Wellbutrin to Raise My Libido

Ksman,

What is your opinion of using other stim based medications, such adderall. Seems to work in similar mechanisms as does wellbutrin.

Thanks,

WG

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]jrvswim wrote:
Where are Dr. O and Han located?

I will probably just go to lapcorp and get my cortisol tested on my own.
Any adrenal tests I should run?

For cortisol and other tests suggested please suggest what time i should get blood drawn.

[/quote]

The a.m. cortisol blood test for me came back relatively normal, and didnā€™t tell the whole story. In addition to the blood test though, I took the saliva test from Genova Diagnostics which takes 4 samples throughout the day and maps how your cortisol changes from morning to bedtime. Mine was pretty much flatlined the entire day (doh!) whereas it should have high cortisol in the morning and taper off gradually towards the end of the day.

Dr. O and HAN are located outside of Philly. I have been very happy with my experiences with them thus far.

From what I understand, all blood draws for hormonal issues should be no later than a couple hours after waking for the day at your usual waking time.
[/quote]

Just to ā€œwordā€ this post.
Make SURE you get the 4x in one day test. a.m. pretty useless.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]jrvswim wrote:
Where are Dr. O and Han located?

I will probably just go to lapcorp and get my cortisol tested on my own.
Any adrenal tests I should run?

For cortisol and other tests suggested please suggest what time i should get blood drawn.

[/quote]

The a.m. cortisol blood test for me came back relatively normal, and didnā€™t tell the whole story. In addition to the blood test though, I took the saliva test from Genova Diagnostics which takes 4 samples throughout the day and maps how your cortisol changes from morning to bedtime. Mine was pretty much flatlined the entire day (doh!) whereas it should have high cortisol in the morning and taper off gradually towards the end of the day.

Dr. O and HAN are located outside of Philly. I have been very happy with my experiences with them thus far.

From what I understand, all blood draws for hormonal issues should be no later than a couple hours after waking for the day at your usual waking time.
[/quote]

So what is the specific treatment protocol for low cortisol that they have suggested/prescribed?

[quote]chemman wrote:

So what is the specific treatment protocol for low cortisol that they have suggested/prescribed? [/quote]

I am not a doctor and really donā€™t feel comfortable divulging that info. If you are truly concerned about your adrenals, I suggest you pick up Dr. Wilsonā€™s book entitled ā€œAdrenal Fatigueā€ and give that a good reading. It will answer most of your questions.

You could also seek out a qualified medical practitioner knowledgeable on the subject (may be a hard search).

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]chemman wrote:

So what is the specific treatment protocol for low cortisol that they have suggested/prescribed? [/quote]

I am not a doctor and really donā€™t feel comfortable divulging that info. If you are truly concerned about your adrenals, I suggest you pick up Dr. Wilsonā€™s book entitled ā€œAdrenal Fatigueā€ and give that a good reading. It will answer most of your questions.

You could also seek out a qualified medical practitioner knowledgeable on the subject (may be a hard search).[/quote]

Or I guess you could also check out my log ā€œBloodwork and TRT Cheatsheetā€ since I forgot I talked about it in there.

BTW, did you start taking the wellbutrin? How is that working out for you? I recently started it myself and have noticed a profound difference (good).

stopthethyroidmadness has a good section on adrenal fatigue and cortisol treatment options (with prescriptions from doctors).

Someone mentioned varicocele. As a treatment for infertility and BPH, a doctor in Israel has published studies showing both conditions can be FIXED by a rather simple outpatient procedure to replace damaged testicular veins with a stent. The studies, if true, I believe will revolutionize how BPH is treated. Anyone interested can google Yigal Gat and Micheal Gornish, the lead authors in these studies.

BTW, I was prescribed Trazadone 15 years ago. It kept me groggy all day, as if Iā€™d taken a handful of antihistamines. I switched to Prozac and did better. Ultimately I quit using it because of side effects related to exercise. Iā€™ve been a distance runner for twenty years. I found myself not much interested in running during the worst of winter whereas in years past cold weather could never keep me for doing twenty mile runs.

koneall

What dose of traz? Taken at night only? Did it promote sleep?

