Western IQ Dropping

A new study from researchers in Europe claims that the average IQ in Western nations dropped by a staggering 14.1 points over the past century…

Interesting but conflicts with this - Flynn effect - Wikipedia - which I think is a pretty well established and accepted phenomena. I’m surprised it’s not addressed in that article.

Western IQs are dropping?

People gots to read more Louis L’amour and watch themselfs “True Grit” few more times.

lol

[quote]Nards wrote:
Western IQs are dropping?

People gots to read more Louis L’amour and watch themselfs “True Grit” few more times.[/quote]

More Linklater films, free Linklater for everyone!

Dont be to qwiick to juge or your going to loose credability.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Dont be to qwiick to juge or your going to loose credability.[/quote]
*boing

It began with BLAZING SADDLES.

Seriously though, this is great news for sharp sales people and PUA’s…They’re like kids in candy stores with all
the dumbasses and dizzy broads to take advantage of now.
Many theories are out there as to WHY…Texting as a main form of communication is a big part of it,
young people’s social intelligence is dropping like a rock…not relating face to face as often anymore.

GMO’s and more ‘‘junk food’’ out there more than ever is another part of it…the Brain needs blood flow,
and anything that blocks blood flow up there is just gonna make one consistently stupid, foggy and indecisive.

[quote]Karado wrote:
It began with BLAZING SADDLES.

Seriously though, this is great news for sharp sales people and PUA’s…They’re like kids in candy stores with all
the dumbasses and dizzy broads to take advantage of now.
Many theories are out there as to WHY…Texting as a main form of communication is a big part of it,
young people’s social intelligence is dropping like a rock…not relating face to face as often anymore.

GMO’s and more ‘‘junk food’’ out there more than ever is another part of it…the Brain needs blood flow,
and anything that blocks blood flow up there is just gonna make one consistently stupid, foggy and indecisive.
[/quote]

I think you are ignoring the macro for the micro here.

Our lives (in the Western world) are infinitely easier now that 50, 100, 200 years ago, let alone 1,000, 2,000, 8,800 years ago.

It takes significantly less “smarts” to survive now than it did before, and people in general are less educated than they were in the late 18th century. Just because we can put together a machine that can let you have a real time conversation with someone on the other side of the Earth doesn’t make us as a whole smarter…

This means dumbshits that otherwise would have died off or been thinned from the heard by the harsh realities of not making smart choices, are now alive and passing their stupidity down to their kids…

Jesus H just look at the internet. The entirety of human knowledge at your finger tips in the matter of fractions of a second, and what do we do? look at pictures of vaginas and stupid fucking cat pics with misspelled words on them.

The irony huh?
We have the most info at our fingertips to enrich and educate ourselves than ever before
in human history with the internet and…and… hey is that Kim Kardashian’s nipple I see through her swimsuit?
Ahem…You say the “macro”, I say the “micro”, you say “Tomato”, I say “Tomahhto” , I am “Karado”,
and I got to go go.

[quote]Karado wrote:

Ahem…You say the “macro”, I say the “micro”, you say “Tomato”, I say “Tomahhto” , I am “Karado”,
and I got to go go.[/quote]

That’s an 80’s pop song chorus you have right there. You missed out man, that could have been a club hit.

[quote]Countingbeans wrote:
It takes significantly less “smarts” to survive now than it did before, and people in general are less educated than they were in the late 18th century. Just because we can put together a machine that can let you have a real time conversation with someone on the other side of the Earth doesn’t make us as a whole smarter…
[/quote]
psst… you’re being sarcastic right?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Countingbeans wrote:
[/quote]
psst… you’re being sarcastic right?[/quote]

No

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
It takes significantly less “smarts” to survive now than it did before, and people in general are less educated than they were in the late 18th century.

This means dumbshits that otherwise would have died off or been thinned from the heard by the harsh realities of not making smart choices, are now alive and passing their stupidity down to their kids…[/quote]

Amen…of course it has always been the case that some take advantage of circumstances and some fall prey to them.

I haven’t read the article, but you cannot compare IQ across generations. The tests are really design to show differences within a population. Different tests on people with different backgrounds aren’t really comparable on absolute values.

That said, I do think people are getting dumber and less intellectually stimulated and challenged on the average.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Our lives (in the Western world) are infinitely easier now that 50, 100, 200 years ago, let alone 1,000, 2,000, 8,800 years ago.

This means dumbshits that otherwise would have died off or been thinned from the heard by the harsh realities of not making smart choices, are now alive and passing their stupidity down to their kids…

Jesus H just look at the internet. The entirety of human knowledge at your finger tips in the matter of fractions of a second, and what do we do? look at pictures of vaginas and stupid fucking cat pics with misspelled words on them.[/quote]

While the survival aspect is certainly true, I don’t believe the education aspect at all.

I think you would find that in the late 1700’s there were certainly some brilliant minds but that the majority of citizens were lucky to make it past the eight grade. University was for the privileged few, and given our humble backgrounds (yours and mine) it is highly unlikely we would have received higher education.

Now common sense, that is another story.

Not a believer in the “life is easier now” as a primary explanation since IQ has a large genetic competent to it.

I think it said it in the article but nowadays people with high IQs have fewer children because it leads to a more comfortable life.

Why financially burden yourself with 3-5 children when you can have 0-2 and live comfortably?

In the past, people needed to have more children on average as infant mortality was substantially higher, there were more farming communities meaning large families were needed to work the land and contraception hadn’t been invented yet.

Oh, and a fun factoid. Alfred Binet, the guy that invented the IQ test, is also my doppelganger.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Oh, and a fun factoid. Alfred Binet, the guy that invented the IQ test, is also my doppelganger.[/quote]

He’s a gorilla?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Oh, and a fun factoid. Alfred Binet, the guy that invented the IQ test, is also my doppelganger.[/quote]

“He is not my doppleganger.”