T Nation

Went for Blood Workup

I went for my yearly physical and asked the my good friend who is also my doctor for a Test level check of my blood. However I remember reading here once that there was a certain protocol or testing work up needed. Am I right or is my ageing mind failing me?

Thanks
Rob Allen

You will find your answers if you use your aging eyeballs to find the first thread in this forum, "Lab Work, Blood Testing and Symptoms ".

[quote]dooright wrote:
You will find your answers if you use your aging eyeballs to find the first thread in this forum, "Lab Work, Blood Testing and Symptoms ".

[/quote]

I did so you can put the gun down Mr Doright.

PS:If I read this correctly, there are six (6) necessary labs to be done before TRT:

1. LH and FSH
  2. TT
  3. FT or bio-T
  4. E2
  5. PSA
  6. DRE

Does every Dr know the abbreviations?

Rob

Depending on age, PSA and DRE may not be necessary…

The tests that you listed are the “bare minimum” so to speak and only in a TRT context–if you have other issues that are mainfiesting themselves as low T (or even indirectly causing low T) they will not be caught. This is less of a problem for older men, IMO.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Depending on age, PSA and DRE may not be necessary…

The tests that you listed are the “bare minimum” so to speak and only in a TRT context–if you have other issues that are mainfiesting themselves as low T (or even indirectly causing low T) they will not be caught. This is less of a problem for older men, IMO.[/quote]

Thanks for adding to my confusion. :wink:

Can you elaborate or detail a better test protocol?

Rob

How old are you? What are your symptoms? You haven’t given us much info to work with.

If you just want a sanity check, those tests (minus the DRE and PSA) are likely fine. TSH for thyroid function, and Cortisol for adrenal function wouldn’t hurt either. BUt again, it would depend on any symptoms you have.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
How old are you? What are your symptoms? You haven’t given us much info to work with.

If you just want a sanity check, those tests (minus the DRE and PSA) are likely fine. TSH for thyroid function, and Cortisol for adrenal function wouldn’t hurt either. BUt again, it would depend on any symptoms you have.[/quote]

I’m 52.
5’11
180 w/clothes
Very active and energetic (almost hyper lol)
Married 31 years
Own 4 business’s and take care of elderly mother in bad health+lots stress
Financially well off
Approx 14-18% bf educated guess
Worked out on and off for 15 years.
Small framed American Indian hard gainer weighed 120 at wedding and 135 at 34 years old when I started working out
Never done steriods
Protein and creatine on and off through years
Open to pharma esp w/age now test prob decreasing
Tried S-Roid followed by Test-5. Worked well but told need (PCT) prescript to balance back. But didn’t and seem fine.
Diet pretty decent through years,1/2 organic and 1/2 I don’t care

Present workout;
3 days a week,10 sets x 3 reps,3 exercises focusing on core lifts
Alt A & B to keep variety up
Work out to failure
Try to strongly stimulate but not annihilate muscles
If I don’t feel rested I don’t work out again till I do. Sometimes 3-4 extra days. Bad or good?
Want more muscle and more definition. Have symptoms mentioned on tv commercial do you have Low T (I know,I know,drug co tests but still I ain’t gettin’ no younger)
Test seems logical solution.

Rob

Everyone stumped?

[quote]suprarob wrote:
Everyone stumped?[/quote]

VT pretty much gave you the answer. If you want to check out the major things start with the tests mentioned.

All doctors should know what the abbreviated terms are.

There was one case where a guy said his doctor called LH ‘lady hormone’. If that happens get up and leave.

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:

[quote]suprarob wrote:
Everyone stumped?[/quote]

VT pretty much gave you the answer. If you want to check out the major things start with the tests mentioned.

All doctors should know what the abbreviated terms are.

There was one case where a guy said his doctor called LH ‘lady hormone’. If that happens get up and leave.[/quote]

lol ok.

not stumped but you caught me on a weekend and I know that I have a high post count, but contrary to popular belief I do maintain some semblance of a life outside of T-Nation :slight_smile:

So what are your symptoms, exactly? The stuff from the tv commercial is shared by about 50 other metabolic and hormonal disorders, all to a varying degree. So you’re going to have to give us more to go on than that.

You sound pretty busy–hard to get all that done if you truly are Low T, but some guys manage to cope with it better than others so I’m not dismissing anything.

Are S-Roid and Test-5 prohormones? How long ago did you take them? And how long after you stopped taking them did symptoms appear (or were they there before)?