West Side For Skinny Basterds - For a Wrestler

Hey everyone, I’m a free style wrestler from ontario canada, i weigh 155 currently and I’m 19 years old at 5 feet 11 inches tall, I’ve been lifting for about 4 years but likely not as well as i could be. Don’t get me wrong my form on the main lifts are good but i have a hard time gaining weight due to the Wrestling. And i often find sticking to a program is difficult because of wrestling, i don’t want to over train. I was wondering what people could tell me about WSFSB. My diet is clean and a regular day usually looks like this.

Breakfest-

3 whole eggs
1 bowl cheereos with whole milk
2 peaces of fruit

Snack -

3 - 5 Handfuls of mixed unsalted nuts
500ml water

Lunch -

1 can tuna
2 slices whole grain bread
2- 3 tsp. mayo
1 whole avocado
500ml water

after workout -

1 cup raw oats
1 scoop whey protein
500ml whole milk

Dinner -

1 steak or 1 chicken breast
3 - 5 small white potatoes or 1 baked sweet potato
hald a plate of salad
500ml Orange juice

snack -

yogurt
cottage cheese
fruit

Just looking for some advice about the program and diet, I’m looking to bring my self up to 165 - 170

you need to eat more mate, but I guess you probably knew that already.

add some protein to your morning snack, and eat much bigger meals. You’re eating the right stuff, you just need to eat more of it.

You gotta realize that this program was originally designed to get off-season football players ready for the combine. That’s not to say it won’t work for other athletes, just that (in my opinion) it shouldn’t be used for too long. In my experience, you make quick gains for a few weeks then burnout FAST. You’d be better served doing a percentage based program focusing on linear progression and eating more.

Its a solid program but it is a LOT to recover from. I found it nearly impossible to train martial arts more than even twice a week while making progress.

This is best used during an offseason, where you arent focused on your conditioning or getting into fight shape, and coupled with A LOT of food.

Andrew, you’re young enough to get away with nutritional murder. Eat pretty much anything that gets put in front of you and train your arse off. ‘Clean’ food is not the fastest approach to getting bigger. I second RDS’s call for more protein. And maybe ditch the Cheerios for ordinary oats.

If you’re in a competitive school programme, or something like it I really am surprised that you aren’t being required to go to mandatory weight training or something. That said, if you are competitive and the weight training is cutting into your martial arts training time, then you do need to cut back on the weight training. Sit back, look at your routine honestly and find time to lift. But don’t try and lift every day. Get a programme that taxes you a few times week. Otherwise you’ll burn out and your wrestling will be the first thing that suffers.

[quote]Andrewcarr224 wrote:

Breakfest-
3 whole eggs
1 bowl cheereos with whole milk
2 peaces of fruit
[/quote]

Breakfast - 3,4,5 whole eggs and/or egg whites scrambled with some ground turkey and 1/2 cup veggies
add carbs as needed

Snack -
3 - 5 Handfuls of mixed unsalted nuts
500ml water
[/quote]

Snacks - Mixed nuts, protein shake, cottage cheese, yogurt, fruit, beef/ turkey jerky, veggies with hummus

Lunch -

1 can tuna
2 slices whole grain bread
2- 3 tsp. mayo
1 whole avocado
500ml water
[/quote]

Lunch - 2 cans of tuna, 2-4 Tbsp of greek yogurt, avocado, and 1/2 cup veggies (mustard, relish, olive oil, coconut oil to taste)
carbs as needed

after workout -

1 cup raw oats
1 scoop whey protein
500ml whole milk
[/quote]

Within 30 minutes of workout - search this site
within 30 minutes of postworkout - see above

1-1.5 hours after workout - 2 chicken breasts, carbs (your choice)

Dinner -

1 steak or 1 chicken breast
3 - 5 small white potatoes or 1 baked sweet potato
hald a plate of salad
500ml Orange juice
[/quote]

Dinner - how big is 1 steak? 8oz? 18oz? and the OJ out
Anyways 2 chicken breasts and 1 cup veggies
carbs not recommended, but up to you

snack -

yogurt
cottage cheese
fruit

Just looking for some advice about the program and diet, I’m looking to bring my self up to 165 - 170
[/quote]

Preferably use coconut oil for cooking, add healthy fats as needed

Add an extra 1000 calories
Week 1 + 200 calories
Week 2 + 200 cal more then the week before
Week 3 do this until you are 1000 cal up from your starting point. Then go back down for 2 weeks and start over. You sound like you have a fast metabo but there is more to it that and i am WAY to lazy to type all that. So for now %50 should be more protein and %50 should be from carbs (sweet potatoes, sprouted grains, organic brown rice) Def need to add coconut oil.

As for Westside’s Program NO NO NO that is an off season program ! You are better off doing 5,3,1 boring but big without any of the conditioning. But you still need to autoregulate yourself you can still overtrain.

Hope this helps good luck brother.