Wendler's 5/3/1 Spreadsheet by Jon K

[quote]GaWd wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff[/quote]

Thanks for noticing the rounding problem - it’s been fixed (latest is v 1.15).

As for the stats page, the weight x sets was your suggestion in an earlier post. I’m leaving it as it is because the projected growth in 1RM is linear, and tracking it doesn’t provide any information about the user. Weight x sets gives the user a good way to see his progress from cycle to cycle (e.g. if he can lift a heavier weight with more or the same number of reps as the last cycle).

[quote]blake b wrote:
Great spreadsheet. Any chance you will make one for those of us who only do 2 days/week with no deload week?[/quote]

Thanks blake. I made the spreadsheet for the generic 5/3/1 program and it’s not feasible at the moment for me to create different permutations as I can only work on the spreadsheet after work (late hours) and on limited weekends. Sorry!

I’d suggest hiding columns D and E and ignoring the dates. You can also modify the percentages accordingly.

[quote]poteto wrote:

[quote]GaWd wrote:
A whole bunch of stuff[/quote]

Thanks for noticing the rounding problem - it’s been fixed (latest is v 1.15).

As for the stats page, the weight x sets was your suggestion in an earlier post. I’m leaving it as it is because the projected growth in 1RM is linear, and tracking it doesn’t provide any information about the user. Weight x sets gives the user a good way to see his progress from cycle to cycle (e.g. if he can lift a heavier weight with more or the same number of reps as the last cycle).
[/quote]

Ah. I wasn’t being clear. My bad.

weightxreps is more like workload, not 1RM. 1RM is as I mentioned above. Changed or not, I think it’s a great spreadsheet.

I would vote for a 1 RM tracker as well. I think it would be great to see hw this changes during a year.

If you want to add 1RM tracking use the following formula:

=D350.03333C35+D35

Which is

=[weight].03333[reps]+[weight]

It’s easy enough to incorporate.

Hey,

I think I’ve finally understood what you meant by 1RM. You’re projecting 1RM based on the top workset’s weight and reps.

Uploaded v 1.2 in my first post.

Poteto,

I need help with the “Days Worked Out” portion of the Inputs page.

I started 5/3/1 on 11/15/2010 using the 3-day template (Mon, Wed, Thur, Mon) and need to know how to input that. I tried and can’t get the dates to line up on the spreadsheet. For instance: my days are SP/DL/BP/SQ and my next squat day should be 1/26/2011 on Cycle 3. It keeps showing the 1/24/2011.

Thank you. And awesome spreadheet.

[quote]tearsnrain wrote:
Poteto,

I need help with the “Days Worked Out” portion of the Inputs page.

I started 5/3/1 on 11/15/2010 using the 3-day template (Mon, Wed, Thur, Mon) and need to know how to input that. I tried and can’t get the dates to line up on the spreadsheet. For instance: my days are SP/DL/BP/SQ and my next squat day should be 1/26/2011 on Cycle 3. It keeps showing the 1/24/2011.

Thank you. And awesome spreadheet.[/quote]

Glad you like the spreadsheet.

If your SQ and SP day is on a Monday, then 1/24/2011 is correct (it is a Monday; the 26th is a Wednesday). However if your 3-day template is not consistent in allocating the exercise to one specific day (e.g. SQ on Monday consistently for all cycles), then the spreadsheet won’t work. Do let me know if I have misunderstood.

Cheers.

Yeah, since it is a 3-day template (M/W/F), the days aren’t the same. So one week might be SP/DL/BP, next would be SQ/SP/DL, next would be BP/SQ/SP, and so on. I guess when I go back to using 4 days a week for 5/3/1 I’ll use this, since it’s pretty choice. Or I’ll have to brush up on my Excel big time and figure out how to modify this for 2 and 3 day templates.

Regardless, thank you for this spreadsheet.

Just got my 5-3-1 book on Saturday! I loaded my numbers in the spreadsheet and am ready to go. The spreadsheet is awesome and saved me a buttload of time…Thanks!

I’m going to join in with everyone else here and say that this is an excellent spreadsheet, and many thanks for the time you spent putting it all together.

That being said, I do have a question for you about it.

