Weird Neighbors

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
I had a neighbor who was a chronic alcoholic and I thought he looked creepy, so I avoided him, even when he’d say hi and try to strike up a friendly conversation, I’d cut it short.

Well, another neighbor had some shady characters hanging around and one day when I came home from work I found a couple of shady characters in my carport asking me for a date. I asked them to leave, but they refused. They then became rather nasty and forceful and my alcoholic nieghbor who was working in his yard came running over and called them out.

The creeps were very scared by this and left, and my neighbor told them to never return and they never did bother me again. He’s known for being scary looking and I think the creeps knew this and they didn’t want him to beat them up (or touch them, as he was riduculed for always looking dirty).

I got to know my neighbor better and he was actually a sweet, humble, respectful, harmless, unassuming person with a very big heart. He just looked mean and gruff.

Then, I took better notice that he’d be out in his yard a lot and watching the creepy neighbor’s friends as if he were making sure they didn’t cause any trouble to me or the other neighbors, some of whom were elderly. In my heart, I called him a guardian angel.

A few months after he basically saved me from possible harm, he was walking across the street in a very busy intersection of town, was struck by a car and died at the scene.

Anyway, that experience taught me that you can never judge a book by it’s cover. There are some really fine, upstanding, professional appearing people in this world who are totally messed up. And there are some really creepy looking people who are unfortunately judged by their appearances or some of their personality quirks/quirky habits, but are really fine people.

And also, I’m glad that I was able to get to know that neighbor and who he was as a person, even though that time was short.[/quote]

Your stories are almost always sweet and touching with a good message.

We all judge people too quickly. I have done it.

As a teacher now I try to find some time for the kids who have few friends, who look ‘odd’, etc.

[quote]KneeBar wrote:
You could always “find religion” and then invite him to a Xenu worship service. When he asked about Xenu, reply. “Xenu is an alien ruler of the “Galactic Confederacy” who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of aliens to Earth in DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to wreak chaos and havoc today. Would you like to come to dinner and discuss the ramifications of this truth upon your soul?” Or something to that effect.[/quote]

Ha ha, come on, no one could EVER believe that story, could they? The average Tom, John or Alley would run a mile if they heard that SF nonsense!

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
Your stories are almost always sweet and touching with a good message.

We all judge people too quickly. I have done it.

As a teacher now I try to find some time for the kids who have few friends, who look ‘odd’, etc.
[/quote]

Hey Deano, you’re a teacher, that’s so great! Wow, challenging job you have!

Some good advice…
I like the relating my lifting to his hunting, I think he might understand that.
I realize he has no clue what goes on lifting weights as what he said the first time he interupted me while deadlifting he said “I tried lifting them weights once for a week, it didn’t get any easier! Thar ain’t for me”
I think the guy is harmless and he would let me know if someone was messing with my house while I was at work which is good.

He is just really really bored but oh well that really isnt my problem. I realize it sounds a little cold but I am a loner type person and want to be left alone (one of the reasons I live away from town.) So good guy or not I really dont want to talk about hunting for an hour.

Oh well I can deal with it I just think nyone would find it somewhat unsettling to have some toothless old guy watching them from far away while you work out.

He probaly finds it kind of interesting and hasnt seen people do that kind of stuff before but oh well I didnt move here for his entertainment.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
He is just really really bored but oh well that really isnt my problem. I realize it sounds a little cold but I am a loner type person and want to be left alone (one of the reasons I live away from town.) So good guy or not I really dont want to talk about hunting for an hour.
[/quote]

I have an idea. How about getting him either an X-Box, Playstation or Nintendo game console with games, including a hunting game or two, for Christmas, set it up for him, show him how to use it, etc? I don’t know a single guy who didn’t play on those things for hours, days, months, years, grow cobwebs from playing so much, after getting his first one.

Or some kind of hunting software or software game for his computer if he has one? If he has no computer, a set of hunting videos to watch on tv? Seocond hand hunting book set?

If you don’t want to spend that much on him (which is really an investment for you and your free time), how about hooking him up with a hunting group or club? Just sign him up, then the next time he wants to chat tell him “guess what I thought you’d love this so I signed you up as a member of this hunting club, the next meeting is on monday.”

Maybe he could take up golf?

I understand completely why you like to do your own thing, you don’t need to apologize. There’s nothing more peaceful and calming than to be away from the rat race and from hoardes of people and to be alone with just your own thoughts. I actually think it can be very healthy and replenishing. A lot of great thinkers, philosophers and the like went out into the boonies to be alone to ponder. I know these may or may not be your reasons, but I think they had a good idea going in terms of cognitive, emotional and physical health.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
KO421 wrote:

I have an idea. How about getting him either an X-Box, Playstation or Nintendo game console with games, including a hunting game or two, for Christmas, set it up for him, show him how to use it, etc? I don’t know a single guy who didn’t play on those things for hours, days, months, years, grow cobwebs from playing so much, after getting his first one.

Or some kind of hunting software or software game for his computer if he has one? If he has no computer, a set of hunting videos to watch on tv? Seocond hand hunting book set?

If you don’t want to spend that much on him (which is really an investment for you and your free time), how about hooking him up with a hunting group or club? Just sign him up, then the next time he wants to chat tell him “guess what I thought you’d love this so I signed you up as a member of this hunting club, the next meeting is on monday.”

Maybe he could take up golf?

I understand completely why you like to do your own thing, you don’t need to apologize. There’s nothing more peaceful and calming than to be away from the rat race and from hoardes of people and to be alone with just your own thoughts. I actually think it can be very healthy and replenishing. A lot of great thinkers, philosophers and the like went out into the boonies to be alone to ponder. I know these may or may not be your reasons, but I think they had a good idea going in terms of cognitive, emotional and physical health.
[/quote]

wow I appreciate the thought and time you put into your reply, I think video games are a little beyond him (I have a laptop mounted in my truck on the center console for work and he thought it was the wierdest thing ever.)

I got a good idea of how to deal with him I might buy him some hunting books just to retain good neighbor relations