Wendler's 5/3/1 Program - Part 4

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

[quote]imcleish wrote:
Hey Jim,
What do you do for a meal postworkout wise (whole food, shake, etc) and how long after a workout do you eat or drink it? What did you do when you were dropping weight and what do you do now?

My goal right now is to lean out a bit and then start putting on the muscle…
[/quote]

I just eat normal - I can’t really eat right after a workout because I usually end with Prowler or hill work. I usually have to wait at least 90 minutes, if not more. I’m not sure how people who actually workout can take a post-workout drink.[/quote]

cool, thanks. I usually just have a cup or two of cold chocolate milk right after. can’t stomach much else.

Good call on the hill sprints too. those things are brutal. takes me about 25 min to run 15 of those on my hill. blows my legs up too…

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I see you don’t go for rep maxes, but that’s exactly what big Jim suggested - rep out the top set as normal, then rep out the last/bottom set. So you’re doing the pyramid but just getting the goal reps, yes?[/quote]

Yes exactly. I do this because I’m beat up all the time from rugby and as things are now, getting the reps is enough work.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:
What are your guys opinions about balancing horizontal pushing and pulling and vertical pushing and pulling? Do you think its enough to simply do the same amount of pulling with pushing (despite plane of movement) or do you think that every horizontal press should be equaled out with a horizontal pull. Same goes for the vertical plane.

Did that even make any sense? :P[/quote]

For every push - do 2 reps of pulling. This includes all warm-ups. Do rows and chins.[/quote]

So for example, between every set of bench press, do a set of pullups?
[/quote]

Kind of…for every rep you do of pushing, do two of pulling. 2:1 ratio.[/quote]

ok, so Jim, what youre saying is…just kidding. [/quote]

LMFAO I was waiting for that.

For boring but big, I’ve seen advice to use 55% of your max for the sets. Just curious which max you guys are using to base this on.

You technically have 3 “maxes” on this program. The first would be your true, honest to god real max (which doesn’t factor into the 5-3-1 program at all once you start the first cycle). The second would be your 5-3-1 max, which is the number you are adding 5 or 10 pounds to every cycle. The third is your training max, which is 90% of your 5-3-1 max.

I’ve been using 55% of my 5-3-1 max (which usually corresponds to the same weight as my last warmup set). But I have trouble getting in 5x10 at this weight. Usually can bang out the first 3 sets but struggle to get more than 5-6 reps on sets 4&5. Anyone else have this problem?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
For boring but big, I’ve seen advice to use 55% of your max for the sets. Just curious which max you guys are using to base this on.

You technically have 3 “maxes” on this program. The first would be your true, honest to god real max (which doesn’t factor into the 5-3-1 program at all once you start the first cycle). The second would be your 5-3-1 max, which is the number you are adding 5 or 10 pounds to every cycle. The third is your training max, which is 90% of your 5-3-1 max.

I’ve been using 55% of my 5-3-1 max (which usually corresponds to the same weight as my last warmup set). But I have trouble getting in 5x10 at this weight. Usually can bang out the first 3 sets but struggle to get more than 5-6 reps on sets 4&5. Anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

When I did this on bench, I was using 135 for my BBB. Like you said I’d get the first 3 sets okay but then struggle to finish on the last two sets. I just tried to add a rep every week until I got all the sets. By the time I did this, my training max was saying to use 140 for BBB and I had to start all over again. Felt like a bitch struggling with 135 but then again, repping 225 felt pretty cool.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
The second would be your 5-3-1 max, which is the number you are adding 5 or 10 pounds to every cycle. The third is your training max, which is 90% of your 5-3-1 max.

[/quote]

Aren’t these one in the same? I’m heading into week 4 (deload) and come week 5 was planning on adding 5-10lbs onto the 1RM’s I based the 65-95%'s off of.

By the way, I did use the actual 1RM’s (not 90% of them) as I had gotten them all within the month before I started.

So, the final sets of my 3rd week (scheduled for 1 rep or as many as possible) were as follows…

Bench: 215 x 2
Squat: 245 x 2
Overhead Press: 135 x 2
Deadlift: 395 x 3

I’m 5’9 165. My deadlift is pretty good, bench and overhead suck and squat is pathetic.

Add 5-10 lbs to the training max, which you calculate your other poundages off of

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:
By the way, I did use the actual 1RM’s (not 90% of them) as I had gotten them all within the month before I started.
[/quote]

I don’t know how many times Jim & others have emphasized that you should NOT do this. You should strongly consider resetting this as you’re only setting yourself up for stalled progress.

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
The second would be your 5-3-1 max, which is the number you are adding 5 or 10 pounds to every cycle. The third is your training max, which is 90% of your 5-3-1 max.

[/quote]

Aren’t these one in the same?

[/quote]

No…if you don’t understand, then there’s no way I can possibly explain it to you. Maybe just go back and read it until it makes sense to you.

[quote]frankjl wrote:

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:
[/quote]

I don’t know how many times Jim & others have emphasized that you should NOT do this. You should strongly consider resetting this as you’re only setting yourself up for stalled progress. [/quote]

Oh I didn’t read this point of your post. Since you aren’t bothering to do the program correctly, I’m not surprised that my very simple statement confused you. My advice is now to do the program right.

