Westside - 3 day/week

I have read that some individuals find that the standard 4 day WS week to be too much for their individual recovery rates. For these individuals it was suggested that the same four day sequence be maintained while reducing the total weekly training to three days per week.

After about 6 weeks of tinkering with things I have settled with this for now ( I am training for raw lifts, BTW):

Sunday - Max Effort(ME) Squat/Deadlift Day

1. One of: Good mornings, Narrow Stance Box Squat, Deadlift. Working up to a max single or triple in 5 to 8 sets.

Supplemental Work (Hamstrings)
2) Stiff Leg or Romanian Deads - 3 sets

Accessory Work
3) Hypersextensions - 2 sets
4) Glute Ham Raise - 2 sets
5) Leg raises - 2 sets

Tuesday - ME Bench Day

1. One of: Flat Bench, 2 Board Press, etc. Work up to maximum single or triple in 5 to 8 sets.

Supplemental Work (Triceps)
2) Lying Tricep Extensions or Close Grip Bench - 3 sets

Accessory Work
3) Bent Barbell Rows - 3 sets
4) Side laterals - 2 sets
5) Rotator/Prehab - External Rotations - 1-2 sets

Thursday - Dynamic Effort(DE) Squat/Deadlift Day

1. Box Squats - 60% of 1RM for 10 sets of 2

Supplemental Work (Hamstrings)
2) Stiff Leg or Romanian Deads - 3 sets

Accessory Work
3) Hyperextensions - 2 Sets
4) Improvised glute/ham raise - 2 sets
5) Weighted sit-ups - 2 sets

Saturday - DE Bench Day

1. Speed Bench - 60% or 1RM for 10 sets of 3

Supplemental Work (Triceps)
2) Lying Tricep Extensions or Close Grip Bench - 3 sets

Accessory Work
3) Chins - 2 Sets
4) Laterals tri-set(front, side, rear) - 2 Tri Sets
5) Rotator/Prehab - External Rotations - 1-2 sets

I am finding that my strength on my ME days is not improving as fast as I would like. Prior to WS I had my best gains training three days per week, so I am wondering if the above may be too much. I do feel motivated to train, but I can’t help but think that maybe this is too much, so I am considering moving to the three day/week WS.

Before I experiment with the change I wanted to ask if others may have feedback on my current routine or on the three day per week idea.

BTW- Long time lurker. T-mag is without a doubt the most informative site out there. Hats off to you all. Cheers!

Can’t really comment on what you’re doing now with regards to volume etc as I’ve only just started Westside myself.

I’m doing the basic program outlined in the Eight Keys article, with a few modifications due to not having the correct equipment.

I train Mon, Wed, Fri every week. Mainly as I have a little 1 year old boy that I like to spend as much time with.

I find that training this way is just fine. I trained four times a week before my son was born and used to find it hard going sometimes.

Three times a week is fine.

I’m hoping to compete in powerlifting next year sometime. No clear goals at the moment but I trained at Westside Uk earlier this month so with a bit of guidance from Beni should be able to compete next year…

Cheers…Stubob…

Buy Joe Kenn’s “The Strength Coaches Playbook.” He’s the head strength and conditioning coach for ASU and he condensed Westside into 3 days a week.

Thanks for the reply. Are you still following the regular WS four day cycle when training three days per week?

ie.
Mon - ME Squat
Wed - ME Bench
Fri - DE Squat
Mon - DE Bench
Wed - ME Squat
Fri - ME Bench
Mon - DE Squat
etc., etc.

Anyone else making progress on a this reduced frequency WS?

I just cut back from 4 days/wk to that same split… I think Jim Wendler at EFS was thinking about doing the same. I have a feeling this might work even better because I’ve been feeling kind of beat up lately, but I’ll find out in the coming weeks.

Sorry, I should’ve said… Yes that’s the split that I use…

Only just started but really enjoying it at the moment…

Cheers…Stubob…