T Nation

Weird Results? Why Am I Gaining?

I am approx 6’2 300 lbs so I have a lot of room to lose weight.

I started working out last week (Saturday) - I weighted in at approximately 295 lbs

Saturday I did light cardio (jogging for an hour or so)

Sunday I did full body weight training for an hour - hour and a half

Then I did either or each following day -

Monday cardio

Tuesday weights

Wednesday cardio

Thurs weights

Friday cardio

Sat today (gonna do weights)

I weighted myself today and I weighed 298 lbs.

I am eating 1600 - 2000 calories per day.

I don’t understand why I gained weight? Any insight? its tough to stay motivated to see stuff like this happen : (

[quote]billgudv wrote:
I am approx 6’2 300 lbs so I have a lot of room to lose weight.

I started working out last week (Saturday) - I weighted in at approximately 295 lbs

Saturday I did light cardio (jogging for an hour or so)

Sunday I did full body weight training for an hour - hour and a half

Then I did either or each following day -

Monday cardio

Tuesday weights

Wednesday cardio

Thurs weights

Friday cardio

Sat today (gonna do weights)

I weighted myself today and I weighed 298 lbs.

I am eating 1600 - 2000 calories per day.

I don’t understand why I gained weight? Any insight? its tough to stay motivated to see stuff like this happen : ([/quote]

Calories don’t matter, you gotta see where those are coming from - protein, carbs etc. Give us a food log.

then if you ate clean, you might just have gained some water weight, see if it changes next week. and start keeping that food log.

Well typically I’ll eat:

2 - 3 pieces of fruit for breakfast (I am not a breakfast eater)

small sandwich (turkey usually) or a couple granola bars for lunch

dinner will be 700 - 900 cals - a few veggie servings and chicken / fish / pork

protein shake after workout (100 - 300 cals)

might snack on something later in the night usually yogurt

[quote]billgudv wrote:
Well typically I’ll eat:

2 - 3 pieces of fruit for breakfast (I am not a breakfast eater)

small sandwich (turkey usually) or a couple granola bars for lunch

dinner will be 700 - 900 cals - a few veggie servings and chicken / fish / pork

protein shake after workout (100 - 300 cals)

might snack on something later in the night usually yogurt[/quote]

You effectively force your body into its “starvation-protection” mode.

It slows it whole base metabolism, stops fatloss and holds on to every calorie with all its prehistoric power :slight_smile:

That being said, weight fluctuation of <5lbs means basically nothing (water, food in your digestive system etc) and the scale alone is a very poor indicator of body composition.

Change your diet into something that actually work towards your goal, read up on nutrition as much as you can (sticky on top of this forum !) and come back with any specific questions.

Your bodyweight can fluctuate 1 or 2% just due to water intake and um… shit. At your weight that means around 6lbs. Try to weigh yourself at the same time everyday, preferably after your first trip to the bathroom.

And honestly, I know this may sound like odd advice, but I would eat more calories. Do a search for “adaptation” with posts by CT. Here is a long post where he says:

"The redical diet is good for a quick fix, but if performed over the long run it WILL lead to severe muscle loss regardless of how well planned your training is. 50g of BCAAs will help prevent some muscle loss.

But at over 300lbs there is NO WAY that you will prevent losing a good amount of muscle consuming only 1000kcals per day. Heck, you could be on many anabolics and still lose muscle with that deficit!

Now, your goal is to lose 80lbs, great! But how much time do you think it will take? Even if you were to lose 8lbs per week for the whole durating of the program, which is not realistic as your body will eventually adjust to the lowered caloric intake, it would still require 10 weeks to drop the 80lbs.

Are you planning on staying on the Radical diet for 10 weeks? If so I will venture as far as to say that you are likely to lose at least 15lbs of muscle, probably more. That is, if you do not go insane before that… I’ve known 125lbs figure girls who were starving on 1000 calories per day.

And as I mentionned, the body will eventually adapt to the caloric/nutrients intake you are giving it. At this point your progress will stagnate. What can you do when that happens? Drop down to 500 calories per day?!? Common!

And what do you think will happen when you increase food intake to normal levels? You will balloon back up! There is what is called a ‘‘relative caloric surplus’’; this refers to a level of food intake that is higher than what your body is used to receiving. When that happens, even if you are TECHNICALLY eating under maintenance, you will still gain fat.

For example if you get your body used to ingesting 1000 calories per day, after several weeks it will accept this as its normal feed amount, and then you suddenly increase caloric intake up to 2500 calories per day. That represents a relative surplus of 1500 calories per day, or over 10 000 calories per week (1 pound of fat = 3500 calories).

This relative surplus WILL lead to fat gain as long as your body has not adjusted back to the new caloric intake, and this will take weeks. So even though at 2500kcals per day you are maybe 1000kcals under your THEORETICAL maintenance level you will still gain fat until your metabolism adjusts.

Furthermore I don’t like to use plans relying on calories. The body doesn’t recognize calories, it’s only a measuring unit. It only recognize nutrients (quantity and quality).

I don’t know the training plan you are talking about, but a mistake peoples make when trying to lose weight is that they increase their reps and lift lighter weights. It is my belief that the best way to force your body to retain its muscle is to do everything in your power to maintain, or even increase, strength.

