T Nation

Westside for Skinny Bastards for Gaining Size?

I’ve been doing Starting Strength for a while and gained alot of strength, and I also gained a lot of weight, going from 130 lbs to 176 lbs, but alot of this weight was fat.

I want to put on more muscle mass, and I was reccomended WS4SB, but I don’t know if I’m strong enough to do it?

Here are my current stats:

Weight: 176 lbs
Bench: 200 lbs (working sets)
Squat: 255 lbs (working sets)
Deadlift: 305 lbs (working sets)
Weighted Chinups: Bodyweight + 30 lbs

I want to keep getting stronger, but at the same time put on muscle mass, since I’m very skinny and put on very little mass with Starting Strength.

Forgot some info:

Height: 6’3
Overhead Press: 130 lbs (working sets)

Before anyone asks, I eat enough calories to gain weight,(I’ve had no trouble gaining weight) and I eat VERY clean (I haven’t even touched a piece of candy or soda since I started lifting). The reason why I think I put on more fat than muscle is because Starting Strength has very low volume, and focuses mostly on CNS gains rather than muscle gain

What were your lifts when starting Starting Strength? How long have you been on it?

Can you give us an example of a day’s eating?

Have your lifts stalled?

At 6’3" 176lbs, fat would probably be the last word I used to describe you. Your height, weight, and lift numbers also suggest that whatever weight you added was a fair amount of muscle.

Your lifts aren’t bad for a novice, though and if youre up about 46lbs, Starting Strength seems to be doing its job. Additionally, if your lifts are going up, so is your muscle mass.

Personally, if my lifts haven’t stalled, I would stay w/ Starting Strength until I was at least: 200 lbs bw, squatting 315x5x3, deadlifting 365x5, and benching about 225x5x3. From there, you have more of a base to work with.

Regardless of whatever the ‘hypertrophy’ rep range is, sets of 5 with the main movements and sufficient calories will result in muscle gain. WS4SB is pretty similar w/ lower rep ME days, except you have some higher rep assistance work added in. If you haven’t noticed muscle gain on Starting Strength, I doubt WS4SB will be any different.

I think you may just have skinny man’s sickness, where all mass gained looks like fat, but you’ve been underweight your whole life and aren’t entitled to an opinion of what fat is.

What were your lifts when starting Starting Strength?

-Just the bar on bench, 90 lbs squat, 110 lbs deadlift, needed assistance on chinups

How long have you been on it?

-Not sure, but between 6 months and a year

Can you give us an example of a day’s eating?

Today, for example:

1st meal- Baked Sweet Potato, chicken breast, Broccoli, banana, glass of whole milk
Snack - Tuna, Tomato, Lettuce and mayo sandwhich, 2 glasses of whole milk
PWO - Whey protein mixed with a banana and milk
Dinner - Rice, salmon, broccoli, two peaches, glass of whole milk
Snack - Peanut butter Sandwhich, 3 yoghurts, glass of whole milk

That’s it so far today

Have your lifts stalled?

-They haven’t stalled, progression has just slowed down alot. Having to deload and reset often, not being able to progression every session, etc

At 6’3" 176lbs, fat would probably be the last word I used to describe you

-Yeah, I’m not fat, I’m skinny fat lol

WS4SB is pretty similar w/ lower rep ME days

-Actually, at least on the latest version, you only have one low rep movement even in the ME days :stuck_out_tongue:

In the last number of weeks have you continued to gain weight? The diet that made you grow at 130lbs won’t make you grow at 176lbs. Bump up the food intake and carry on with the program. If you still find progression difficult even with adequate rest and nutrition, then I see no reason why you can’t change programs.

And 130 lbs at 6’3? You must have looked like Christian Bale in The Machinist. I thought I was skinny when I was 175 at the same height.(Now 205)

I haven’t used SW4SB, but I’ve heard good things about it. Give it a go if you want to and feel you’ve exhausted your gains from SS.

Yeah, I was absurdly skinny, my parents were actually worried about my health and well being (I even had bones sticking out in my chest and back)

And yeah, I adjusted my calorie intake accordingly as I gained weight.

It’s just that… Let me try to give out a real life example

Me and a friend of mine started working out at the same time, with no training experience and weighing about the same

I got on starting strength, he decided to get on a routine prescribed by the gym’s trainers

Now, I’m alot stronger and he’s weak as shit, but he’s bigger and looks alot better.
While I want to continue getting stronger, I’d be lying if I said I don’t have a vain side, so I want to gain alot of size while trying to get stronger every session

For six months have you constantly be using the same movements? You could swap some movements, keep up the starting strength program. For instance instead of bent over rows you could use 1 arm DB rows, etc. If you are nervous about being skinny fat you could up your calories to contiue mass gain but truly utilize the P+C, P+F set up and daily carb cut offs.

I mite try:

Workout A
Squats: 3 x 5
Low Incline Bench Press: 3 x 5
Deadlift: 1 x 5
Dips (weighted): 2 x 5-8

Workout B
Squats: 3 x 5
Push Press: 3 x 5
1 arm DB row: 3 x 5
Neutral grip pull-ups: 3 x 8

While this is no longer Rippetoe’s program, it follows the same basic principle and may help you progress faster on lifts for some time.

I’m not doing bent over rows in my program, I replaced the Power Cleans with chinups, which is what Rippetoe originally advocated

I swaped bench for dips for a while when I stopped making progress in the bench, and then went back, but that was it.

I usually try to do the P+C and P+F the best I can, but it can be really hard, especially since I drink alot of milk. I don’t know anything about carb cuttoffs though

WS4SB works.

I would stick with 2-3 week mini-cycles. Rotate squats and deads. (Pick 2-3 lifts)

E.g.
Squat variation:

Box Squat
Back Squat
Front Squat

Deadlift variation:

Normal deads
Snatch grip deads
Sumo

Bench variation:

Flat BB bench
Close Grip press
Floor Press

I like to do 2 weeks for my upper body and 2-3 weeks for my lower body and then rotate my lifts.

Week 1 – 5RM
Week 2 – 3RM
Week 3 (if I choose to do so) – NEW 5RM/3RM

I seem to only be able to reap two weeks of benefits from max effort work for my upper body before I burn out, now this might be different for you so you have to do it first and see how it works for you.

I’m setting up my first W4SB3 cycle, I’ll start it monday. Hopefully it goes well!