Well, What Next for Losing Weight?

Hello again T-Nation. Seeing as I’ve only been keeping contact with Squiggles over Private Messaging for low-carb information, I’ve decided to crawl out from under my rock and post something.

Well in the shortest way possible, I have gone for being sixteen years old, 255 pounds at 5’9.5 to being 205 pounds at 5’10 , I have lost alot of weight. I wish to lose a little more, my doctor states that I can get down to 175 (the skinniest possible body I can have) and I wouldn’t really have to lose weight anymore.

To lose weight, I have been low-carbing and not until recent have started to excersize. I eat pretty well, and my calorie intake is not very high. For example, at any given day I’ll have some scrambled eggs for breakfast, a chicken salad for lunch and meat and vegetables for dinner. Other then that I’ll snack on some meat, cheese or peanut butter (not natural, Skippy, I know, bad). That is in essence what I only eat. I drink lots of diet soda and water when I’m thirsty.

To excersize (pretty recently) I’ve taken to three-six miles in a half-full hour, 100 crunches and 50 pushups. Afterwards, if I can move, I jump rope.

Which comes to my point - I have decided to devote the next 15-45 days of my life (by June 26th) to be either at 175-185, or be really fit 195-200.

I’m not really sure on how to do this. I’ve been recording my weight on my calender, and can see a steady decrease (until the days I over-ate carb wise), but I just don’t know what to do really.

Any suggestions here would be really vital in getting me going on a my last “battle for my body”. I need to do this for myself. I need to. End of story. I will not stop. I must get lean. I must get fit. No if, ands or buts.

I’m at the full mercy of you T-Nation, make me proud!

Peter
aka Kickoutthejams

Keep it simple, youve lost 50lb you know what works keep doing that, adjust the diet and activity as needed to keep shedding fat

Phill

It’s great you’re losing weight but what jumped out at me a bit was when you said 175 is the skinniest possible body you can have. Now i’m guessing that’s by your standards because 175 at 5’10 isn’t all that skinny, but you may want to consider a fit 185-190 like you said.

As long as that extra 10-15 lbs is healthy weight then there’s no reason you shouldn’t try to aim for that. You sound like you’re making good progress and know what to do though so I’ll leave it up to you. Just food for thought.

Sounds like your doing fine, you probably do more cardio then half the people on these forums including me!

well why not include some real resistance training. im sure you have heard of the advantages of resistance training over regular cardio have you not?

Thanks for the replies!

I’ll address these in order -

Thanks! I really tried hard to lose the weight. I was in a really down time in my life and decided that was what I needed to do.

I’m not sure what I need to do next because weight loss is starting to surely slow down, probably due to the fact that there isn’t much weight to lose anymore.

I didn’t mean literally skinniest possible body ever, I mean I don’t want to be THAT skinny…I have a large bone structure, and my doctor said I’d be pretty skinny looking if I got down to 175. Now I look at this from two angles - I take on the skinny emo kid persona of being skinny, or I do the T-Nation way of doing things, which seems MUCH more fun.

My weight means alot to me, especially after coming from a fat kid all of his life that has turned over a new leaf. I play football for my high school, and I do not think that I would perform well as an emo kid, but I don’t really care, because I would be skinny, but most likely scrawny. On the other half of it, being a lean 185-190 would be very nice, and much more beneficial personally.

I do not really know what resistance training is, I’ll be honest. I’ve been doing a hell of alot of running. Lots and lots of it. I enjoy it. It’s helped me shed weight. I need something else to boost me up there to get the last bit down, but I’m not sure what to do. Maybe it is this resistance training you speak of. What might this entail?

Thanks all for the responses!
Pete

Pete,

Another fat kid turned fat adult here…

It feels good to try something and I’ll be honest, this site has helped me no end so far. I still have a long long way to go yet but the support here is fantastic.

Resistance training… weight lifting… call it what you like… I am addicted to the gym these days… If I wasn’t married with kids I would live in the place! I have met some really great people at my local gym, none of whom have judged me because I’m a fat man. The opposite is true. They are interested in me getting into shape, they offer advice and I’m never short a spotter on bench work.

