Westboro Baptist Church Sued

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:

And wouldn’t it be nice if one of the card-carrying members of Rolling Thunder got shoved in the chest by one of these slithering wackos…?[/quote]

I was watching that guy interviewed on TV. He sued because he SAW THEM ON TV DURING THE WAKE. This country is full of pussies.

mike

[quote]hedo wrote:
It’s not a First Ammendment issue. The court is not allowing the government to restrict the free speech of the church which is what the forst Ammendment protects.

What the court is doing is saying the the unprovable and and unfounded claims that the church is blasting outside of religious services being held for servicemen is causing damage to the families of these servicemen. It then assigned a value for the damages and assessed those damages to the church.[/quote]

What kind of damage is it costing? They are getting their FEELINGS hurt.[quote]

With freedom comes responsibility. [/quote]

Yes, the responsibility to respect other people’s freedom.

[quote]
The church is violating every possible community standard and showing no decency at all in their behavior. In effect they have abdicated any sort of responsibility of societal behavior and in doing so caused harm to others. If they simply chanted their beliefs in a public square they would be fine. Shouting them at a private family religous service of mourning is what’s not acceptable.[/quote]

The father saw them protesting on TV during the wake. On TV. They weren’t busting into the procession. They weren’t using bullhorns to drown out the funeral service. They were picketing with their retard signs.[quote]

And to be honest I think it would be absolutely fair to have law enforcement and the courts turn their back and let the Freedom Riders and the friends of the fallen handle this problem on the spot. Some people just beg for an ass kicking.[/quote]

No, law enforcement shouldn’t turn their back. His buddies should have kicked the shit out of them and taken responsibility for it like men.

mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

I was watching that guy interviewed on TV. He sued because he SAW THEM ON TV DURING THE WAKE. This country is full of pussies.[/quote]

Did you read the piece? Damages were awarded for invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress, both stemming from the picketing of the funeral.

You can think they are “pussies” all you want, but private torts exist to handle these kinds of problems and always have. Making someone pay for dishonoring the burial of your son is no act of cowardice or weakness, in my view.

How would you handle a bunch of vile strangers trying to interrupt the burial of your fallen son? Let me guess - a bunch of juvenile bluster about showing them who is “boss”. Well, here is news for you - this father’s act of restraint in this case (instead of lashing out) might inflict more vengeance than any punch to the face ever could. The wrath of the father in this case is far worse than it would have been had he went looking for a fistfight.

Every freedom is tethered to a duty - and the system of private torts is part of keeping that real in a world where yipsters increasingly believe actions have no consequences.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:

I was watching that guy interviewed on TV. He sued because he SAW THEM ON TV DURING THE WAKE. This country is full of pussies.

Did you read the piece? Damages were awarded for invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress, both stemming from the picketing of the funeral.

You can think they are “pussies” all you want, but private torts exist to handle these kinds of problems and always have. Making someone pay for dishonoring the burial of your son is no act of cowardice or weakness, in my view.

How would you handle a bunch of vile strangers trying to interrupt the burial of your fallen son? Let me guess - a bunch of juvenile bluster about showing them who is “boss”. Well, here is news for you - this father’s act of restraint in this case (instead of lashing out) might inflict more vengeance than any punch to the face ever could. The wrath of the father in this case is far worse than it would have been had he went looking for a fistfight.

Every freedom is tethered to a duty - and the system of private torts is part of keeping that real in a world where yipsters increasingly believe actions have no consequences.[/quote]

Very, very well said.

I concur.

I look at it like this. Time and money go into holding a funeral. So, if one has the means and intent to diminish the service, and does, then they should be held responsible in some way. At least for the entire cost.

It isn’t really something that can be done over again. They have to the right to be scum, but they should have to reimburse the cost of the service they’ve ruined.

Mike I didn’t see the interview you are referring to. I did listen to an interview where the father said he could have dealt with the issue of the protestors at the funeral but they also were mailing him things and calling him on the phone at all hours of the night with the same bullshit.

If that isn’t harassment what is? Telemarketers are prevented from doing this if you don’t want to be called. Does the father of a dead boy have to put up with this crap?

They need to respect people’s freedom to mourn in peace and keep their message to themselves if it’s not welcomed. It’s not politics it’s religion.

[quote]hedo wrote:
Mike I didn’t see the interview you are referring to. I did listen to an interview where the father said he could have dealt with the issue of the protestors at the funeral but they also were mailing him things and calling him on the phone at all hours of the night with the same bullshit.

If that isn’t harassment what is? Telemarketers are prevented from doing this if you don’t want to be called. Does the father of a dead boy have to put up with this crap?

They need to respect people’s freedom to mourn in peace and keep their message to themselves if it’s not welcomed. It’s not politics it’s religion.[/quote]

I was actually channel surfing and ran into him being interviewed on O’Reilly. He made no mention of the stuff you just said. He just talked about how great a service it was until he saw them on TV during the wake. I actually agree. Free speech does not go so far as to allow you to invade my home. What you’re referring to is actual harassment and I would consider it criminally wrong, not just civilly. I am left wondering why he didn’t mention that during the interview. He made it sound as if they were picketing the funeral, but didn’t get in the way, but when he saw them getting airtime on TV during the wake he decided to sue.

mike

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Should there be a statute of limitations on how long we should “respect” the dead? Say, 4 generations?

“Sorry great-great-great-grandpa, your time is up. We need to get this Wal-Bucks built.”[/quote]

We need to bury people deeper so their bodies don’t get in the way of building foundations.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

No, law enforcement shouldn’t turn their back. His buddies should have kicked the shit out of them and taken responsibility for it like men.

mike[/quote]

Yea, he should have handed the church a lawsuit on a silver platter and padded his arrest record. What a pussy.

Shed blood, or deliver a $10.9 million knockout (we can only hope) blow? Tough choice.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Should there be a statute of limitations on how long we should “respect” the dead? Say, 4 generations?

“Sorry great-great-great-grandpa, your time is up. We need to get this Wal-Bucks built.”

We need to bury people deeper so their bodies don’t get in the way of building foundations.[/quote]

I already though of a solution for this. Simply forgo a coffin and dredge the corpses in lye to help with tissue breakdown. The bodies will be fully decomposed in a manner of weeks in a moist environment – the only thing remaining will be traces of DNA stains and bone hulls.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

“Sorry great-great-great-grandpa, your time is up. We need to get this Wal-Bucks built.”

We need to bury people deeper so their bodies don’t get in the way of building foundations.

I already though of a solution for this. Simply forgo a coffin and dredge the corpses in lye to help with tissue breakdown. The bodies will be fully decomposed in a manner of weeks in a moist environment – the only thing remaining will be traces of DNA stains and bone hulls.[/quote]

Biodiesel

I guess God hates people who order him to hate gays.