Wendler's 5/3/1 Program - Part 5

Thanks. Its not huge that he says it, but for the most 5/3/1 % have been dead on while clean, i dont want to do something dumb now.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I’m just wondering why not use BBB for the bb rows on one or both of the pressing days. Not saying what you’re planning is wrong, I’m just curious.[/quote]

I’m actually doing a 6 day split push/legs/pull, so BB rows are like a main lift for the day. Most of what I’ve done has been higher volume like BBB, but the weights just aren’t climbing as I’d hope. I always felt like back work was taking a back seat on my pressing days, so I’ve decided just to shift all back work to their own days. I think it’d be good for me to introduce a percentage based progression. [/quote]

I really know sweet fuck all about programming but it just seems to me that 6 days a week is overkill. I know everybody is different but I’ve noticed I make much faster and more consistent progress when I train 3 days a week. Obviously it’s not set in stone if I feel able and bored I’ll got maybe four or 5 times a week but mostly I just train on three days and I noticed pretty much immediately how much faster I progressed.

Anyways, just a suggestion

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I’m just wondering why not use BBB for the bb rows on one or both of the pressing days. Not saying what you’re planning is wrong, I’m just curious.[/quote]

I’m actually doing a 6 day split push/legs/pull, so BB rows are like a main lift for the day. Most of what I’ve done has been higher volume like BBB, but the weights just aren’t climbing as I’d hope. I always felt like back work was taking a back seat on my pressing days, so I’ve decided just to shift all back work to their own days. I think it’d be good for me to introduce a percentage based progression. [/quote]

I really know sweet fuck all about programming but it just seems to me that 6 days a week is overkill. I know everybody is different but I’ve noticed I make much faster and more consistent progress when I train 3 days a week. Obviously it’s not set in stone if I feel able and bored I’ll got maybe four or 5 times a week but mostly I just train on three days and I noticed pretty much immediately how much faster I progressed.

Anyways, just a suggestion[/quote]

My whole first year of training was 3x/week, and the next year after that was 4x. I was never happy with the rate at which I put on size, so I divided things up. I have actually made jumps in all my lifts now that I’m going 6 days and can dedicate a whole session to one particular movement pattern. There’s greater focus to my training now. The total volume in one week is only slightly more than it ever was at training 4x/week.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Anyways, just a suggestion[/quote]

My whole first year of training was 3x/week, and the next year after that was 4x. I was never happy with the rate at which I put on size, so I divided things up. I have actually made jumps in all my lifts now that I’m going 6 days and can dedicate a whole session to one particular movement pattern. There’s greater focus to my training now. The total volume in one week is only slightly more than it ever was at training 4x/week. [/quote]

Ah cool, just though I’d throw it out there. Best thing I’ve learned from 5/3/1 is ‘whatever works’ so as long as progress is being made it’s all gravy. Like I said everybody’s different and it took me a while but I find that lower frequency with higher volume works pretty well for me

if your really concerned with your bench, i would recommend the boring but big route, ive gotten bigger and stronger using it. I was very reluctant to start it but it has been great for my bench. you do more benching, common sense says it will get better

[quote]xfactor3236 wrote:
if your really concerned with your bench, i would recommend the boring but big route, ive gotten bigger and stronger using it. I was very reluctant to start it but it has been great for my bench. you do more benching, common sense says it will get better[/quote]

I agree with adding more volume. It doesn’t necessarily have to be BBB though.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:

[quote]xfactor3236 wrote:
if your really concerned with your bench, i would recommend the boring but big route, ive gotten bigger and stronger using it. I was very reluctant to start it but it has been great for my bench. you do more benching, common sense says it will get better[/quote]

I agree with adding more volume. It doesn’t necessarily have to be BBB though.[/quote]

thats is true, i just really like BBB

Anyone try using plate elevated halting deadlifts for BBB? Tried them yesterday and really dug it for hitting the hamstrings after squatting

[quote]TRTblastcruise wrote:

[quote]krazylarry wrote:
I have the regular 5/3/1 book, but there is no mention of AAS use in it. I also googled 5/3/1 and AAS and I could not find and answer. Could someone link me to what Jim has posted before about running 5/3/1 on cycle. [/quote]

Its going to be released in the hard copy version of 5/3/1 for powerlifting.

I thought it would be in any 5/3/1 for powerlifting so my ebook does not contain the information. [/quote]

Any idea when the hard copy is coming out buddy? I havent heard anything bout that

I thought he mentioned in one of his articles/QA when the book is coming out in hard copy. I’ll have to dig on EliteFTS.

