T Nation

Weightlifting Warm Up Protocol

Hi CT, whic warm up protocol do you recommend for weightlifting comp?? what do you think about this protocol??

Snatch 60% x3 70% x2 80% x1 85% x1 90% x1 and first attempt.
C&J 60%x2 70%x2 80%x1 90% x1 and first attempt.

Are the numbers percents of your 1st attempt or percents of your max?

of the 1st attempt, I’m lost , if you could give me some reference about which warm protocol to use i would greatly appreciate it.

[quote]MVN wrote:
of the 1st attempt, I’m lost , if you could give me some reference about which warm protocol to use i would greatly appreciate it.[/quote]

Don’t you have a coach? Planning a warm-up for a competition is not something you just draw up like that, several issues need to be considered.

1. The number of competitors and especially the number of attempts before your opener. This can actually be more complex than it looks…

For example let’s say that you have 6 lifters (you + 5 more).

In the snatch the openers (which are announced before the warm-up begins) are (for the sake of this example)

Lifter 1: 80kg
Lifter 2: 75kg
You: 82kg
Lifter 4: 76kg
Lifter 5: 92kg
Lifter 6: 81kg

We can deduct how many attempts by making assumption about what weights they are likely to do…

For example we can theorize that the lifters will do:

Lifter 1: 80 - 83 - 86
Lifter 2: 75 - 78 - 80
Lifter 4: 76 - 79 - 81
Lifter 5: 92 - 95 - 97
Lifter 6: 81 - 84 - 87

Since you are starting at 82kg that would mean that according to this prediction you would have 8 bars before your opener… BUT since people can use strategy and change their weights it could be 6 or 9.

That is VERY important. It’s not only about which bars you do in the warm-up room, but how you time them. You don’t want to have too much time between your last warm-up lift and your opener so avoid getting cold and you don’t want to be rushed either.

1. The individual pattern of the athlete. I have two lifters that train together. Dave tends to make huge jumps during his session. For example a snatch training for him might look like:

Bar x 3
60kg x 3
80kg x 2
90kg x 2
100kg x 2
110kg x 1
120kg x 1

Dave is mega explosive and super aggressive. If he does too many bars he burns himself out. And the bigger jumps actually forces him to take every lift seriously.

Hugo on the other hand turns in his best performance when he work up VERY slowly. He is more about technique and precision than raw power. And he prefers to do more sets to fine tune his technique. Since he is very energy efficient, doing more sets doesn’t fatigue him.

It’s not unusual to see him make 5kg jumps, doing as many as 12 warm-up sets.

So in competition if I have Dave do 10 warm-up bars it might throw him off. And if I only use 6 with Hugo he might not be sharp.

First and foremost the best warm-up protocol is the one that fits your own natural preference.

1. The experience of the lifter… an inexperienced lifter might be very nervous before a competition, so planning more attempts, especially with lighter weights might be a good idea to get into a rhythm , build confidence etc. A more advance/experience lifter might not need as many lifts.

Ideally you want your last warm-up lift to be done where there are two lifts left before your opener. When the next to last (compared to you) lifter is called to the platform, do your last warm-up set. That should give you 3 minutes before being called to the platform and thus up to 4 minutes before doing your lift.

I don’t really like to work with percents for warm-ups. What are you planned openers?