T Nation

Wellbutrin for Weight Loss?

My wife saw the doctor for weight loss problem from her pregnancy 1 year ago. We had the usual test run and if it is not a thyroid problem, he will perscribe Wellbutrin to aid in weight loss. (F.Y.I., we are both avid weight lifters and readers of T-Nation,so her diet and exercise are sound). Does anyone know of this drug and is this a good idea?

I don’t have alot of information about Wellbutrin other than my own experence. I do know that it is used for depression and to assit with the cravings from tobacco.

I would advise against this, as anti-depressants can be very addictive. I believe the risk to benefit ratio is unacceptable and have absolutely no idea how Wellbutrin would work for weight loss.

Here is a thread in which the benefits/risks ratio was discussed:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=598307

I made arguments against anti-depressants while Randman countered by providing incomprehensible studies along with calling me a conspiracy theorist. (joke)

Just read the thread for yourself - and perhaps one of the books I recommended - and then decide whether to go ahead with the treatment or not. Feel free to PM me too.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
I would advise against this, as anti-depressants can be very addictive. I believe the risk to benefit ratio is unacceptable and have absolutely no idea how Wellbutrin would work for weight loss.
[/quote]

Here we go again. Dr. Boner is in the house. Yes, as you may have noticed, the anti-depressant junkies are everywhere selling their worldly possessions to get a fix.

But seriously, Wellbutrin for weight loss? If you have some sort of deep depression that counseling alone has not helped then sure, Wellbutrin could be a solution after you’ve consulted a Dr. (not Boner). But I wouldn’t recommend any SSRI for weight loss as the main goal. Where did you hear this? Did someone tell you to do this.

I wouldn’t recommend reading this pissing match because it’s not really going to answer your question.

As you can see, OB still is licking his wounds from this thread and can’t get it out of his head. He also has a hard time reading studies, thus characterizing them as incomprehensible.

If you want a one-sided crusade against all SSRIs under all circumstances, then yes, please read all of his recommended books and PM him to your heart’s content :wink:

What blood tests did they run?

They need to do a female hormone profile and it wouldn’t hurt to check adrenal hormones like cortisol and DHEA while their at it. Also, the thyroid panel needs to check free T3 as well as free T4 and TSH. Many only check T4 and TSH. Some people think that the T3 uptake test actually tests T3 but in actuality it tests T4.

A general CBC and Comp metabolic panel would be a good idea. This will also check fasting blood glucose.

Personally I wouldn’t suggest the Wellbutrin, it is an SSRI antidepressant that has been shown to help with weight loss in some people although I have heard many people complain of weight gain with antidepressants. It also blocks norepinephrine uptake to some degree as well. Why not get her on Biotest’s Fahrenheit or HOT-ROX?

Take care

Ryan

Sweet, Randman somewhat agreed with me, then insulted me again.

Seriously, I wouldn’t take advice from any anonymous dudes on T-Nation named Orbitalboner and Randman. There’s tons of books out there on the subject, positive and negative, and possibly even a few neutral ones. If you’re planning on taking the drug, do research. There’s way more information out there than your doctor can cover in a few short appointments.

There is some decent information in that thread btw, you just have to sift through all the shit first.

You can use wellbutrin for weight loss. It is chemically related to diethylpropion (tenuate) which is a medically prescribed anorectic.

Wellbutrin is not an SSRI but rather a noradrenergic/dopaminergic antidepressant. It has appetite suppressing qualities and probably enhances energy expenditure as well.

It has been used successfully for weight loss in clinical trials.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:

He[/quote]

Im not advising that the wellabutrin route is a good one, but I do know that of all the anti depressants, its the LEAST addictive and has the least side effects. Its the most “advanced” anti depressant, in laymans terms.

Thanks for the info bdog. Interesting.

Wellbutrin is a very mild, well-tolerated medication. It is also used for ADD.

I wouldn’t recommend just going out and getting some for the helluvit. But if it seems like a viable medication for you, then I certainly wouldn’t steer you away from it.

Ignore boner. As far as medicines go, with all the potential side-effects, it’s a good medicine. Certainly a lot easier on the bod than many of the alternatives. Just keep the caveats in mind.