T Nation

Westside for skinny bastards - extra leg day?

Regarding the Westside for skinny bastards routine in the lastest issue of T-mag…

It looks like workout I really want to try since I have both strength and hypertrophy goals. However I’m not an “athlete”…I don’t really do much physical activity besides weightlifting, so I think I’d like to add another leg day. The article suggests some sled dragging, but I don’t have what I need to do that right now. Anybody have any ideas for this? Would a rep day for lower body be advisable? Any suggestions or input would be appreciated!

Gary

I am very interested in hearing the response to this aswell.

Also, in the upper high-rep day he has the exersise set at 3xmax… what type of rep range should this max line in? 15-20?

Defranco has posted a similar program several months ago(training economy)
there he says you should do 3 sets of 20-40 reps, you then summarize set1 - set3 reps and record it.You will try to beat htat record nxt session.
I hope i could help.
peace

Any form of gpp training will suffice.
strongman training. And all forms of gpp will work fine.
Look at coach davies renegade training articles, or simply punch strongman or gpp into the search engine on the left.
Enjoy :slight_smile:

gk,
Because you have both strength & hypertrophy goals, you could include a second lower-body workout, 4 days before your max-effort leg day. You could do it the Westside way: several sets of low-box squats, doing doubles with 60-70% of your max. Or, if size is a higher priority than strength, you could do fewer sets and more reps. If you’re working legs twice per week, they can’t BOTH be heavy, low-rep days, even if you’re young, steroid-fortified, and better-than-bulletproof!
Strength & courage,
“Coach Joe”

I was really glad to see this article, it is almost exactly what I’ve been doing for the last few weeks but of course a little better (I’m not a pro trainer)

On my second lower body day I plan on doing farmers walks and doing higher rep low box squats to work on my squat form. Maybe change to to overhead squats in awhile. Not sure what else to throw in but I don’t think this workout has to be very long or strenuous.

Thanks for the input folks!

I’m pretty excited about trying this routine because I have definitely found that I get more of the results I’m looking for from routines that use more than one basic protocol. It looks like it should be a lot of fun too. Thanks for the article Coach Joe!

For those of you wanting to add a second leg day, maybe dedicate this to an Olympic lifting day of nothing but snatches, cleans, and overhead squats with some standard GPP.

Ya I was thinking some box squats or olympic lifts coupled w/ some farmer’s walkin… Does anyone have suggestions for volume however?

for the olympic lfits it would depend on your level of technique, as someone with poor technique will want to emphasize a lot of singles.

Hey gk,

If it’s strength & hypertrophy you’re after, try this for your 2nd leg day:

A. Unilateral Movement - Perform 3 sets of 15 reps each leg
*Choose from the following list of exercises: (Don’t do the same exercise that you performed on your first lower body day.)
Single leg squats, back leg elevated
Barbell step-ups with knee lift
Barbell reverse lunges
Barbell reverse lunges, front foot elevated
Barbell reverse lunges, front foot elevated (with knee lift)
Low-pulley split squats, front foot elevated
Walking lunges
?Speed-skater? squats (1 and a half rep single leg squats)
Barbell step-ups

B. Posterior Chain / Hamstring movement - Perform 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps for TWO of the following exercises:
Glute-ham raises
Reverse hyperextensions
Seated or standing good mornings
Pull-throughs
Leg curls
Romanian deadlifts
Stability ball hamstring lifts

C. Weak Point Training - Perform 1 exercise for 3-5 sets of a lagging body part
(Common areas include upper back, external rotators, abs, grip training, etc.)

Best of luck,
Joe D.

I was going to ask about a second leg day. Great thread.
Thanks Joe D. for a great article and all the info. I’m so psyched to start this program tomorrow!
Steel

This seems to be the thread for question’s about Coach Joe’s recently posted Westside program.

My question is how long of a rest period between sets? Also, would it make sense to change all the exercises after 2-3 weeks or just the max strenth exercise?

What do you all think about using the barbell clean and press as the max effort exercise?

Joe- When you say 4-5 sets, working up to a 5 rep max, what % of the max set are the preceding sets? Lets say my max is 200lb bench for 5 reps, what would the 4 other sets be? Thanks.

VCreed,

I would perform your warm-up sets as follows:
95 X 5
115 X 5
135 X 5
165 X 5
185 X 5
200-205 X 5

It’s important to get a sufficient amount of volume in for your max effort exercise, especially for skinny guys. In other words, DON’T just do 135lbs. then 185lbs. and then max out. The extra volume is key to elicit hypertrophy gains. Remember that it’s not the weight that you start with; it’s the weight that you finish with!

Joe D.

I have a question …my gym is constantly crowded with frat boys who get hard ons starring at themselves in the mirrors while leaving their sweat bands and h2o bottles on the damn last bench that I WANT TO FUCKING USE. Anywho, this is why I train at about 6-7 in the am. I love it…I’m all alone. But I don’t have anyone to spoy me and there isn’t a power rack. (i know but i couldn’t afford the other gym). If, on max effort day, I stop when I know I can’t squeeze another rep out(leaving a rep in the tank short of failure) will my progress suffer?! Thanks guys.

Joe, I have a question regarding the Upper Body Repetition day. When working up to 3 sets of max reps, exactly what type of rep scheme should I be shooting for? I.e., if the exercise I select is an incline dumbbell press, how should I go about determining an appropriate load? Tnanks.

you should be aiming for 20-30 reps.

Joe D,
Are the rest periods kept at 60sec for all the exercises on the repition day?

What kind of cycle is used with this program…should it follow the general westside rules of switching ME exercises every 3 weeks for novices and more frequently for advanced trainees?

Are the rep day work and other assistance exercises cycled in any way?