Weights for an Amateur Contest

[quote]Reed wrote:
Average weight you’ll see for a deadlift for lightweights meaning under 231lbs
Either Max Deadlift or for reps around 500lbs straps are usually allowed and you can hitch.
230-250 farmers
650-750 yokes
Stones ranging from 220-340 or reps with 250-280 stone.
230-270 axle for reps
220-260 log for reps
These are just rough estimates for ameteur Strongman silver to platinum grade contests. platinum plus or pro ams. Add 5-10% to each event for those atleast.
[/quote]

I pulled this quote from a beginner thread, and I found it amazingly helpful. I had been looking for something like this. Decided to drop it in a thread here for people looking for something similar (so that it’s not buried in some random thread in the beginner forum).

I also wanted to see what some other strongman competitors thought about the kind of weight they see at amateur contests (more toward silver level). It would also be cool to know what sort of reps may be competitive in your experience.

To me, your weights on the log, axle, and stones are a bit on the high side for most silver competitions I’ve done, but this is a good guide.

Really lol I’m gonna have to compete in some comps where your from. Around the GA TN area shit is heavy.

Well, most silver competitions I’ve been to the promoters try to pick weights that nearly everyone will be able to handle. Consequentially, the winners do a million reps. For example, the last time I had an axle for reps at a silver, I think they had us to 230, and I won it with 12 reps. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that seeing how I’d get more than that now (hopefully). Obviously at higher level competitions, the weights get much higher because they’re not designed for beginners.

I understand I just have never been able find a silver show around I guess. I believe every comp I have been in was a platinum. I’m usually the Guy just begging to finish the event lol.

Right, platium and particularly platium plus shows get a lot heavier than this.

those looks like some manageable weights

In really seems to vary depending on what part of the country you are on.

West coast everything is always heavy. Not many novice or beginner level contests like I see in other parts of the country.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
In really seems to vary depending on what part of the country you are on.

West coast everything is always heavy. Not many novice or beginner level contests like I see in other parts of the country. [/quote]

Hey I checked out that Juggernaut deadlift info they put out recently and noticed you wrote a section of it! Thought that was cool.

Usually contest numbers vary by what the top guys at nationals do. A platinum plus should be the same weights as a national competition, a platinum around 90%, a gold 80%, and silver 70%, lately the top guys have been pushing the weights higher and higher and around here the contests have definitely followed that rule.