Weightlifting Shoes

Ok, so I’ve been lifting with my new adidas adistar shoes for about 3 weeks now. One word: amazing. Prior to this I was using a pair of old adidas indoor soccer shoes, which were alright for what I was doing. I’ve always been able to go ass to grass in squats without much trouble.

Now this is where the “amazing” factor comes in. The raised heel actually made my regular back squat go up right away just from the change in angle. My quads now are getting the full weight of the squat on them and I felt this after one of my last workouts.

I’m not saying that your squat will go up if you buy these shoes, or that they are magical slippers that will turn you into a squatting beast. However, if you’ve ever had trouble going rock-bottom in your squats or turning your squat into a good-morning hybrid, then these are for you.

Even in Arnold’s book, and in a picture, you can see that they put small boards under their heels. Maybe I’m on to something? The stress they allow you to put on the quads is amazing as well. Highly recommended.

The key here is majority of people lack ankle flexibility. Hence, when you wear these shoes, they help increase it to where you can get down lower and feel more stable(the wood heel).

As always, work on ankle and hip flexibility. However, I agree with you that weightlifting shoes are highly recommended just for the stability and comfort factor.

I got a pair of Werk-san weight lifting shoes and i always squat in them. Since i do my squats at the end of my oly training i just happen to be wearing them anyway.

Once you get used to them if you ever forget them you squats will feel all messed up. I can’t squat the same weight with out shoes.

Is there any good ankle mobility programs? I would like to start squatting bare foot, but right now not a possibility because of really poor ankle flexibility. I have to wear the Doowins with the really high heel…

My back squat is about the same with and without, but the front squat is where I really enjoy my weightlifting shoe. Sure I can hit same depth with and without, but I just have better stability through the lift.

I mostly just do front squats as it is a better lift for me right now, so the weightlifting shoe is great for this type of squat.

[quote]elih8er wrote:
Is there any good ankle mobility programs? I would like to start squatting bare foot, but right now not a possibility because of really poor ankle flexibility. I have to wear the Doowins with the really high heel…[/quote]

I’m sure its more of a hip problem then ankle flexibility, unless your some rare squatter who squats closer then shoulder width. Yet here is a good link to improve ankle flexibility. How to Squat with Proper Form: The Definitive Guide | StrongLifts

Also constantly work on hip mobility also, its the most important thing to hit proper depth.

I use Asics Rulon shoes for Squats

[quote]elih8er wrote:
Is there any good ankle mobility programs? I would like to start squatting bare foot, but right now not a possibility because of really poor ankle flexibility. I have to wear the Doowins with the really high heel…[/quote]

Check out this link as well:

http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2580&highlight=ankle+flexibility

The heel throws your centre of balance forward (try standing on your toes without leaning forward), you have to compensate either by bending more at the knee or at the hips to get the same depth, in the long run this won’t be good.

It does however make your quads work harder, but most people are quad dominant and have weak hams anyway.

I’d be looking to squat with a flat heel unless your really tall, even then I would just do front squats to emphasise the quads instead.

[quote]Doyle wrote:
The heel throws your centre of balance forward (try standing on your toes without leaning forward), you have to compensate either by bending more at the knee or at the hips to get the same depth, in the long run this won’t be good.

It does however make your quads work harder, but most people are quad dominant and have weak hams anyway.

I’d be looking to squat with a flat heel unless your really tall, even then I would just do front squats to emphasise the quads instead.
[/quote]

This is a load of crap. Your center of balance is wherever the bar path is, and if you squat properly it’s just as easy to keep your weight on your heels in weightlifting shoes as any other shoe. And to quote Jim Wendler, unless your shit is hanging over your knee, your not fucking quad dominant.

[quote]Doyle wrote:

[/quote]

The heel isn’t actually as pronounced as you think. The lift you get from it is really similar to putting a 2.5lb plate underneath a flat soled shoe like, for instance, the chuck taylor.

Are the converse good lifting shoes? I see alot of people wearing them.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:
Are the converse good lifting shoes? I see alot of people wearing them.[/quote]
They are good for wide stance // squats, and deadlifts due to the flat sole. Weightlifting shoes are superior for normal stance below // squats.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Doyle wrote:

This is a load of crap. Your center of balance is wherever the bar path is, and if you squat properly it’s just as easy to keep your weight on your heels in weightlifting shoes as any other shoe. And to quote Jim Wendler, unless your shit is hanging over your knee, your not fucking quad dominant.[/quote]

Lol! So true.