[quote]revchad wrote:
Are you restricted in the days you lift the rest of the week? You could consider Monday Squat, Tuesday Bench, Friday Deadlift and Press. That should allow you sufficient rest before an intense Friday, while also having two days of pressing each week. If that will not work for you, I might still add a bit of assistance pressing work on Friday anyways, even if just some rep work like pushups thrown in between sets or with your warmup, or just do it as you have laid out and you should be fine.[/quote]
revchad, here is the short answer. I am a student, my schedule is tight, and my time is limited. I prefer not to do a second main lift on SQ or DL day. In my experience it is to draining. I favor lifting on M/W/F, nonconsecutive days, so I am fresh when I do cardio on off days. I had already planned on adding push-ups to my routine.

With that said, I decided to keep my routine simple and focus on the most bang for your buck exercises so I do not suffer from analysis paralysis and ending up not making progress. I will have to focus on the BP sometime in the future.

I did the following routine this week.

Mon
SQ
5/3/1
SQ assistive

Wed
PJ
5/3/1
PC
5/3/1

Fri
DL
5/3/1
DL assistive

I was doing 5/3/1 for the MP which increased my PJ 1RM.

looks really good man. just a thought, if you want to add in BP before really focusing on it, switch it up with the PJ every now and then, just so your body is still in tune with the mechanics.

In the ebook he states that when doing shrugs you should do 1 or 2 warm up sets then an all out set of 20-40 reps similiar to kroc rows. I was just wondering has anyone done this? if so how did your deadlift and overhead press increase? Also did your traps grow?

[quote]Vladamir wrote:
In the ebook he states that when doing shrugs you should do 1 or 2 warm up sets then an all out set of 20-40 reps similiar to kroc rows. I was just wondering has anyone done this? if so how did your deadlift and overhead press increase? Also did your traps grow? [/quote]
I can somewhat answer the third question. I have done BBB shrugs, 5x10 (50 reps), 1 minute rest b/t sets, now and again when I have time to fit them into my routine. I started to look like a no neck bastard.

I can use heavier weight limiting my sets to 10 reps. I tried doing a 20-40 rep set, however I am not ready for that.

Personally I feel that doing BBB DL without a belt is enough to make my traps grow and it has helped increase my DL. BBB DL has been one of the best DL assistive exercises for me.

what do you guys think about 5/3/1 full body training by JW ???

looks like this

Monday

• Squat - 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Deadlift - 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Bench - 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Wednesday

• Bench Press - 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Row - 3 sets or do Kroc Rows

Friday

• Squat - 5/3/1 sets and reps

• Press - 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)

• Chins or T-Bar Rows - 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.

[quote]SWAD1987 wrote:

looks like this

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

• Press - 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)

• Chins or T-Bar Rows - 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.[/quote]

I like it, but I probably wouldnt personally use it, just bc I like to take a more balanced aproach with my assistance exercises; arm, ab, hamstring, shoulder work, etc.

[quote]SWAD1987 wrote:

looks like this

Monday

Wednesday

Friday

• Chins or T-Bar Rows - 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.[/quote]

This is great if you want to get strong - and awesome. If not, that’s cool.

I just finished my third week on my first cycle of 531 for bench. I’ve heard that during this cycle you should get quite a few more reps on your final set than the prescribed (5 on week 1, 3 on week 2, and 1 on week 3). My reps were 9, 5, and 3. My actual max before starting was 300 so all my percentages were based off 270(90% of 300). From what I understand the goal of 531 is to start out on the lighter side and make small but steady gains over many cycles. After my deload week should I increase the weights or would I be better off repeating the cycle? I don’t want to rush things and get smashed in a few cycles.

[quote]EthanCSW wrote:
I just finished my third week on my first cycle of 531 for bench. I’ve heard that during this cycle you should get quite a few more reps on your final set than the prescribed (5 on week 1, 3 on week 2, and 1 on week 3). My reps were 9, 5, and 3. My actual max before starting was 300 so all my percentages were based off 270(90% of 300). From what I understand the goal of 531 is to start out on the lighter side and make small but steady gains over many cycles. After my deload week should I increase the weights or would I be better off repeating the cycle? I don’t want to rush things and get smashed in a few cycles. [/quote]
Stick to the program, don’t think if you add more weight than you should you’ll get stronger, you’ll just burn out.

hey WENDLER, if you are trolling…I was wondering since I will be in the “game” for a long time I was wondering if I had a figure in mind (S-405,B-275 and D-515) and am currently at (S-335,B-205 and D-405)
giving myself THREE years how do I WORK Backwards as you claimed to have done starting rediculously easy ???
or do I just stay the course with commitment, consistency and dedication ?? thanks for helping me get to where I am today…