West Side Style Routines

To any of you powerlifters who train Westside style i.e. two max effort and two dynamic training days per week, when would it be best to incorporate some additional back work? Should I throw it in on squat days or add a couple more very short back workouts per week? Additionally, my gym does not have a reverse hyper machine. What is the next best exercise? Good mornings? Glute/ham raises?

THE Q & A AND ARTICLES ON THIS SITE SHOULD TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.

i use pull throughs as a sustitute for reverse hypers…

I have had great results using several small “extra” workouts per week. Never more than 20 minutes. For lower back strength, good morinings with either a sandbag or green band right after sled workouts is getting good results. Also a good way to do reverse hypers if you don’t have a machine is to do them on a regular hyperextension bench, facing the wrong way. Hold on where your feet usuallly go. You can use bands or dumbells for resistance. Be crative!

WSB guys usually row as a bench assistance exercise. If the lats are the weak point, they’ll add one or two smaller workouts a week.
As for the reverse hyper bit, you should be using pull-throughs, GHRs, and lots of GMs, anyway, so the reverse hypers won’t be a terrible loss.