Westside Beginner Q's

Hello all, I recently have been doing some research into the westside conjugated method of lifting and had a few questions regarding cycles and methods. This is what I believe a beginner template should look like:

SUNDAY: DE bench 8-10x3 with 50-70% of bench 1RM. Vary grip widths this day. Explosive power being emphasized. High Intensity Triceps work and high stress side/rear/front delt work.

MON. ME squat/DL. I believe this day the performer works up to either a 1RM or 3RM max in THAT specific exercise such as the good morning. Followed with supplemental: GHR etc. and then accessory work: 1 abs (heavy) 1 lower back (reverse hyper/pull through). Followed with perhaps pre-hab work.

WED. ME Bench. Work up to 1RM or 3 RM in that specific exercise. For instance the JM press. Follow this with low intensity triceps work and low stress shoulder work and lat/upper back work.

The bench cycle for DE days goes down correct? 60%-> 55%-> 50%
in a three week cycle?

FRI. DE squat/dead. Box Squat 50-70% 1RM 8x2 emphasizing speed. Stance a little more wide than competition width. Follow with supplemental and accessory work and pre-hab.

Is this template correct?  

Also, the squat cycle and bench cycle are for DE days correct? The beginner percentages I believe are 60 65 68 70 for the 4 week wave and are based on 1RM in the squat I believe. Then if 1RM is up at the end of the 4 weeks weights are adjusted up for the next 60 65 68 70 wave correct?

I don’t think Louie advocates the use of either GM’s or JM presses as max effort exercises anymore.

I believe the bench wave is 50,55,60 going up. Unless you’re very explosive naturally I’d say you’d have problem doing speed work with 60,65,68,70.

I must admit I don’t pretend to have all the answers. I recently open a thread “westside, a plan”. Check it out for more ideas.

i have a question regarding starting using bands.

anyone have a very simplistic rotation of bands for beginners, and some advice on what type and and good place to get bands.

the more i read about them the more i think im missing out.

my lifts are

335x1 bench

405x1 squat w/ wraps

505 DL with a belt.

I found this a few weeks ago. There are a couple scripts on here to determine proper weight selection for straight weight, bands and chains. The only thing is both of those are just scripts for DE work with bands/chains. I’m still looking for a better explanation of ME work with them.

Hope this helps some

elitefts sells bands.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=138

[quote]HeavyD916 wrote:
Hello all, I recently have been doing some research into the westside conjugated method of lifting and had a few questions regarding cycles and methods. This is what I believe a beginner template should look like:

SUNDAY: DE bench 8-10x3 with 50-70% of bench 1RM. Vary grip widths this day. Explosive power being emphasized. High Intensity Triceps work and high stress side/rear/front delt work.

MON. ME squat/DL. I believe this day the performer works up to either a 1RM or 3RM max in THAT specific exercise such as the good morning. Followed with supplemental: GHR etc. and then accessory work: 1 abs (heavy) 1 lower back (reverse hyper/pull through). Followed with perhaps pre-hab work.

WED. ME Bench. Work up to 1RM or 3 RM in that specific exercise. For instance the JM press. Follow this with low intensity triceps work and low stress shoulder work and lat/upper back work.

The bench cycle for DE days goes down correct? 60%-> 55%-> 50%
in a three week cycle?

FRI. DE squat/dead. Box Squat 50-70% 1RM 8x2 emphasizing speed. Stance a little more wide than competition width. Follow with supplemental and accessory work and pre-hab.

Is this template correct?  

Also, the squat cycle and bench cycle are for DE days correct? The beginner percentages I believe are 60 65 68 70 for the 4 week wave and are based on 1RM in the squat I believe. Then if 1RM is up at the end of the 4 weeks weights are adjusted up for the next 60 65 68 70 wave correct?
[/quote]

Most of the literature doesn’t say anything about waving the %s on DE bench, but if you were going to do it then you would want to wave up. The idea is similar to progressive overload. You should do back work on both DE and ME days.

JM press is not a good ME movement. Besides it is mainly a tri movement.

Typically, you wouldn’t test your 1RM after just one dynamic wave. So, you would go through another one or two with same %s. Besides, unless you increased your lift by a lot you really aren’t going to be able to adjust the weight that much anyway.

Keep in mind that the %s are just guild lines. Speed is the most important component of DE work. If you are slow then lower the weight. When I first started doing DE cycles, 50-60% was too heavy for me. I had to start with more like 40% 45% 50%, maybe even lower. I can’t remember. It took me 3 or 4 waves before I was comfortable with higher percents. However, I wasn’t using strait weight. If are not using any sort of accommodating resistance that you will probably be able to use higher %s.

One more thing. DE work should be done with perfect form…near perfect anyway. So, if your form starts to break down even if you feel fast…lower the weight.