Wendler Wisdom

[quote]AlwayzLearning wrote:
Well that’s a fairly arrogant subjective opinion but thanks for sharing.[/quote]

A subjective opinion. You don’t say?

Look, if you think Five Finger Death Punch is the heaviest thing in history, carry on. We all get our opinions. If you want to check out some real-deal stuff that hasn’t been watered down in the interest of broadening appeal, more radio play and higher merch sales, you let me know.

There’s nothing arrogant about thinking Slipknot is shit.

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:
We might need to start a music thread in here for the 5 of us that like the real heavy.[/quote]

Let me know if you do. I am searching for new bands currently, and would love to expand my selection.

I started with classic rock, and moved to a few of the newer bands like A7X, BFMV, Slipknot, 5FDP, etc.

That got old, and they are all selling out/putting out shit albums now. I moved on to more of the bands I previously listed, but I need more. I can’t get into a lot of hardcore, or speed metal bands. I am trying to get an appreciation for it, but I just cant for some reason.

I love talking to A7X fans though. They always go “Dear God is such an awesome song.” I like it too, I will admit, but I think their old stuff was more of my cup of tea.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has listened to the band Cassius.

I want to find more info on them, because I do like this song.[/quote]

I started off on those exact same bands pretty much except also with papa roach and rise against as well haha.

Sadly that video link isnt working for me.

Depends on heavy youre looking for, but some bands im currently in to: Cancer Bats, Caliban, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Beyond All Recognition, Crossfaith, Color Morale, Stick To Your Guns, The Unguided, Soilwork, Demon Hunter, Hopes Die Last, Heart In Hand, Mammal, Unearth and Scar Symmetry.

Maybe some of those will tickle your fancy :slight_smile:

Tom

This exists. It’s a perfect example of why I hold the opinion I do.

[quote]AlwayzLearning wrote:
Well that’s a fairly arrogant subjective opinion but thanks for sharing.[/quote]

A subjective opinion. You don’t say?

Look, if you think Five Finger Death Punch is the heaviest thing in history, carry on. We all get our opinions. If you want to check out some real-deal stuff that hasn’t been watered down in the interest of broadening appeal, more radio play and higher merch sales, you let me know.

There’s nothing arrogant about thinking Slipknot is shit.
[/quote]

A lot of their catalogue is pretty bad. I won’t fight that point haha.

Again, my tastes have evolved, but there is no way you are saying Trivium, In Flames, and As I Lay Dying aren’t heavy.

I have to do a lot of listening before I can say whether or not I like a band, but High on Fire has made my playlist of bands I am exploring.

What else you got?

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

Depends on heavy youre looking for, but some bands im currently in to: Cancer Bats, Caliban, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, Beyond All Recognition, Crossfaith, Color Morale, Stick To Your Guns, The Unguided, Soilwork, Demon Hunter, Hopes Die Last, Heart In Hand, Mammal, Unearth and Scar Symmetry.

Maybe some of those will tickle your fancy :slight_smile:

Tom
[/quote]

I love AILD, Soilwork, and Unearth. I will have to check out a few of those other ones though.

I cant seem to get into August Burns Red for some reason. I have to listen to more I guess.

[quote]trivium wrote:
there is no way you are saying Trivium, In Flames, and As I Lay Dying aren’t heavy.
[/quote]

There is a way. In Flames is sort of classic for bringing up the Gothenburg sound to the forefront along with a handful of other similar bands, but they’re just okay at best. The other two mentioned are just no.

Three different flavors of heavy including one Wendler mentioned:

Disfear:

Yob:

Indian:

I had a radio show for three years playing mostly this stuff with psych, prog and 70s jazz fusion thrown in. I can go on for days and days.

Eagle Twin. This is two guys. TWO.

Black Cobra. This is also two guys. TWO.

Horn of the Rhino.

“Bleed” - Good taste. I like the music vid too.

But you guys are listing tons of melodeath and missing out so many great Finnish bands! Mors Principium Est, Kalmah, Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium, Be’lakor (yeah I know they’re not Finnish, but they’re good), an the list goes on.

When I’m training I really like stuff like Kataklysm, Ex Deo, Amon Amarth.

Dream Theater and Angel Vivaldi are amazing bands too.

I pretty much avoid anything crossover including melodic death. Hybrids are always okay at two things, not great at either one.

A personal favorite. Runemagick is probably the most completely evil band I’ve ever listened to, I have more than 10 of their albums. Their music is like the soundtrack to walking in on a human sacrifice in the middle of the forest.

I’m getting tired, so instead of posting a huge rant, I am going to just do the TL:DR of my thoughts.

Keep em comin. I like some of what I am hearing.

What is melodeath?

Amon Amarth is awesome!

Also, Angel Vivaldi is pretty sick. I like how he does videos of him covering his own music haha.

Safe to say we aren’t going to see eye to eye much on this heavy music thing.

Big fan of Ensiferum and Korkipklaani. Love the folk metal.

I pretty much avoid anything crossover including melodic death. Hybrids are always okay at two things, not great at either one.
[/quote]

Oh you purists :stuck_out_tongue:

What is a subgenre if not the progeny of several other subgenres?

@Trivium:

Melodeath = melodic death metal.

Here’s a few songs/bands I think you might find worth checking out:

[quote]trivium wrote:
there is no way you are saying Trivium, In Flames, and As I Lay Dying aren’t heavy.
[/quote]

There is a way. In Flames is sort of classic for bringing up the Gothenburg sound to the forefront along with a handful of other similar bands, but they’re just okay at best. The other two mentioned are just no.

Three different flavors of heavy including one Wendler mentioned:

Disfear:

Yob:

Indian:

[/quote]

There are 8 bands that are litmus tests for me - Indian is one of them. The second best band to come out of Chicago and all true believers know the first (all you have to do is look at the credits of any Indian LP.)

That there Yob song I posted was Sanford produced. Word is new album from them next year.

Surely you know about Middian.

I dig this quite a fucking bit.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
Oh you purists :stuck_out_tongue:

What is a subgenre if not the progeny of several other subgenres?
[/quote]

There is a major difference between sticking two things together (folk metal = metal + a couple of lutes and Celtic melodies) and getting some new mileage out of a variety of influences.

That there Yob song I posted was Sanford produced. Word is new album from them next year.

Surely you know about Middian.

I dig this quite a fucking bit.

[/quote]

They are both OK but they aren’t even in the same league as Buried at Sea. I’ve seen Yob and BAS live and it’s not even close.

Seen Yob 3 times now. BAS never made it out my way (Boise) to my knowledge, though I did open for Minsk there once so they can at least find it on a map haha. Hell, High on Fire only played the first time there in December.

Indian did once play a dive bar down from my house and no one bothered telling me til I was at work. Cool story.

Alright, well is anyone else into instrumental prog metal then?

Gordian Knot, Liquid Tension Experiment, Scale the Summit, Koyaanisqatsy, AAL, etc.