T Nation

Westside for SB's Questions

Ive been recently doing this program for the past month, and I just have a few questions. Im going to be doing the verticle jump bible program after a few more weeks of the westside program and i was wondering if any of the lower body exercises are better for jumping than others (the ones he lists)? Thanks.

I don’t understand your question. What exercises are you talking about? Does “he” refer to Defranco or Baggett?

He as in DeFranco, because I already have the intermediate program set up from the VJB.

Not to hijack this thread but, how is the program working for you? I am getting on this program on Tuesday after my birthday (monday) and just thought you could tell me how it is.

What kind of jumping do you want to do? One-legged or two-legged? Although depending on your lifting numbers and bodyweight, any kind of leg strength might help.

Well, I can jump higher off of one-leg. My goal is to dunk with two hands by the end of the summer, so im trying to building basic strength of my legs until the end of the summer, and then start up the Vertical Jump Bible.

Good for 2-leg jumping: anything that works quads/glutes more

ex: front squats, high bar olympic squats

Good for 1-leg jumping: anything that works glutes/hamstrings more

ex: box squats, pretty much all unilateral exercises (as long as weight is kept on heel)

Well my lower body exercise routine consists of:
Full Squats - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Single Leg Squats- 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps
Hamstring Leg Curls - 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps

I do those twice a week with maybe some calf raises, but it seems like its not a lot, so I dont know if i should add anything else to my workout or if i should just keep progressing with those exercises until the summer.

Are you sure you are following the WS4SB routine? That looks like a hypertrophy program.

Hypertrophy?
But yeah im pretty sure I got it off of his defrancotraining.com site.

What doesnt look like its from WS4SB?

Here is the routine:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459321

On leg day, you do a max effort lift (most likely squat), working up to a max effort set of 5 reps (usually between 5-8 sets total), not 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

I think the max effort lift is the most important component of the program. Doing 3x10-15 will improve muscle size more than strength.

I was told a smith machine is bad for squats, but is it bad for front squats? If not, what exercise(s) can i replace squats with that doesnt involve a free squat bar?

Olympic lifts for jumps…because you jump with a big ass weight!

[quote]AKahan wrote:
I was told a smith machine is bad for squats, but is it bad for front squats? If not, what exercise(s) can i replace squats with that doesnt involve a free squat bar?[/quote]

clean the bar and front squat, db squats, dip belt sqauts standiing on boxes or benches, unilateral work, hack squats, then leg press heavy.

Phill

so front squats can be performed on a smith machine and be affective?

[quote]AKahan wrote:
so front squats can be performed on a smith machine and be affective?[/quote]

Um, no

Is there any exercise i can perform on the smith machine that is beneficial for vertical leap and my leg strength? Or am i better of just doing unilateral dumbbell stuff?

smallmike what do you mean
“(usually between 5-8 sets total)”

for WSFSB it just says, work up to a max of 3-5. That part of the program confuses me?

Do you
warm up then do one set of 3-5 reps?

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
smallmike what do you mean
“(usually between 5-8 sets total)”

for WSFSB it just says, work up to a max of 3-5. That part of the program confuses me?

Do you
warm up then do one set of 3-5 reps?[/quote]

There is a thread in the strength sports section entitled “Westside/PLing Training Thread”. I’m going to take a wild guess and say that you might find some answers in there.

Or just read through DeFranco’s site. He answers this question 2 seperate times and he also answered it in the T-Nation thread about the article.