I used 50% of my training max. So if my training max was 100kg I used 50. Worked pretty well, but on my diet, with all the extra cardio, I wasnt recovering. Just picking some assistance work now and doing that. On the plus side, i’m down 10lbs from my last meet and I have gotten stronger. The joys of pushing yourself as hard as possible and using the correct training max.

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]imcleish wrote:
Hey Jim,
What do you do for a meal postworkout wise (whole food, shake, etc) and how long after a workout do you eat or drink it? What did you do when you were dropping weight and what do you do now?

My goal right now is to lean out a bit and then start putting on the muscle…
[/quote]

I just eat normal - I can’t really eat right after a workout because I usually end with Prowler or hill work. I usually have to wait at least 90 minutes, if not more. I’m not sure how people who actually workout can take a post-workout drink.[/quote]

So you do conditioning work after your weight workout?

How long do your workouts last?[/quote]

Yes. I have no idea how long my workouts last.

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[/quote]

Aren’t these one in the same? I’m heading into week 4 (deload) and come week 5 was planning on adding 5-10lbs onto the 1RM’s I based the 65-95%'s off of.

So, the final sets of my 3rd week (scheduled for 1 rep or as many as possible) were as follows…

Bench: 215 x 2
Squat: 245 x 2
Overhead Press: 135 x 2
Deadlift: 395 x 3

I’m 5’9 165. My deadlift is pretty good, bench and overhead suck and squat is pathetic.

[/quote]

Please…please read the book or the the write up Bryan Krahn had on this very website.

for bbb, my caculated max from reps on bench is 323, but I do the 5x10 at 185 which is about 58%. on deadlift, my calculated max from reps is 456, and the 5x10 is at 235 which is about 52%.

Moral of the story: 50-55% of caculated rep max is a great place to start. I only progress the weight on the 5x10 portion when 5x10 is so easy that I feel guilty.

All you have to do is pick a place to start, and pick the method by which you will progress it, then just do it.

Jim and VTballa34,

Thanks. I’ve read the article many times, the section below is why I was using my actual 1RM.

“I do a seminar basically every week,” Wendler says, his voice rising. "Every time, without fail, when I ask someone what their one-rep max is, I get this: ‘Wellll, about three years ago I hit 365 for a triple, but that was when I was training heavier …’ Most guys just don’t have a fucking clue.

“By using the 90%, I account for this bullshit. By using weights they can actually handle, guys are building muscle, avoiding burnout, and most importantly, making progress every workout.”

I had hit them all recently, there wasn’t any bullshit in the 1RM’s. I was however thinking I might have gone too heavy the first cycle. Most logs I see have guys doing more than 2 or 3 reps on their 1+ sets week 3.

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:
Most logs I see have guys doing more than 2 or 3 reps on their 1+ sets week 3.

[/quote]
I can squeeze out 3-5 that set sometimes, depending on which exercise. I’d rather keep doing that, adding 5-10 each cycle and avoid hitting a wall, then barely getting 1-2, every time. It’s an awesome feeling to know you’re needing 1 (or 3 or 5) and getting 3,4,5…

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:
Most logs I see have guys doing more than 2 or 3 reps on their 1+ sets week 3.

[/quote]
I can squeeze out 3-5 that set sometimes, depending on which exercise. I’d rather keep doing that, adding 5-10 each cycle and avoid hitting a wall, then barely getting 1-2, every time. It’s an awesome feeling to know you’re needing 1 (or 3 or 5) and getting 3,4,5…[/quote]

This.

You really need to spend the $20 to buy the book. The 90% rule is applicable for everyone, regardless of when you hit the maxes. I can see why you got confused since that statement is a little out of context, but the book makes it very clear: If you want to keep getting stronger for a long time, use 90%.

And yes, this is the reason why you’re 1+ week numbers suck. You should be getting 5-10 reps in that week for the first few cycles.

[quote]jkgoblue wrote:
Jim and VTballa34,

Thanks. I’ve read the article many times, the section below is why I was using my actual 1RM.

“I do a seminar basically every week,” Wendler says, his voice rising. "Every time, without fail, when I ask someone what their one-rep max is, I get this: ‘Wellll, about three years ago I hit 365 for a triple, but that was when I was training heavier …’ Most guys just don’t have a fucking clue.

“By using the 90%, I account for this bullshit. By using weights they can actually handle, guys are building muscle, avoiding burnout, and most importantly, making progress every workout.”

I had hit them all recently, there wasn’t any bullshit in the 1RM’s. I was however thinking I might have gone too heavy the first cycle. Most logs I see have guys doing more than 2 or 3 reps on their 1+ sets week 3.

[/quote]

90%

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
for bbb, my caculated max from reps on bench is 323, but I do the 5x10 at 185 which is about 58%. on deadlift, my calculated max from reps is 456, and the 5x10 is at 235 which is about 52%.

Moral of the story: 50-55% of caculated rep max is a great place to start. I only progress the weight on the 5x10 portion when 5x10 is so easy that I feel guilty.

All you have to do is pick a place to start, and pick the method by which you will progress it, then just do it.[/quote]

This is logical and well thought out. EVERYONE follow his advice.

[quote]mjnewland wrote:

All you have to do is pick a place to start, and pick the method by which you will progress it, then just do it.[/quote]

Except Deathtongue is a much better animated band than Dethklok.