Well Rounded Full Body Workout?

Can someone help me out here or point me in the right direction.

i’m looking for a tried and true well rounded full body routine that works both fast and slow twitch muscles, strength and endurance.

i like to do different types of physical activities to stay healthy (sports, run, bike, swim, hike, gym). going to the gym is just another item in the list of activities so i just want a good hassle free full body routine that i can do on gym days.

is that okay to work slow and fast twitch the same day? maybe not ideal but okay? i’m not trying to get jacked, i just want a good healthy well rounded workout to do.

Short answer: Crossfit

Long answer:

Well, you’ve come to a site where people take TRAINING with weights rather seriously. I’m not sure any real TRAINING program is, to use your words, “hassle-free”. You have to do things like be consistent, eat right, push past your limits, put the effort into doing the movements correctly, lots of “hassle” there.

It sounds to me like you want to occasionally get some EXERCISE in with weights. Maybe get a little bit stronger, feel gassed, burn some calories and feel like you got something done.

Would you say that’s true? Nothing wrong with that, your goals are your business, but you need to give some more information about you and your specific goals if you want a good answer to your question.

Hi, I’m a beginner too so I can only draw on my short experience. I agree with everything twojarslave says. Having a clear goal is the key. Mine for example,is strength therefore I’m using well established programs. I started with 5x5 stronglifts which is very basic and easy to follow. I then progressed to 531(use the search bar if you’re not sure about what this is) however if your goal isn’t strength related these may be unsuitable.

As twojarslave stated programs are designed to be used progressively and consistently. They require lots of dedication to create effective form.
I may be wrong, given the limited info you gave but it seems like you merely want to incorporate weights into your general training rather than start a weights program per se. If that’s correct, I would suggest you look at barbell/dumbbell/kettlebell complexes. These are great tools for conditioning and you program them to suit your needs. HIIT or interval training may also be what you’re looking for but if you give more details we can help more

Adam.

Best thing I have found PERSONALLY is Jim Wendler’s full body routines coupled with his basic training philosophies. I’ve run several variations and love them.

Jump Rope warm up
Limber 11
Some box Jumps and/or Medball throws 3-5x3-5
5/3/1 Full Body Workout
Some type of Conditioning ( I like 10-20 sprints or 1-2 mile run)

This all takes about an hour or less if I’m on top of it never more than an hour and a half even if I’m being slow. I’m getting stronger and leaner and feel great.

Again though, what are your goals?

[quote]nyhtal wrote:
is that okay to work slow and fast twitch the same day?[/quote]
Forget about slow twitch and fast twitch fibers. That’s a level of detail that isn’t really worth dealing with right now and isn’t really a factor. Train hard and consistently, include heavier low rep work and moderate weight higher rep work, and you’ll be fine.

I think 2jar hit on some good points. If your only goal in the gym is to “get a good workout”, it almost doesn’t matter what you do. Playing around with any handful of exercises for about an hour will be something to do. There will be no structure to it and no real progress from week to week, but a workout will be a workout.

… Or… you could understand that the right lifting routine can actually improve all those other activities (the riding, swimming, etc.), and then you can come up with some short and long-term goals related to the weight room and your other activities, and choose a well-designed training plan that works towards those goals.

Chad Waterbury has written a ton of solid programs that are either full-body or upper/lower splits. I’d look into his stuff at a starting point.

crossfit is good and I do something similar (bootcamp functional training).

My goal is general fitness. I’m 42 btw. i agree this is probably not the best site for this advice but i figured since most members here are serious you would have some sound advice (which I’m getting).

right now I’m doing stronglifts 5x5 followed by SimpleFit training. some weeks i can go 3/4 times and others i might make it once. routines that work back and chest one day, legs the next don’t work the best. so i want a routine that works everything. I’ve been doing a lot of research and may have gotten caught up on details that don’t come into play with my level of commitment (like fast/slow twitch muscles).

i just don’t want a lopsided workout and want to work all muscles, i also don’t want to work against myself like maybe doing low rep with heavy weights followed by high reps with low weights in the same day is counter productive. i don’t mind changing up my work out by doing heavy low reps one day then the next time do light high reps.

i like to train hard i just have a problem with consistency.

something like this
squats (3set/8rep)
deadlift (3/8)
pull-ups (3/max)
dips (3/max)
pushups (3/max)
plank (3/max)

i was hoping to find a go to workout that’s been proven effective.

Check out 5/3/1 2 days/week. It’s simple, flexible, long-term, and has indeed been proven effective. As a side note I’ve done a Waterbury program as mentioned above and made good progress with it, and because of the variations in movement patterns my joints felt happy.

[quote]nyhtal wrote:
My goal is general fitness.[/quote]
That’s an idea, not a goal. Goals are specific. How do you define fitness? Resting heart rate of 40bpm? Run 3 miles in 18 minutes? Squat 225 for 20 reps? 12-hour triathlon time? Visible abs at 180 pounds? Concrete, measurable goals get reached. Vague ideas stay just sort of floating around off in the distance.

No, it definitely is not counter-productive. It’s actually a popular and effective way to train for size and strength. A heavy lift followed by moderate to higher rep “assistance” work. Very common with lots of guys.

[quote]some weeks i can go 3/4 times and others i might make it once.

i like to train hard i just have a problem with consistency.

i was hoping to find a go to workout that’s been proven effective.[/quote]
No program will be effective if you follow it inconsistently. Stronglifts is a great plan, but it’s meant to be done three days a week. Trying to follow it only 30% of the time is obviously going to screw it all up. There are some great programs designed to be done “only” two days a week, but you’ve still got to show up both of those days, week after week after, for real progress.

Either commit to lifting X number of days a week and choose a plan that fits that or, like I said, lift haphazardly with “any old workout of the day” being acceptable.

Any routine can be proven effective
But as others mentioned, your intention is what is going to narrow it down for you

What you’re asking for is an array of options that can’t be properly explained without writing up an entire article.
But wait, I believe Colucci has already mentioned Chad Waterbury, who is a proven coach to look up regarding tried and true material (TBT). 100’s of his articles can be found through a simple google search.

I understand picking a program for beginners is exciting, but it’s also important for you because you don’t want to be stuck on a program that doesn’t necessarily NOT work, but a program that you don’t BELIEVE in. Such is the case with most if not all beginners.

If that’s the case, pick up some books and/or go through material from various coaches. Then you can probably deduce what YOU think would work for you.

But if you would ask me personally, I’d say push ups, pull ups, and squats. All weighted, or just bodyweight, for a 30 - 45 minute circuit for 3 - 15 reps each.

And don’t forget to perform them correctly. And if you currently think you do know how, than it’s likely that you really don’t.

thank you all for your input. I decided to put a little effort into a consistent training program for a while and see what happens.

i’m doing stronglifts 5x5 routine followed by SimpleFit.org routine.

[quote]nyhtal wrote:
thank you all for your input. I decided to put a little effort into a consistent training program for a while and see what happens.

i’m doing stronglifts 5x5 routine followed by SimpleFit.org routine.
[/quote]

A friend of mine is running Stronglifts and getting good results. If you’re doing compound barbell movements consistently, correctly and progressively heavier, you are already ahead of most beginners.

Remember to eat, sleep and have fun with the process!