35 x 15
35 x 13
35 x 12 (i hate these but…you gotta do em :wink:

B) Leg curls 3 x 15
80 x 15
100 x 15
90 x 15

I wanted to do 4 sets but had an intense pain for about 5 mins in the area behind the right knee. Iced it for a bit and then it was fine…ill watch that.

C)Low pulley Swiss ball crunches3x12-15
30 x 15
30 x 20
40 x 12

Then 6 mins of int running (30 sec on, 30 sec off)

THis day is all over place but i will fine tune it if i keep it in.

well that is my trial week. I have a few things to work on from your advices…cheers guys…let me know how you lads go!!!

Jimmy,
Are you basing this off DeFranco’s WS4SB or off his new WS4SB Need For Speed?

I’m hoping you read the second one since it helps to incorporate running into the mix. And if I remember correctly, you are still playing games and gearing up for Nationals.

Which reminds me, I need to plan on making reservations for that.

Cheers.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Jimmy,
Are you basing this off DeFranco’s WS4SB or off his new WS4SB Need For Speed?

I’m hoping you read the second one since it helps to incorporate running into the mix. And if I remember correctly, you are still playing games and gearing up for Nationals.

Which reminds me, I need to plan on making reservations for that.

Cheers.[/quote]

mate, im really not sure which one i read, but the one i did read had recommended 15-20 mins of cardio on off days (2-3 days a week). But i dont think its the N4S one???

is there a link for the N4S one? does it change drastically from his others???

and yes, i need to make some plans for tickets to Mil, the club takes care of hotels…also need to get tickets for Tampa as we play there in sept…