If you ask me you will not be able to sustain this plan until you reach your goal of losing 80lbs. And if you do, you will have lost almost as much muscle as fat. So in essence you will simply become a smaller version of what you are looking like right now.

I understand that fat loss and body transformation is an emotional issue. We want our body to change RIGHT NOW. But the fact of the matter is that you dug yourself into a pretty big hole; you can either try to do it fast or to do it right, which will require a long term approach."

Now this guy was eating less than you, but I think this still applies…And be sure you’re getting protein at every single meal - that means breakfast! In fact, your whole diet needs revamping. Look up articles by John Berardi, buy the book Precision Nutrition, and practice his “Effective Habits.”

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2127993&pageNo=0#2151129

Here is a link to a big guy who is eating too few calories. Some great advice in there from CT.

Also, I think you’re too big to be jogging (even “light” jogging). Even though everyone does it, running is really an advanced exercise.

Listen to CT as quoted above.

Calories do count if you are eating too few or too many! You are eating too few.

It all counts. Calories, nutrients and activities. A balancing act that is always changing due to adaption (EDIT adaptation) by our bodies.

The most common recommendation I have read over and over from CT and many other respected coaches is to initially only reduce you calories by 20% of your maintenance level.

The formula for that is here in an excellent article by Coach Thibaudeau on Carb Cycling which is the most frequently suggested method to lose fat, maintain a healthy metabolism, minimize muscle loss and support work outs all at once.

My nonscientific explanation:

The key is a small caloric deficit not a huge one. Just enough that your body is not starving it’s just a little low on fuel. The activity every day tells it that feeding your muscles is a priority over holding on to fat. It knows there will be more activity and more food (not starving) so it will go and use the fat. It’s that simple.

Good luck!

Just to add to what everyone’s mentionned already, It’s possible that if you were particularly inactive before starting your program that some of your weight is from muscle growing everywhere… your muscles aren’t used to beeing taxed like this so they’re shocked into developpment, don’t worry it will stabilize.

[quote]matrick wrote:
billgudv wrote:

Calories don’t matter, you gotta see where those are coming from - protein, carbs etc. Give us a food log.

then if you ate clean, you might just have gained some water weight, see if it changes next week. and start keeping that food log.[/quote]

Calories DO matter.

Ok, you are eating too few calories. But, good new is it doesn’t sound like you have been in this deficit for too long to have caused metabolic damage. I would suggest 2000-2500 kcals a day. Make sure you get the majority of your calories from whole foods, lean meats, healthy fats, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.

Weight can fluctuate greatly from one day to another. First of all, make sure that you weigh yourself at the same time under the same conditions. The scale lies. A couple lb increase has a whole host of potential causes.

You could have been mildly dehydrated, or slightly glycogen depleted, or had empty stomach contents, or all of the above. Can’t forget about low sodium levels either. And at the second weigh in most or all of these factors could have been in reverse causing a large gain in weight. It is also unlikely that you gained enough muscle to account for it, and there is no way that you put on fat, so don’t worry about it.

The scale lies, just move on and keep chugging along.

Food logs are extremely beneficial tools.

scale weight means nothing
size maters.

also you are eating way too little here.
I am close to 300 pounds myself and I was gaining weight no mater how little I ate so I ate less and I gained more weight.

I took the advice of others on here and started eating alot more I forced myself to eat and thinking the hole time,“man these people must be wacked out or something how the hell can I eat so much and lose fat”
but I eat about 3000-3500 cals a day and then for a couple weeks I only eat 2000 cals a day but I only do that for 2 weeks started like that in feb this year and I am slowly loosing my fat but body weights the same

your body gets used to seeing all the food and then you gain for a little bit but then you stop gaining and when you stop gaining then slightly lower your intake for a couple weeks and then you will start to loose again.
when you stop loosing then eat slightly more gain a little weight till you stop then do it again.

you slowly do that and over the course of time you will loose more than you gain and actually you will notice that you arent even gaining that much when you do up the cals.

(I am not a breakfast eater)

There is a term that (in general) adequately describes people who don’t eat breakfast.

FAT AND TIRED.

OP, no offense but I think this probably describes you as well. Eat a healthy breakfast daily or stay fat, the choice is yours.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
(I am not a breakfast eater)

There is a term that (in general) adequately describes people who don’t eat breakfast.

FAT AND TIRED.

OP, no offense but I think this probably describes you as well. Eat a healthy breakfast daily or stay fat, the choice is yours.[/quote]

I didnt catch this

I was also like this I never ate in the morning
now upon waking I have a huge glass of milk right away whle im still half asleep.

then i have 1/2 pound burger of ground steak on a bed of spinich with fresh homeade salsa
mmmm

ya gotta eat really

you need a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner possibly…breakfast is important. and try eating about 7 times throughout the day, every 2-3 hours.
example…breakfast, snack 2 hours later (apple or granola bar),lunch, snack, dinner, small snack, and i guess your shake after working out could be your last “meal”.you want to keep your metabolism running, and kick start it with a bigger breakfast.

oh and also for your cardio work, try interval training which is alot more effective. sprint for 30 seconds, walk for a minute, sprint, walk, etc… do that like 5-8 times and you should see quicker results.