T Nation

Weightlifting=Rear Delt Development?

I know that weightlifting isn’t a sport known for bodybuilding-like physiques, but one thing that has always amazed me is the shoulder development that these athletes obtain, particularly in the rear deltoids. What exactly allows them to achieve such impressive rear delts? Is it the clean? The sheer amount of weight that they have to stabilize overhead? or is there something in the snatch that causes this growth? I doubt that they do much isolation work, yet that’s what I always read is “necessary” for rear delt development.

work. tons of work.

to press a lot,you have to… press a lot. weightlifters who “practice” their lifts many times a week end up doing a large volume of overhead work, albeit not in one workout like a bodybuilder would. hence combined with good diet and favourable genes great muscular development.

remember there is more than one way to climb a mountain, even though the view from the top is the same.

snatches and cleans activate your reaer delts pretty hard.

Having said that I dont think their muscular development is particularly amazing.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
snatches and cleans activate your reaer delts pretty hard.

Having said that I dont think their muscular development is particularly amazing.[/quote]

I agree. His deltoid size/developement isn’t exactly spectacular (rear delts especially). It looks big(sort of) on him because
a)his arms are absolutely tiny
and b) he is very lean
, but in all honesty… Deadlift/rack pull(with a backwards shrug/pushing chest out and delts back at the top of each rep) and row (wideish grip, maybe higher into the body than usual) heavy, as well as maybe do face-pulls with enough weight and your rear delts take care of themselves… And that doesn’t even take all that long.

#Edit: and since he’s busy pulling his pants up (or whatever),it’s really no wonder that you can see his rear delts… They’re presently being used, after all.

IMO if you’re dead set on doing oly lifts in your routine hang clean and press would probably be your best option.

His rear delts aren’t that big at all. They look like what I would expect from someone doing back exercises for several years.

What I think we should all take away from that picture is that that dude has monster legs.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
What I think we should all take away from that picture is that that dude has monster legs.[/quote]

haha true that