T Nation

Weird Feeling During Bench

I figured this is the place to ask this, considering I Bench press more or less PL style. When I benching, my left trap kind of hurts. It’s definitely not a sharp, harsh pain, like where it’s OBVIOUS I need to do something different. It’s almost like it just tingles a bit, and almost feels like it’s been worked after the sets over. It feels like maybe it’s tight, but I’ve foam rolled before hand and it still does it. Don’t feel it in the right trap.

Just curious if this is anything to worry about. I know my left clavicle hurts horribly during dips, so I dropped those. Wasn’t sure if this may be related, just trying to give enough info. If this totally something that just happens when keeping a tight upper back, that’s fine. I just don’t want to be effing something up and not know. Thanks in advance to anyone who provides insight.

You definitely should feel pressure in your traps but that tingling feeling may mean you have some sort of shoulder/mobility problem. I used to get this when squatting and benching but shoulder dislocations solved the problem in a couple weeks. I still have really tight traps but they never get that feeling when benching anymore. Also remember to bring your shoulder blades back and DOWN. Don’t shrug them towards your head.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
You definitely should feel pressure in your traps but that tingling feeling may mean you have some sort of shoulder/mobility problem. I used to get this when squatting and benching but shoulder dislocations solved the problem in a couple weeks. I still have really tight traps but they never get that feeling when benching anymore. Also remember to bring your shoulder blades back and DOWN. Don’t shrug them towards your head.[/quote]

THanks. I’ll try the shoulder dislocates and see what happens. Like I said, it’s not what I’d consider painful, just strange. Just didn’t want to be ignoring a larger issue

[quote]daraz wrote:
You should switch to 5/3/1 and if that doesn’t work try sheiko[/quote]

LOL wut?

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]daraz wrote:
You should switch to 5/3/1 and if that doesn’t work try sheiko[/quote]

LOL wut? [/quote]

Just ignore him. He’s turning into the pseudo-RV of the PL forum.

It could be a few things. Mobility issue, form issue, muscle imbalance, etc.

My first few years of “lifting” I didn’t really know wtf I was doing, and didn’t really care. Bench numbers was the only one I gave even a little attention to. What you are describing happened to me at that time. Of course, being an idiot, I didn’t change anything. Short story, my chest was far more developed than my back, and this caused some problems. Not necessarily what you have going on, but I would recommend keeping your 1RM weighted chin-up equal to your 1RM bench. For instance if you weigh 200, bench 300, you should be able to do a chin up with 100 strapped on.

do you lift you head at all during the bench? Its a terrible habit and i used to do it but it actually caused alot of strains, head position can be applied to any movement you should really try to maintain neutral head position. Also are your shoulderblades down as well as back? Sometimes if im not focusing fully i dont bring them down and that fucks with my neck. just a couple things to think about

[quote]mkral55 wrote:
It could be a few things. Mobility issue, form issue, muscle imbalance, etc.

My first few years of “lifting” I didn’t really know wtf I was doing, and didn’t really care. Bench numbers was the only one I gave even a little attention to. What you are describing happened to me at that time. Of course, being an idiot, I didn’t change anything. Short story, my chest was far more developed than my back, and this caused some problems. Not necessarily what you have going on, but I would recommend keeping your 1RM weighted chin-up equal to your 1RM bench. For instance if you weigh 200, bench 300, you should be able to do a chin up with 100 strapped on. [/quote]

Thanks. In the last month or so I’ve really been hammering away at back strength, to counteract all the pressing I do. I do some back work everyday I’m in the gym, and my chins seem to always be around my Bench numbers. Thanks for letting me know I’m on the right track

[quote]bignate wrote:
do you lift you head at all during the bench? Its a terrible habit and i used to do it but it actually caused alot of strains, head position can be applied to any movement you should really try to maintain neutral head position. Also are your shoulderblades down as well as back? Sometimes if im not focusing fully i dont bring them down and that fucks with my neck. just a couple things to think about[/quote]

No I keep my head on the bench, I’ve never known how people do it the other way. Hurts my neck immediately.

The bringing the shoulder blades down thing, I think I do that, but now I’m not sure. I basically make my upper back tight like a band pullapart, lay down about midway down the bench, then slowly push my upper back farther up the bench until I’ve built a lot of tension in the area and am in a good position to press. I’m not actively concentrating on keeping them ‘down’ I suppose, just keeping the area tight

Sounds like a nerve is getting pinched.

[quote]HeavyTriple wrote:
Sounds like a nerve is getting pinched.[/quote]

Ahh shit. lol.

Suggestions on how to fix that??

cut off your traps

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Ahh shit. lol.

Suggestions on how to fix that??[/quote]

get it checked out by someone good? An MRI would locate the pinching i think, but a good therpaist should be able to find it and take care of that. Could be a compressed rib interfering with the nerves, theres a shit load going on in the first couple ribs and neck shit can get all fucked up

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

Ahh shit. lol.

Suggestions on how to fix that??[/quote]

Haha, well beyond my scope. Should be correctable with therapy, but definitely get it checked out if it continues.

Ok guys, I was experimenting with the Benching, and it seemed LIFTING my neck actually took nearly all the pain away. Is there a chance I’m putting too much stress on my neck from arching hard 4-5x a week benching??

I think your problem is benching 4-5 times a week.

[quote]gorangers0525 wrote:
I think your problem is benching 4-5 times a week.[/quote]

Only one session is near failure. The rest is light, explosive work. I’m doing High Frequency Strength Work.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Ok guys, I was experimenting with the Benching, and it seemed LIFTING my neck actually took nearly all the pain away. Is there a chance I’m putting too much stress on my neck from arching hard 4-5x a week benching?? [/quote]

just like lifting up, pushing ypour head down can cause just as much imbalance.

[quote]bignate wrote:

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
Ok guys, I was experimenting with the Benching, and it seemed LIFTING my neck actually took nearly all the pain away. Is there a chance I’m putting too much stress on my neck from arching hard 4-5x a week benching?? [/quote]

just like lifting up, pushing ypour head down can cause just as much imbalance.[/quote]

Yeah, looking at my set-up, I’ve been putting too much pressure on my neck, as opposed to my traps and upper back. I’m going to really work on this. Thanks