T Nation

Wendy's Natural Cut Fries?

I do not eat fast food, but i want to know since wendys is bragging about their new natural cut fries, what where the old fries? not real potato's? anyone know?

As caveman said, think of it as diet coke and coke zero. They're effectively the same product, (albeit with ever so slightly different sweeteners), but coke zero was realeased and marketed in a way that tried to appeal to men, as their marketing research found that due to the way diet coke was advertised, very few men were buying it. So with the natural fries thing, i imagine the product is extremely similair, maybe with an organic fertiliser used instead of a chemical one, or a different oil used to cook them. The main difference is the marketing being aimed at people who are trying to eat healthier or more natural, in order to get them to buy the product.

Not sure but they are delicious.

I was thinking more along the lines that the old fries where processed potato and filler glued back together and extracted in the shape of fries. aka not 100% potato.

It would cost more to do that so I don't see them doing it just to make fast food shitty.

Anyone seen the recent daily show episode on how Taco Bell only uses 36% actual beef in their "meat"?

Not really a surprise. Fuck fast food and it's fake-ass taste!

Wendy's is delicious.

I eat them 3 times a week and look how beautiful I am.

Fast food is nasty. And only god knows whats in it. Yeah i saw that about Taco bell. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Not to mention that the people who cook it are not cleanly and don't care about the product they are putting out. I can only imagine the shit that goes on in those kitchens.

taco bell meat is not supposed to be 100% ground beef tho..

it is a mixture used in tacos....

if i made a taco mixture from scratch, it would not be 100% beef...it would be like 50%...you have to put seasonings and some other ingredients to make it taste better...

Uuuuugh, maybe not 100%, but it should be over 90%. I mean how much spice and seasoning can you pack in there?

Do you have a reasoning behind this, or are you just making stuff up? Using a process that reconstitutes potatoes from parts that are more easily shipped and stored longer without worrying about rotting can easily be economical. In another case, look at Jif peanut butter. Peanut butter is just peanuts, and salt if you want to get fancy. Ten percent of Jif isn't either of thse products, and yet it still exists, despite being more complicated to make than plain ol' peanut butter.

The actual ground beef should be 100% ground beef...

but, the meat mixture is what these people are complaining about...the only strange ingredient they are using in the mixture is oat starch....they are using it as a thickening agent...Otherwise, the mixture would be very watery...

I manage to make seasoned ground beef with nothing but...ground beef and seasoning. I must have stumbled on some amazing secret that lets me accomplish this without adding "thickening agents" or "binders" or "flavor enhancers" of any kind.

Taco Bell's PR guy claimed that without these ingredients ground beef is bland and flavorless...doesn't really sound like any ground beef that I'm familiar with.

they use:
Beef, Water, Seasoning [Isolated Oat Product, Salt, Chili Pepper, Onion Powder, Tomato Powder, Oats (Wheat), Soy Lecithin, Sugar, Spices, Maltodextrin, Soybean Oil (Anti-dusting Agent), Garlic Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Cocoa Powder (Processed With Alkali), Silicon Dioxide, Natural Flavors, Yeast, Modified Corn Starch, Natural Smoke Flavor], Salt, Sodium Phosphates. CONTAINS SOYBEAN, WHEAT

...i'm off to get me some tacos

mmmm, just like mom use to make

Sadly, talking is not becoming on you.

what? i don't get it.