T Nation

Weird Elbow Feeling

I hesitated making this thread because I know you don't answer injury related questions, however what I am experiencing is NOT an injury, just something that can be annoying from time to time.

When I do vertical pressing movements or elbow extension movements, some times I feel like something is "shifting" in my elbow over my ulnar nerve. It doesnt hurt like if I were to smash my elbow against something and experience that jolting feeling from hitting the "funny bone", but its just............weird.

Do you know what this could possibly be?

Perhaps BushidoBadBoy came chime in?

Same issue with shoulder joint pain from overuse of pressing movements.

I get this whenever a program longer than 6 weeks calls for extensions AND pressing (chest, shoulder) on the same day. It's common, and goes away by laying off the combo of the two for 3-4 weeks.

Personally I bounce between extensions and dips for tricep development in my programs.

Oddly enough Thib's Mechanical Drop Set program which I just finished called for no dips, nor extensions, but a whole butt load of different angle and depths in pressing. No elbow pain. Even after 12 weeks.

I blame the addition of extensions, especially overhead or skullcrusher based.

All Traps,

What did you think of the MDS Program??? What kind of lean body mass results did you see?

Did you do any pre-program assessment?

I find most of the time I get it in extension type movements, but occasionally overhead pressing movements too.

I had a feeling that it wouldn't ever go away, but it does suck because sometimes when I wanna work my triceps or even shoulder's, I'll just get it all of a sudden.

Thats the reason why I alternate between compound triceps movements and more isolatory ones.

Thanks for the input.

MDS was awesome. I think it was a great prep for the upcoming I, Bodybuilder.

My training partner put on 25lbs (I'd guess 5lbs of fat) but he had little bodybuilding type lifting experience (<1 year weight training exp in total). I only put on 10lbs (3lbs fat according to my bf scale) but admitedly I didn't eat near enough.

Put 40lbs on my bench press, 35lbs on my deadlift, 35lbs on my bent row, and got by back squat back up to my old PR of 250lb (couldn't touch that in four years since training Max-OT style).

Negatives, I'd say don't do this unless you're eating enough and loaded on all the supps he suggest. Weirdly, I wasn't terribly sore, but I attribute that to tons of foam rolling and the supps (SWF, Powerdrive, Beta 7, Creatine, GPC, and later Curcumin).

My joints did take a pounding and I accumulated my fair share of annoying little injuries that I'd expect from a 12 week program (wrist, shoulder, clavicle, low back tenderness). I'm happy to be away from that style of lifting for 6 weeks (training athletic style right now; Parisi mixed with Twist).

Biggest positive that my training partner agrees with is that if you're not 100% confident doing a deadlift, a squat, a bench press, a bicep curl....you'll feel extremely confident in form after the program.

I get the same thing in my elbow, it's exactly as you described. I assumed, that I needed to adjust or lower weight due to this.

Once weight lowered problem solved. However, I stray away from extension workouts because I cannot put enough intensity into it :stuck_out_tongue:

Ya see thats the problem. My triceps work can suffer (even shoulder work sometimes) because of that stupid elbow. What sucks is that I can go days or months without it and them BAM, one workout it decides to show up and screw things up.

I did notice that on extension type movements that can employ a stretch (overhead extension with a bar for example) if I avoid that stretch position, it greatly reduces the potential for it popping up.

Thanks for the input.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

BBB,

If tightness of the forearms was the OP's issue, what you suggest to alleviate? Could you suggest something for me as well? I get what the OP described from time to time and I know for sure that I have tight extensors (and flexors to a lesser extent). I get an audible pop (*but no pain) from pressing/extending movements, especially when I'm not warmed up, like getting up off the floor, or doing pushups when I'm cold). I believe this would explain the popping issue but I have no idea how to fix it.

Also, my extensors often hurt really bad when my wrists are bent beck (in the benching position or when performing push press/cleans). Wrist wraps alleviate the problem, but I find myself becoming over reliant on them. Sorry for the hi-jack

Also to further describe the elbow popping issue, I tend to have what appears to be like pitchers elbow (mostly in my right arm) such that the arm doesn't bend all the way (about shy 20 degrees of 180) due to tight biceps tendon I would guess. The left elbow is similar but not as severe. It's been like this for years and I figured there's nothing I could do, but I've probably also never seen anyone qualified. Thanks. It's worth a shot to throw this out there to you.

BT

Thanks BBB. I will try stretching my forearm extensors.

Again, usually (I say usually) a compound pushing exercise doesn't aggravate it, but elbow extension type movements can. Usually happens when cold (like what bulletprooftiger said above). And it doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally.

Hi BBB,

Just wondering if you ever got around to answering BulletproofTigers question regarding the ulnar nerve popping?

I’ll copy it here again at the bottom of my post in case not. Basically though, I believe I have caused some kind of muscle imbalance which has thrown my elbow joint out and causing the ulnar nerve to not glide properly. Most people say it’s the flexors that are over tight, but I’m thinking it may be my extensors…

Just wondering if you could throw a few words out about this and any particular treatment plan for going at it?

Best Regards

Joe

"If tightness of the forearms was the OP’s issue, what you suggest to alleviate? Could you suggest something for me as well? I get what the OP described from time to time and I know for sure that I have tight extensors (and flexors to a lesser extent). I get an audible pop (*but no pain) from pressing/extending movements, especially when I’m not warmed up, like getting up off the floor, or doing pushups when I’m cold). I believe this would explain the popping issue but I have no idea how to fix it.

Also, my extensors often hurt really bad when my wrists are bent beck (in the benching position or when performing push press/cleans). Wrist wraps alleviate the problem, but I find myself becoming over reliant on them. Sorry for the hi-jack

Also to further describe the elbow popping issue, I tend to have what appears to be like pitchers elbow (mostly in my right arm) such that the arm doesn’t bend all the way (about shy 20 degrees of 180) due to tight biceps tendon I would guess. The left elbow is similar but not as severe. It’s been like this for years and I figured there’s nothing I could do, but I’ve probably also never seen anyone qualified. Thanks. It’s worth a shot to throw this out there to you."

Hey BulletproofTiger,

Just wondering if you managed to sort your ulnar nerve problems out?

I’m having similar symptoms…

Best Regards

Joe