T Nation

Weights Set From Ebay

I’m considering this set from ebay:

http://tinyurl.com/ydy7ce

Any thoughts? How’s the quality look?

45 pounds is 45 pounds. There isn’t much concern for quality when it comes to plates. As far as the bar, yes quality should be an issue, but I think it also depends on the kind of weight you will be putting on the bar.

Most people can go many years with just a plain, average-quality bar from anywhere. Some can go their whole lifting career. And that’s fine. Others may put their bar through more abuse, whether it’s just the added weight on the bar or the exercise selection.

The bottom line is, if it’s a good deal, get the set. If you need a higher quality bar, buy one separately.

The knurling on the bar doesn’t look very deep. I prefer pretty aggressive knurling for deadlifts, bent-over rows, and cleans. A softer knurl feels better on back for back squats. For pressing, it doesn’t matter to me.

I wouldn’t want that set for the simple fact that you can’t deadlift very easily with plates that aren’t round. So if this is to be your only weight set, and you plan on deadlifting, you should probably consider that.
Good luck, and happy shopping!

I would not get the damn things Ive used them and there round counterparts and there a pain in the ass. not only are they not round you have to lock them into one another. Just a pain in the ass.

That rubber coating crap makes it a pain in the ass to push them on the bar at time. They arenmt round as an above poster said which can suck for DLing and oly lifst of the floor. if you want to add more weight in the future which by god I hope you will have to track down these same plate which well is a ton easier if you get standard round non coated plate.

The regular plate etc should also be much cheaper then those not sure about the exchange rate but here in the states you can get a 300lb set any day for $99US

just my 2cc
Phill

If it is a good buy in terms of shipping versus a local purchase, go for it. Be sure that is a 7’ bar as next to the 45 lbs plates it looks shorter.

[quote]halfpintdd wrote:
I wouldn’t want that set for the simple fact that you can’t deadlift very easily with plates that aren’t round. So if this is to be your only weight set, and you plan on deadlifting, you should probably consider that.
Good luck, and happy shopping![/quote]

My thoughts exactly. My gym has these octagonal plates and I hate deadlifting with them. Cleans are annoying as well.

Thanks everyone … you’re right, I hadn’t thought about how they’d be for deads, or issues getting them onto the bar - I think I’ll keep looking.

[quote]Phill wrote:
The regular plate etc should also be much cheaper then those not sure about the exchange rate but here in the states you can get a 300lb set any day for $99US Phill[/quote]

If only! That converts to about $130 AUD for 136kg … the best I’ve found so far for olympic plates is $2.50 per kilo - http://www.platinumfitness.com.au/25.html

Check craigslist.com in your area. People give weights away on that site.

Some octagonal plates aren’t so bad. Our gym uses some that aren’t coated and don’t have to lock, and they’re pretty good.

Of course, they also have some old, round ones over by the deadlift area.

Used Sporting Goods stores like “Play it Gain Sports” Sells their used weights for $0.35/ per Lb. Cant get a better deal than that!

[quote]halfpintdd wrote:
Good luck, and happy shopping![/quote]

All you need is one set of round 45s the hexshaped ones will slide on real easy making it better for deadlifting.

I’d buy that for a dollar.

If you live in Perth, check out the online quokka listings. Plenty of good quality stuff going cheap each week, although you have to wade through countless ads for abdomisers and elipticals/rowing machines/chuck norris home gyms.

I know that most wal-marts sell olympic weights as well. Not sure how good the quality is though.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Used Sporting Goods stores like “Play it Gain Sports” Sells their used weights for $0.35/ per Lb. Cant get a better deal than that![/quote]

The Play it Again Sports by my house had a set of 100lb York plates for $70.00

[quote]oldskinnyfat wrote:
Thanks everyone … you’re right, I hadn’t thought about how they’d be for deads, or issues getting them onto the bar - I think I’ll keep looking.

Phill wrote:
The regular plate etc should also be much cheaper then those not sure about the exchange rate but here in the states you can get a 300lb set any day for $99US Phill

If only! That converts to about $130 AUD for 136kg … the best I’ve found so far for olympic plates is $2.50 per kilo - http://www.platinumfitness.com.au/25.html
[/quote]

Mate I’ve been looking around for weights myself. The cheapest olympic plates in Oz I can find are from

www.crazycheapfitness.com.au.

They are metal plates and are $1.89/kg.

I think you are going to struggle to find a cheap bar with which you can drop deads and O-lifts. You really need one with needle-roller thrust bearings in the sleeves so that you don’t screw up your wrists on o-lifts and it can take the pounding when the weights hit the ground. Probably the best value one (the B0220NM) would be from

www.australianbarbellco.com

These guys also sell what are probably the cheapest bumper plates, probably because they are made here and you are not paying for international shipping. Now they have told me that all of their weight plates can be dropped depending on the floor surface, however if you want true bumper plates where they are all the same diameter from 10-25 kg plates go for the PORCC calibrated plates. The price they quoted me was $4.30/kg. All their other plates are cheaper.

If you want info on pricing and plate diameters PM me your email and I can forward the replies I got to my queries. Otherwise contact them directly.

Cheers,

Ben