T Nation

We're Weaker Than Men from the Past

And stronger than men from the future :

http://www.canada.com/technology/Prehistoric+faster+than+todays+best+athletes/2106548/story.html

We are just not trying hard enough !

I wrote up a big post picking apart that whole thing, but between his jumping around between DIFFERENT SPECIES of man I won’t even bother.

Neanderthals were a different species that carried a lot more muscle mass, yes. But we out-competed the shit out of them and drove their jacked asses to extinction. That’s just the way it is.

The fact that he jumped between neanderthals and our species like it was no big deal bugged me.

Plus I really, really, really doubt some of the info he came up with about older civilizations.

We are, at least the athletes of today, the strongest, fittest homo sapiens to ever walk the face of the earth.

I believe it. I remember being in 5th grade and there was only 2 fat kids on the yard, me and another. Now, i go to pick up my little cousin and everyone is fat with obese parents.

The “worst” man? Obviously we weren’t because were here and neanderthal is extinct.

Who cares? We’re smarter. We invented toilet paper. That alone makes us winners.

“Any Neanderthal woman could have beaten former bodybuilder and current California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in an arm wrestle.”

Yeah, but I still wouldn’t want to fuck her.

I’m interested to know how he can determine rate of travel from foot prints without a time measurement. Some may say it’s based on stride length or something but how do we know they didn’t simply have longer strides?

I’m sure many of the supposed feats have been embellished over time as they slipped into legend.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
I wrote up a big post picking apart that whole thing, but between his jumping around between DIFFERENT SPECIES of man I won’t even bother.

Neanderthals were a different species that carried a lot more muscle mass, yes. But we out-competed the shit out of them and drove their jacked asses to extinction. That’s just the way it is.

The fact that he jumped between neanderthals and our species like it was no big deal bugged me.

Plus I really, really, really doubt some of the info he came up with about older civilizations.

We are, at least the athletes of today, the strongest, fittest homo sapiens to ever walk the face of the earth.[/quote]

Some scientists believe that humans/neanderthal hybrids were possible. This point of view is not shared by the majority of scientists but it is worth noting.

What I find interesting is the idea that training early and intesively could change a lot in the matter of performance.

i think the bell curve of human performance is being streched out.

as ghost said, we have some of the fittest, strongest humans ever presently.

and as johnson said, every motherfriggin kid is like the g’damn kool aid man now.

I seriously doubt the part about tribes in Rwanda high jumping 2.52 meters so recently in the early 20th century. What happened to them? Did they lose the ability all of a sudden?

lol

I would echo what one poster above pointed out. We couldn’t be the “worst men”, simply because we exist and have survived, when they haven’t.

Just because we traded brain capacity for physical prowess doesn’t mean we are losers.

i didnt read the whole article yet but scientists say that we have been stunted and weakened as a species since the dawn of agriculture and when we started eating carbs in high amounts our bodies had a sort of allergic reaction. They say we have recently “recovered”. maybe a little relevent but the athletes today especially in the NFL are the cream of the crop.

What about kids from eastern Europe/China who are selected and trained from an early age?

I don’t see how some malnourished tribesman from 40,000 years ago could beat them.

Roman legions did march 20 miles a day carrying 80lb packs but they trained everyday with that weight for years…a term of service was 25 years. Athenian oarsmen were specially trained…it was there job and there lives literally depended on being able to row its not a hobby you do on the weekends its everyday.

[quote]Big Aristotle wrote:
Who cares? We’re smarter. We invented toilet paper. That alone makes us winners.

“Any Neanderthal woman could have beaten former bodybuilder and current California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in an arm wrestle.”

Yeah, but I still wouldn’t want to fuck her. [/quote]

But, could she beat this guy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...esque-limb.html

Also, I would agree that sleeping with her probably wouldn’t be fun, she’s gotta be a couple of million years old.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

lol

I would echo what one poster above pointed out. We couldn’t be the “worst men”, simply because we exist and have survived, when they haven’t.

Just because we traded brain capacity for physical prowess doesn’t mean we are losers.[/quote]

In the last 40000 years, we haven’t evolved enough for it to matter, so the question is not about trading brains for brawn.

What did happen is that our way of life changed. When your life depends on your muscular strength and your hunting skills and all you’ve got is a spear, I’m pretty sure that your mind/body will find ways to adapt, ways that include throwing harder and further.

Hunger is one of the strongest motivators, but we are no longer hungry.

Uh…we’re different species than the other earlier ‘examples’ of man. Different branches down the treeline, we’d have co-existed except that they were wiped out, and through natural selection we propagated our species.

It’s not like homo sapiens have changed from being much larger and stronger to weaker and smarter, that was a different species of the Genus Homo. We’ve always been weaker and smarter.

Another pussy, another man hater. Another man trading in his balls for poon. Why do people hate men so much, just because we are supreme beings mentally and physically? Why do other men hate men. That’s like me saying my dick is the worst dick ever just because it gets more pussy than my face.