Westside Deadlifts

I was looking at the elite-members section of westside-barbell.com, and I noticed that their deadlifts arn’t really that impressive. Several strongmen competitors can deadlift almost 900, while westside barbells top deadlift is 816. Is there any specific reason for this?

I would have thought it was the other way around, seeing as powerlifters should be more explosive than strongmen.

i have noticed that also, i think they still have impressive deads as i am no where near those weights, but i would imagine it’s because the dont dealift that often or often enough to make huge imporvements…

they say their squat training works the deads, but i think that really only holds true for sumo squats…basically i dont think they deadlift enough… but then again what do i know…my 2cents…i was not trying to knock WS as i am a big believer in thier style, i just prefer to deadlift more often

Are these full DL’s that you’re referring to? Many strongman competitions have events that are not exactly regulation depth. Just a thought.

Strongman DLs and Powerlifting DLs are completely different lifts.

Most strongman DLs are shorter ROM and have a more advantageous grip, and sometimes straps…

The reason (IMO) that Westside DLs are “low” compared to their squats:

PL gear is more important/helpful for the squat vs. DL

Grip strength is a limiting factor in DL, but not the squat

I don’t think your comparison is accurate. A lot of the times in the strongmen contest they are deadlifting a bar that is higher up than it would be if they had regular plates. This decreases the range of motion and makes it more like a rack pull.

In addition the top deadlift from Westside of 816 is not based on total weight solely. It’s based on a coefficient which means body weight is taken into account. Vogelpohl pulled that weighing only 220. See below for the list of Westside deadlifters pulling 800 or more.

Rank Last Name First Name Lift Weight Class
1 Harold Tim 855 SHW
2 Smith Matt 850 SHW
3 Stafford John 832 275
4 Dimel Matt 821 SHW
5 Ruggiera Mike 821 SHW
6 Vogelpohl Chuck 816 220
7 Obradovic Jerry 810 308
8 Harold Tim 810 SHW
9 Meyers Jeremiah 805 275
10 Holdsworth JL 804 275
Brown Mike 804 308
12 Panora Greg 800 242
13 Paulucci Tom 800 275

Not only are some strongman deadlifts closer to rack pulls, but strongman competitors train their deadlift much more seriously than their squat.

I’ve only seen a few contests with a squat, but almost every contest has some variation of the deadlift in them.

It just comes down to the law of specific adaptation. Westside lifters don’t deadlift as much because they don’t deadlift that often, but the same could be said for many strongmen and their squat.

plus any sort of hitch/ramp. etc is allowed in strongman

Jeez, what year is this that an 800lb deadlift isnt impressive anymore? How many guys in history have deadlifted 900?

I was actually referring to full deadlifts (Svend Karlsen 410kg/902lbs, Mikhail Koklyaev 400kg/880lbs raw, Arild Haugen 400kg/880lbs, Zydrunas Savickas 400kg/880lbs so you have some references)

nonetheless, your replies cleared up a whole lot for me, thanks.

edit: I did in no way mean to downplay the achievements of the Westside guys, I should have worded my post differently.

[quote]Viking69 wrote:
Jeez, what year is this that an 800lb deadlift isnt impressive anymore? How many guys in history have deadlifted 900?[/quote]

Less than 15 ithink.

I’m going to have to say the reason strongmen deadlift more than powerlifters is because… well… they’re stronger. Whoever made the excuse that strongmen don’t deadlift as much because they deadlift from a higher starting point needs to get their head out of their ass because its bs. Strongmen have stronger deadlifts using a regular bar and using standard size plates from the floor. Alot of strongmen could step into a powerlifting competition and dominate everyone.

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
I’m going to have to say the reason strongmen deadlift more than powerlifters is because… well… they’re stronger. Whoever made the excuse that strongmen don’t deadlift as much because they deadlift from a higher starting point needs to get their head out of their ass because its bs. Strongmen have stronger deadlifts using a regular bar and using standard size plates from the floor. Alot of strongmen could step into a powerlifting competition and dominate everyone. [/quote]

The level of ignorance and idiocy on this website constantly astounds me.

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
I’m going to have to say the reason strongmen deadlift more than powerlifters is because… well… they’re stronger. Whoever made the excuse that strongmen don’t deadlift as much because they deadlift from a higher starting point needs to get their head out of their ass because its bs. Strongmen have stronger deadlifts using a regular bar and using standard size plates from the floor. Alot of strongmen could step into a powerlifting competition and dominate everyone. [/quote]

this is funny.

NOne of the lifts you cited for the strongmen occurred in meets, take Zydrunas for example who you list at over 400kilos, the biggest pull I remember him doing when he competed IPF was in the low 800’s, they may very well be able to do it, but there is a huge difference between a gym lift and a meet lift

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:

You silly silly man

[quote]jonie wrote:
I was actually referring to full deadlifts (Svend Karlsen 410kg/902lbs, Mikhail Koklyaev 400kg/880lbs raw, Arild Haugen 400kg/880lbs, Zydrunas Savickas 400kg/880lbs so you have some references)

nonetheless, your replies cleared up a whole lot for me, thanks.

edit: I did in no way mean to downplay the achievements of the Westside guys, I should have worded my post differently.[/quote]

I think it is safe to say just about every top tier pro strongmans deadlift is 800+

lol apples and oranges like everyone has pointed out both damn impressive in their chosen sport so i wont touch that.

what caught me was this “seeing as powerlifters should be more explosive than strongmen.”

what makes you feel this ive trained both and if anything makng the switch to more strongman based work the hardest thing has been getting explosive. Oly lift tecniques, push presses, jerks, hell allowing hitching, continental cleans, lifting kegs, stones, etc…

The explosive work got to me so much. I wasnt accustomed, muscle strength there tendon strength not. I blew my bi tendon,

Just found that statement odd and false IMO. not that PLers arent and need to be explosive just not nearly as a crucial part of the sport

Phill

You will see a 900 lb dead from Big Tim Harrold soon. Also, Chuck is getting close. I heard he just missed a dead of 860 or 880. Either way, look out!

[quote]kk1977 wrote:
NOne of the lifts you cited for the strongmen occurred in meets, take Zydrunas for example who you list at over 400kilos, the biggest pull I remember him doing when he competed IPF was in the low 800’s, they may very well be able to do it, but there is a huge difference between a gym lift and a meet lift[/quote]

Especially after three heavy squat attempts and three heavy bench attempts under the eyes of judges.