I have been 150mg of wellbutrin once every morning for 5 days now. And frankly I donā€™t feel any improvement in libido. Is it too early to tell? I am not taking enough? Or am I just one of the unlucky few who donā€™t experience much of a boost? I read that wellbutrin can take up to 6 weeks to treat depression, I wonder if it takes just as long to effect libido.

If it increases dopamine, libido can respond well if that was all that was holding it down. When dopamine levels are improved, sex can be way better, again compared to when dopamine levels were low.

The only rule is that everyone is different.

thanks okay, iā€™ll keep waiting hoping the rise in dopamine could lower my prolactin. KSman you stated a little while ago that with my t level and my low estrogen, test is not the problem. I am hoping you are right and this will do the trick.

Libido seems to follow a state of well-being. Conversely, libido is a good measure of well-being in a male. There are many things that influence oneā€™s state of well-being.

A friend of mine is a well known fertility doctor. I donā€™t see him for appointments, but he suggested the other day that I might want to look into dhea. My libido is still really low and I feel like I have been stressed for a while (adrenal fatigue). Is dhea worth a try? Would it help with my test. or would it just bump up my estrogen. My estrogen is on the very low end of the range though (should be in my labs). It was a 13 in a range of 3 to 70.

Thanks

Wellbutrin is a joke. It has no effect on dopamine. Itā€™s an NRI. If you want something to stimulate dopamine D2 receptors Dostinex is the way to go. If you want even more punch add in Stablon which increases dopamine receptor sensitivity. Wellbutrin is a crap drug.

DHEA will more then likely increase E2 as it does in most guys, instead try using pregnenolone cream to increase dhea levels and help with adrenal fatigue and supposedly no E2 issues like when using dhea, but i will know this in a few weeks myself when i get labs done after being on preg, but in myself i feel alot better, dhea i felt some mild antidepressant type effects but didnt last long.

[quote]brentf13 wrote:
Wellbutrin is a joke. It has no effect on dopamine. Itā€™s an NRI. If you want something to stimulate dopamine D2 receptors Dostinex is the way to go. If you want even more punch add in Stablon which increases dopamine receptor sensitivity. Wellbutrin is a crap drug. [/quote]

Weird that so many people have reported feeling better while taking itā€¦

If it was so great and hit dopamine everyone would be on it. Iā€™ve been on every brain drug known to man and Wellbutrin is weak and crap. The FDA would never let a pure dopamine drug on the market because it would be considered a potential drug of abuse. Heck Vitex is more powerful than Wellbutrin. Zoloft hits dopamine 7 times harder than Wellbutrin. Bottom line, per the research literature and personal experience, Wellbutrin is a pure NRI.

Perhaps you just require stronger meds than most people there mateyā€¦

Itā€™s very easy to tell if you have something that hits dopamine hard. The easiest way to tell is drink a coffee or eat fast food and see if you get a really good feeling from it. If you do youā€™re getting a dopamine boost. Have you tried Wellbutrin?

[quote]brentf13 wrote:
Itā€™s very easy to tell if you have something that hits dopamine hard. The easiest way to tell is drink a coffee or eat fast food and see if you get a really good feeling from it. If you do youā€™re getting a dopamine boost. Have you tried Wellbutrin? [/quote]

Yes I have and I noticed a profound positive effect on my mood and general outlook in lifeā€¦before taking it, I didnā€™t even realize how negative my entire outlook had becomeā€¦

300 mg/day, which I understand is a very low dosageā€¦

Granted I started taking it around the time that a lot of my other hormone issues were being straightened out, but due to how quickly I noticed positive changes (within days), I think it reasonable to attribute those to the wellbutrinā€“especially considering my other labs didnā€™t change that much.