T Nation

Weird Question: Eating Over Time

Lets just say I ate a box of Oreos over a six hour period. What would be the difference if I ate a box of Oreos over a 5 day period?

Is one better than the other for reducing the intake of fat and calories?

Thanks for your input on this terribly dumb question.

Is this a serious thread?

Its better to do it over time…think about it…but best to avoid cookies at all.
Although if its your cheat day I guess you could justify it.

[quote]Freaky Styley wrote:
Is this a serious thread?[/quote]

Honestly I was having an argument with a roommate. So yeah, I was serious. Anything to add?

I think it is best to eat them all at once that way your body may not digest everything and you will shit out unused calories.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I think it is best to eat them all at once that way your body may not digest everything and you will shit out unused calories.[/quote]

you do realize unused calories are not pooped out? they are either utilized for repair, muscle growth, or even fat storage (as well as other things).

let’s see, take in 2,000 calories in one meal that will dump tons of sugar into the bloodstream and be stored as fat, or eat one cookie a day that will have a negligible effect overall? seems like a tough choice

I’d spread them out and double your cardio. You might be fine then. lol Eating all of them at once will cause most of them to be stored as fat. Eating small amounts spread out will give your body a better chance at burning and using them for something. lol My advice for the best results is to not eat a box of oreos…ever…lol

Gerdy

It’s probably better to eat them over a longer period of time.

So you have a large series of insulin bumps instead of one huge insulin spike. The longer you space it out over, the better.

Or so I figure.

I thought it was a cool question, FWIW.

Just to be clear I am not planning on doing this. I was just trying to settle an argument with a roommate of mine. I thought Oreos would make a good example.

The answer is obvious: spread out over time. As has been mentioned, all those calories and other nutrients will be stored at the time of consumption, given the amount. Your body will use the calories and nutrients to a certain point, but once that point is reached, the rest gets put into fat storage.

So…over time.

I see… So eating the box of oreos over a 5 decade period would have even less impact???

This IS fascinating stuff. DOUBLE stuff! 8^D

If every thing else stays the same, The different approaches will be exactly the same after the 5 days. 2000 calories added. Whether you eat them all at once or not will not make a difference.

Now, maybe if you stacked them evenly around your workouts for those 5 days, you could partition a greater portion to muscle glycogen, and net fat gain would be less.

But if you aren’t lifting weights, and all we are talking about is an extra 2000 calories, then they are going to impact your body the same.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I think it is best to eat them all at once that way your body may not digest everything and you will shit out unused calories.

you do realize unused calories are not pooped out? they are either utilized for repair, muscle growth, or even fat storage (as well as other things).

let’s see, take in 2,000 calories in one meal that will dump tons of sugar into the bloodstream and be stored as fat, or eat one cookie a day that will have a negligible effect overall? seems like a tough choice [/quote]

Sometimes I poop out whole cookies, peanuts and corn.

[quote]Otep wrote:
It’s probably better to eat them over a longer period of time.

So you have a large series of insulin bumps instead of one huge insulin spike. The longer you space it out over, the better.

Or so I figure.

I thought it was a cool question, FWIW.[/quote]

I suspect the many spikes when added up will be bigger than the one. I like the question too, it is interesting.

No one has mentioned that it could spike the metabolism and actually reduce said person’s bodyfat.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
No one has mentioned that it could spike the metabolism and actually reduce said person’s bodyfat.[/quote]

That is exactly the reasoning of having a cheat day once a week while on a calorie restricting diet. As long as you keep your macros pretty much balanced, along with the bag of oreos, why not?

And the thought of Zap pooping out whole cookies is pretty funny.

I would go all at once. That way, I would probably barf and never want to eat another Oreo again, thus eliminating one more junk food I may feel the need to gorge on.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Sometimes I poop out whole cookies, peanuts and corn.[/quote]

A long time ago, I read a bodybuilding book written by a doctor who claimed that IF you eliminate ALL refined sugar from your diet, then once a week you could basically have a sugary cheat meal, and your body would not be able to absorb the sugar.

He actually recommended eating on the toilet, if anyone wants to try this at home.

I would go all at once no question. The insulin release over the 5 days will keep your insulin levels up the whole time, and the nutrients that you eat along with those oreos will be stored in cells instead of circulating. This is basically the idea behind carb cycling.

Wow, so many different responses. I was hoping for a clear cut answer but it seems the isn’t one.