T Nation

Well Rounded 2 Day Workout?

Can people help me find articles on training twice a week. A well-rounded program creates balance and motivation. I found a few articles online but want to study as much as I can.

[quote]lionhearted721 wrote:
Can people help me find articles on training twice a week.[/quote]

2 Times a week for twice the gains:

The twice a week training program:

Twice a week lifting for convicts:

Effective training for busy men:

Spoiler Alert: They all basically follow the same principles.

how would you set a split if it were you? And would you use hard conditioning on the off days?

how would you set a split if it were you? And would you use hard conditioning on the off days?[/quote]

Two full body days would be best. Here’s another simple (but not easy) one

day 1 -
dips, weighted - 5x5
chin ups, weighted - 5x5
squats - bodyweight on the bar, 1x AMRAP

day 2 -
squats - 5x5
dips, bodyweight - 3x AMRAP
chin ups, bodyweight - 3x AMRAP
bodyweight on the bar, 1x AMRAP

With two weight sessions a week you COULD get away with hard conditioning three times a week. However, I assume that time is an issue (otherwise you could just lift more often), so 1x2/week also works well. You can also use more traditional cardio which will often be easier to recover from.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

how would you set a split if it were you? And would you use hard conditioning on the off days?[/quote]

Two full body days would be best. Here’s another simple (but not easy) one

day 1 -
dips, weighted - 5x5
chin ups, weighted - 5x5
squats - bodyweight on the bar, 1x AMRAP

day 2 -
squats - 5x5
dips, bodyweight - 3x AMRAP
chin ups, bodyweight - 3x AMRAP
bodyweight on the bar, 1x AMRAP

With two weight sessions a week you COULD get away with hard conditioning three times a week. However, I assume that time is an issue (otherwise you could just lift more often), so 1x2/week also works well. You can also use more traditional cardio which will often be easier to recover from.[/quote]

This is great advice. One suggestion I would add is to rotate the chinups and dips with barbell rows and military press when progression stalls out, maybe after 2-3 months.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
This is great advice. One suggestion I would add is to rotate the chinups and dips with barbell rows and military press when progression stalls out, maybe after 2-3 months.[/quote]

This is a program written by AnytimeJake and he has his hockey players do it in-season. It is what Dan John calls a “park bench” routine - any progress that comes along will be nice but the main idea is to get the work in. So I’m not quite sure about your rotation idea. I mean, in theory it works, sure. Then again, the whole point of this is to have something simple and then not tinker with it.

I wouldn’t worry about that too much and pick either any of the programs Mr Colucci selected, or the one nighthawkz put up because it looks rather good.

IMO if you’re training twice a week only you’re in a cool kind of place in terms of not needing to worry about modulating intensity and load too much: hit the squat hard, hit pressing hard, hit upper body pulls hard and if you like to, pull heavy loads off the ground and maybe walk around carrying stuff for a bit too.

After all, you’re only doing it twice a week so recovery shouldn’t be an issue.

A PL focused program would probably look something like:

Day 1
Squat: work up to heavy triples, probably 3 to 5 sets
Bench: work up to moderately heavy sets for moderate reps, something like 5x5 at 75% or so
Rows/upper body pulls: do a bunch of sets and reps
Lower body assistance: another bunch of sets and reps

Day 2
Bench: work up to some heavy triples
Squat: moderately heavy for moderate reps
Deadlift: just to keep in practice do some fairly light singles and doubles
Upper body assistance: press, rows, etc, at most two exercises

That’s a very raw structure, but if I was going to have to cut down to twice a week that’s pretty much what I’d do. You could mess around with it and every month have a day where you had heavy deads just to remember how they feel and you could rotate assistance exercises every few weeks but that’s all down to how you like to train.

I’m on a 2x per week workout right now and hoping to be able to stick with it for the next 6 months with no stalls. Look up the hepburn program A. Very straightforward. This is how I’m programming it:

A1: Military Press 8 x 2
A2: Weighted chins 8 x 2
B: Snatch Grip Deadlift 8 x 2

That part takes 30 - 40 mins including warm up sets. Reps progress from 8 x 2 to 8 x 3 over 8 sessions.

If you read the article it talks about a 3x6 progression for the same lifts at the end of the workout which I am not doing. I add in dips and band pull aparts at the end, some times curls or light high rep squats.

I enjoyed this set-up while doing the 531, 28 week program:

A)
-Hang Power Clean
-Bench
-Squat

B)
-Deadlift
-Press
-Chin-ups (only thing that didn’t use a 531 set-up, rather just did a bunch between sets of press.

There was plenty of room for conditioning when there was time (and there was always time). Did a bunch of band pull-aparts too.

" One of their crew hated training, but knew that he had to do it to be the best. So while the others were training heavy and hard he just did a simple workout a couple times a week:

Squatâ??10 sets of 10 reps at 315
Super-setted with
Bench pressâ??10 sets of 10 reps at 315"

sounds like fun

If you have the time and inclination to do “hard conditioning” on off-days, then why not just have an additional day or two of training with weights?

The reason for working out 2 days a week is 1. Striving for balance ( I am not a competitive athlete nd will like to be well balanced between strength, conditioning, mobility.) 2. I was a beautiful turf field across the street from me which I perform Sprints on. 3. I feel if you can get it done in 2 why go 3?

1. Squat â?? 5,5,5+
    2a) Low incline barbell bench press â??-5,5,5+
    2b) One arm dumbbell row â?? 8,8,8+

2. Back extension or KB swings â?? 3Ã?10-15 With Ab work

3. Calve Raises s/s Bicep Curls 2 x ?
    Workout 2

4. Deadlift â?? 5,3,2
    2a) Standing barbell press â?? 5,5,5+
    2b) Neutral grip chin-up â?? 8,8,8+

5. Goblet Squats- 10,10,10
    100 Pushups + 100 Band Pull Aparts

I guess it depends on your definition of “well rounded” but to me I couldn’t get it done in two days. No disrespect, if that is all you have to work with then make the best of it. People will say just do the big 3. Which will work to make you stronger. People will say all kinds of things like you don’t need to work arms but people who don’t work arms directly don’t have arms that look like they lift weights

I’m actually thinking of just running this, it seems simple and it can lead to strength and size increases. On my conditioning days do you think I should add pushups and KB swings? Or keep things simple? Thanks for your help!

Where on AnytimeJakes forum can I find this?