T Nation

Weird Pain in Legs while Squatting

Hey guys, I have 26Yo, around 2 months on PL only and 1 year of BB.
I’m using linear progression to get more weights and I was recommended to start using 5x5 on my lifts.

My problem is on Squat, I’m at 120kg(264lbs)x5x5, and I can get more weight without problem, I don’t see myself failing in a lift at least until I get to 140kgs(308lbs). But I have a problem.
From 90kg(198lbs) and ahead I feel an weird pain on my Vastus Lateralis and Aductors if I get up fast. I need to grind my upward in 5seconds or more to don’t feel any pain. It is like my muscles Snaps and my joints get out of place for a moment.
Is this normal? Should I keep geting weights even with those super slow reps or should I keep on lower weights until it goes away?

I’m honestly not qualified to give you real medical advice but if I were in your situation I would work on improving strength in my lateral muscle groups and glutes outside of squatting and ensure you do a lot of stretches for your hip flexors, glutes, and outside/inside muscles and ligaments (TFL and ITband and your hip flexor and the inner muscles). And also ensure your feet and hip alignment are appropriate when you’re squatting… Try adjusting your foot spacing and the angle your feet are at (don’t do anything too wild, obviously, just make sure it feels natural and try a bit wider or more narrow and see how it goes)

The abductor/adductor machines are good for those muscle groups but since I’ve maxed out on them with no improvement if my own injury (piriformis syndrome) I don’t think they really help to engage and strengthen the associated tendons and ligaments. Using a cuff on a cable machine or an elastic band around the ankle and doing front, rear, in/outward straight leg movements to strengthen your knees and hips might help.

Do you have pain in those areas after your leg days? Have you found anything that helps/makes it worse? And no, it isn’t normal. When I hit a 5x5 or try for a ORM I definitely have to grind at the peak but not in order to improve pain, you should grind because it’s heavy af, and it should hurt good, and shit shouldn’t move where it’s not supposed to.

Thank you for the support.

Try adjusting your foot spacing and the angle your feet are at

I’ve been trying this, and I found an area where I can squat without any pain or having that “butt wink”

The abductor/adductor machines are good for those muscle groups

I only have access to a barbell and dumbbells, but I have a ton of bands, I will figure it out, somehow :slight_smile:
Can you tell me where I can find the “stretches for your hip flexors, glutes, and outside/inside muscles and ligaments” I’m pretty bat at it tbh

Do you have pain in those areas after your leg days? Have you found anything that helps/makes it worse?

If I do the upward of the squat fast, I feel that pain for 2 or 3 days, It isn’t soreness, it is something on my ligaments or joints, I can’t explain and the doctors didn’t found nothing weird there.
The only way that I find to make it pass is resting and do some light movements, like walking and stretching.

About 5x5 being hard. I had trained for a entire year using lower weights with super slow tempo reps in order to “build muscle”, I was in a commercial gym full of big body builders and found some love by the strength recently. I was recommended to start slow and add 1kg in each side of the bar each train until I can’t and them ask for help again. I found a point where it got hard in some exercices, like Bent over Row, Bench Press, OHP, but for leg exercises I’m still finding it super easy in the weight aspect. My DeadLift is super easy and I never found a single problem with it.

And there is one thing that makes it worse, very worse, Jumping. Trying to do high jumps make it pretty bad.

I want to say there’s a correlation between you squatting weight up fast, and you having pain jumping as well, since they both require your legs pushing movement quickly from a low squat position. I wish I had enough training in anatomy and body mechanics to say exactly what it is, perhaps a ligament or something is coming out of line on your decent and is being stretched out of alignment coming up- going slow lets it move back into place, but it can’t if you’re too fast. Box jumps are a super great exercise so I definitely feel your concern in your limitations. I genuinely believe a lot of people can benefit from building and stretching those little lateral muscles and ligaments in between your hips and your knees. (basically any and all of those weird band exercises girls do at the gym are awesome… Walking Squats with a resistance band around both of your legs just above your knees, or just doing body weight Squats with a band around your legs might help, hip thrusters, anything single-leg will fuck your life up and make everything stronger.
Have you tried neoprene knee sleeves or knee wraps? Sometimes wraps can do more harm than good but sleeves are a pretty neutral way to sort of provide compression, heat and stability on your knees without forcing movement.

Thank you for all the input, I have no problem in the knee area, is more in the hips. Probably I’ll try to find an good physiotherapist to find help