I’m using kilograms for my weight unit, and I entered 2.5 in the round to nearest input box. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to like the decimal point, and keeps rounding by 3 instead (e.g. rounds to 68 instead of 67.5).

Also, if I reorder the lifts, it also seems as if the input that governs weight increase from cycle to cycle doesn’t change with it. What I mean is that if I move bench to the first lift (instead of squat), that the Increments (SQ/DL) cell info is being used to calculate the increase from cycle to cycle.

Now, I know very little about formulas in excel, so I’m pretty confused on how to make the changes I need to make. If you could help me out with that, I’d certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.

[quote]OsakaNate wrote:
I’m going to join in with everyone else here and say that this is an excellent spreadsheet, and many thanks for the time you spent putting it all together.

I’m using kilograms for my weight unit, and I entered 2.5 in the round to nearest input box. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to like the decimal point, and keeps rounding by 3 instead (e.g. rounds to 68 instead of 67.5).

Also, if I reorder the lifts, it also seems as if the input that governs weight increase from cycle to cycle doesn’t change with it. What I mean is that if I move bench to the first lift (instead of squat), that the Increments (SQ/DL) cell info is being used to calculate the increase from cycle to cycle.

Now, I know very little about formulas in excel, so I’m pretty confused on how to make the changes I need to make. If you could help me out with that, I’d certainly appreciate it.

Thanks.[/quote]

For the rounding, try changing the formatting of the cells that list all the weights in the main worksheet. Right-click → Format cells → Number. Choose the category to be “number”, then set it to 1 decimal place. That seemed to work for me. You’ll have to do this for all the cells, but you can select them all at once.

As for the increments, I just changed the order in the Inputs worksheet too. I think that’ll only work if you alternate upper and lower body each session though…

OP, great work on the spreadsheet too.

hi guys great spreadsheet! i’m slightly struggling however because i’m using Wendler’s two day a week program, with only 2 main lifts per week (1 each session) but when i ype in my days worked out and i put monday, thursday, monday, thursday it doesn’t register and seems to think that i am squatting and doing my deeds on the same day which i am certainly not.

Can anyone help???

much appreciated

i also need to get rid of the deload as it is no longer needed, hahaha i know im asking a lot here but if i uploaded my version of the spreadsheet(with my weights etc.) any one wanna give it a go??

Thanks

i also need to get rid of the deload as it is no longer needed, hahaha i know im asking a lot here but if i uploaded my version of the spreadsheet(with my weights etc.) any one wanna give it a go??

Thanks

[quote]OsakaNate wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

Hey Nate,

Just uploaded a fixed version. You can now specify your own increments per lift even if they are re-arranged and renamed - see my first post for the DL link. Cheers! Also, what iLikePi said about the rounding is correct.

Glad you like the spreadsheet.

[quote]willburks wrote:
hi guys great spreadsheet! i’m slightly struggling however because i’m using Wendler’s two day a week program, with only 2 main lifts per week (1 each session) but when i ype in my days worked out and i put monday, thursday, monday, thursday it doesn’t register and seems to think that i am squatting and doing my deeds on the same day which i am certainly not.

Can anyone help???

much appreciated[/quote]

Hey Will,

Unfortunately the spreadsheet was designed for the 4 day template. Modifying it to fit a two or three day template would make it more complicated than it already is.

As an alternative, I suggest simply ignoring the dates.

Cheers

[quote]poteto wrote:

[quote]OsakaNate wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

Hey Nate,

Just uploaded a fixed version. You can now specify your own increments per lift even if they are re-arranged and renamed - see my first post for the DL link. Cheers! Also, what iLikePi said about the rounding is correct.

Glad you like the spreadsheet.[/quote]

Dude, you rock.

Thanks for that, and thanks to iLikePi for the rounding tips as well.

Hi Poteto,
Just tried to download both types of spreadsheet but I cannot open them. I get a message that it is password protected or encrypted. Any help with this?
Thanks
Nobby

[quote]Nobby wrote:
Hi Poteto,
Just tried to download both types of spreadsheet but I cannot open them. I get a message that it is password protected or encrypted. Any help with this?
Thanks
Nobby[/quote]

Hey Nobby, it works fine for me. Are you using Excel or OpenOffice?

ha! i downloaded it and tried to use microsoft works. Thanks for that