T Nation

Westside Bodybuilding Experiences?

Has anyone here used a Westside template for mass/hypertrophy/bodybuilding?

I know we have a long westide thread on Strength Sports, but it seems to be focused around ME and DE powerlifting workouts.

I was just curious if anybody has had success with a 4-day upper/lower split tailored towards hypertrophy.

If so, how did you structure your weekly workouts?

Joe Defranco somewhat mentions it in the WS4SB… instead of doing DE stuff, use RE (repetition effort) work, i.e. max reps on bench for a set weight. obviously the same could be done for lower body work.

[quote]throwloud wrote:
Joe Defranco somewhat mentions it in the WS4SB… instead of doing DE stuff, use RE (repetition effort) work, i.e. max reps on bench for a set weight. obviously the same could be done for lower body work.[/quote]

That makes sense, I am thinking of giving upper/lower splits 'till summer.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:

I know we have a long westide thread on Strength Sports, but it seems to be focused around ME and DE powerlifting workouts.
[/quote]

Uh, that’s because Westside is DESIGNED for powerlifters. How could you not know this?

You can’t just change a bunch of shit and call it Westside.

[quote]throwloud wrote:
Joe Defranco somewhat mentions it in the WS4SB… instead of doing DE stuff, use RE (repetition effort) work, i.e. max reps on bench for a set weight. obviously the same could be done for lower body work.[/quote]

This is pretty much the approach I have taken, and it has worked quite well. I still do DE for lower body though, usually in the form of an oly lift or squat jumps.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

Uh, that’s because Westside is DESIGNED for powerlifters. How could you not know this?

[/quote]

true

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

[/quote]

CaliforniaLaw, Louie Simmons thinks you can.

http://www.davedepew.com/info/inarchive.asp?aid=3255

Please refrain from acting like a fool.

I know we have a long westide thread on Strength Sports, but it seems to be focused around ME and DE powerlifting workouts.[/quote]

I know that many of us here at T-Nation have trained at Westside, and thus I do not understand why our Westside thread is so focused on powerlifting and particulary these so-called ME and DE sessions?

Randy

CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, whatever. CaliLaw is correct. Unless you are Louie Simmons or at the very least know what westside means, then you don’t even have any business “modifying Westside.” Joel Marion started a bad thing here, and it should be put to rest.

In my opinion training Westside is contantly modifying your training.Looking out for weak points and tayloring your training to bring these up.You wont always be weak in the same areas.

[quote]Randy Smith wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

Yeah, whatever. CaliLaw is correct. Unless you are Louie Simmons or at the very least know what westside means, then you don’t even have any business “modifying Westside.” Joel Marion started a bad thing here, and it should be put to rest.[/quote]

Our Lord and Saviour Randy Smith has spoken!

Repent oh ye heretics! Thou hast defiled the sacred teachings of St. Simmons!

Woe unto you!

I’m not claiming to be an expert, but people at Westside (Lou, Dave, etc.) have said it many times. If you haven’t trained at Westside, you aren’t doing it Westside.

Westside isn’t a template, it’s a philosophy of how to lift.

[quote]another wrote:
In my opinion training Westside is contantly modifying your training.Looking out for weak points and tayloring your training to bring these up.You wont always be weak in the same areas.[/quote]

Well, that’s another opinion, and while it isn’t wrong, it is only part of East, I mean Westside. Can it be applied to swimming, mowing the yard, or cooking?

Randy

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:
I’m not claiming to be an expert, but people at Westside (Lou, Dave, etc.) have said it many times. If you haven’t trained at Westside, you aren’t doing it Westside.

Westside isn’t a template, it’s a philosophy of how to lift. [/quote]

Chris, I really like your post, save for one thing. You really SHOULD claim to be an expert … you know, since everybody is.

Randy

HMMM Westside and BBing any one have experience./

simple look at what Dave Tate built using westside once he cut down after all the hard work

Phill

Joel Marion’s Westside Bodybuilding program

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=850882

People call their program Westside because its much shorter than explaining it and everyone knows what you’re talking about. Obviously I’m not in the gym with Louie Simmons, but I also don’t want to write “I’m doing a four day, upper/lower, ME/DE, conjugate…”

I’ve had no trouble putting on weight using westside. If it matters, I’m about 200 and 5’8’’ and my body fat is more than 10% but low enough.

If you want to be a competitive bodybuilder, you can probably find a better routine, but if you’re looking to get bigger, it’ll work just fine.

bump cuz i don’t think this kid’s question was answered

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
bump cuz i don’t think this kid’s question was answered[/quote]

I’m not a kid, but thanx.

I asked this question because I have read the “Westside” inspired routines posted in the articles section.

I understand that Westside is intended for Powerlifting, I also know that Simmons believes the westside template can be tweaked for hypertrophy gains.

I simply wanted to know if anyone on T-Nation had ever done so.

That One Guy wrote:
bump cuz i don’t think this kid’s question was answered

I’m not a kid, but thanx.

I asked this question because I have read the “Westside” inspired routines posted in the articles section.

I understand that Westside is intended for Powerlifting, I also know that Simmons believes the westside template can be tweaked for hypertrophy gains.

I simply wanted to know if anyone on T-Nation had ever done so.

[/quote]

Well pure westside in and of itself is and has hypertrophy components Its made to make you stronger and Bigger. This is what all the RE assistance work is for. If you eat for it you will get bigger and more muscular.

Phill