Westside for SB Exercise Selection

Just started Westside for SBs this week. I plan on running this for 6-8 weeks. Should I pick one exersize for each section (IE, Flat bench for max effort, BB rows for back) and use those for the entire cycle, or should I switch exersizes every 2 weeks (or every week)?

La’
Redsol1

I know on the beginner’s westside program, it changes every three weeks. The guys at westside change every week, but they use a lot more weight, too.

We change our primary exercise every two to three weeks. You have to give your body a chance to adapt to the new exercise, and a chance to get your form right.

My training partner and I have found that fixing form issues is just as important as the strength end of it. So I’d say probably three weeks to start out.

[quote]folly wrote:
I know on the beginner’s westside program, it changes every three weeks. The guys at westside change every week, but they use a lot more weight, too.

We change our primary exercise every two to three weeks. You have to give your body a chance to adapt to the new exercise, and a chance to get your form right.

My training partner and I have found that fixing form issues is just as important as the strength end of it. So I’d say probably three weeks to start out.[/quote]

Cool, is that just for the primary exersize, or should I keep the ancilary exersizes fixed for 3 weeks as well?

La’
Redsol1

redsol1,

I know alot of coaches seem to like working with exercises in 3 week waves and after that going to another set of exercises. That is what I am doing right now. You could also just keep trying to increase weight on a various exercise and once your results start to decrease get rid of that exercise and replace it with another one.

Also, Dave Tate talks about ways to cycle these types of movements in the Eight Keys part II so that may be something to check out as well.

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
redsol1,

Also, Dave Tate talks about ways to cycle these types of movements in the Eight Keys part II so that may be something to check out as well. [/quote]

Thanks Buck, I’ll add the keys to the reading list for tonight.

La’
Redsol1

Directly from the article:

“I recommend rotating your max-effort exercise every two to three weeks to prevent your nervous system from getting burned out. Whether you shoot for a 3-rep max or a 5-rep max, the goal is to break your previous record every week!”

[quote]redsol1 wrote:

Cool, is that just for the primary exersize, or should I keep the ancilary exersizes fixed for 3 weeks as well?

La’
Redsol1[/quote]

Changing the ancillary exercises is a good idea as well. On ME days we tend to do light aux work, and on DE days we do heavy aux work. Doing alternating db work is good if you feel weaker on one side. I drift left on bench sometimes, so I tend to do one extra rep on left arm tri work.

-folly

Not to highjack the thread but I have a question about exercise selection as well. I recently started WS for SB’s and am currently using close-grip bench on my ME upper body day. If all goes as planned, my bench press should be where I want it (for the time being) at the end of this three week cycle. What I would like to work on next is my overhead pressing and I was wondering if I could use the standing military press as my ME lift? I realize that increasing my bench has a carry over effect but my overhead pressing is lacking and I would like to bring it up to par. Thanks for any advice in advance…