Maybe I’m lucky with my gym but from what I have seen here and in the real world serious gym users seem to stick together because the ‘normal’ people don’t understand why anyone would want big muscles, look so shredded as to be transparent without fake tan etc…

I was reading ‘muscle and fitness’ at work the other day and the first reaction from one guy was ‘are you on steroids now then?’ closely followed by ‘why would you want to be a freak?’

If wanting to look better makes me a freak then great… I want to be a freak and I’m proud of it.

Keep us updated in the thread with your progress… I’m happy to be a virtual training partner…

[quote]kickoutthejams wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

I’ll address these in order -

Thanks! I really tried hard to lose the weight. I was in a really down time in my life and decided that was what I needed to do.

I’m not sure what I need to do next because weight loss is starting to surely slow down, probably due to the fact that there isn’t much weight to lose anymore.

I didn’t mean literally skinniest possible body ever, I mean I don’t want to be THAT skinny…I have a large bone structure, and my doctor said I’d be pretty skinny looking if I got down to 175. Now I look at this from two angles - I take on the skinny emo kid persona of being skinny, or I do the T-Nation way of doing things, which seems MUCH more fun.

My weight means alot to me, especially after coming from a fat kid all of his life that has turned over a new leaf. I play football for my high school, and I do not think that I would perform well as an emo kid, but I don’t really care, because I would be skinny, but most likely scrawny. On the other half of it, being a lean 185-190 would be very nice, and much more beneficial personally.

I do not really know what resistance training is, I’ll be honest. I’ve been doing a hell of alot of running. Lots and lots of it. I enjoy it. It’s helped me shed weight. I need something else to boost me up there to get the last bit down, but I’m not sure what to do. Maybe it is this resistance training you speak of. What might this entail?

Thanks all for the responses!
Pete[/quote]

…resistance training is weight lifting…can’t believe you don’t know that considering…well…your at this site…

Why haven’t you added weights? If it were me… I would start to throw in the basics along with half of your cardio. Build some lean muscle. Start with dead lifts, squats, bench, and military press 3 times a week. You won’t get down to 175, but you’ll look a lot better at 195 with some muscle than you would at 175 with none.

Also, I wouldn’t do long distance running, start running sprints instead. Try running 3 sets of 10 40-yard dashes. Sprint 40 yards, then jog back, sprint, jog back. Do that 10 times, rest for 3 mins and then get back to sprinting. If you really want to lose fat fast and get lean, you gotta lift weights.

First off, congrats! Kicking off that much weight isn’t easy. Not only is your diet obviously working but your resolve is very admirable.

My suggestions are as follows:

1st, roughly an hour three days a week to weight training. I think if you enjoy running you’ll probably like the pump and energy you get from weight training.

2nd, keep on running. You seem to really enjoy it, so make sure you get a few sessions in every week. I like the idea of interval sprinting (HIIT), but if you like distance runs, take 'em.

3rd, play around with the quantity of food you are eating. This probably seems counter-intuitive since you have seen such gains restricting your calories and carbs. If you start lifting gradually increase the amount of chicken or eggs or even Skippy that you are consuming. Your muscles will thank you for it and you should not gain any fat.

[quote]CharlieStrange wrote:
First off, congrats! Kicking off that much weight isn’t easy. Not only is your diet obviously working but your resolve is very admirable.

My suggestions are as follows:

1st, roughly an hour three days a week to weight training. I think if you enjoy running you’ll probably like the pump and energy you get from weight training.

2nd, keep on running. You seem to really enjoy it, so make sure you get a few sessions in every week. I like the idea of interval sprinting (HIIT), but if you like distance runs, take 'em.

3rd, play around with the quantity of food you are eating. This probably seems counter-intuitive since you have seen such gains restricting your calories and carbs. If you start lifting gradually increase the amount of chicken or eggs or even Skippy that you are consuming. Your muscles will thank you for it and you should not gain any fat. [/quote]

Thank you all for the responses again, I’m quite impressed with the responses I have got and I am very excited to finish fighting with the flab.

I’m sorry, I am not the biggest buff on resistance training ( and how it meant weight training ) but besides the point.

I will definitely pick up weight lifting and doing sprints, HIIT, etc. I really do enjoy running and anything else that gives me the rush after I finish and how good I feel.

I will try to keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks Charlie for your kind words and your suggestions, I’ll try them out this week.