T Nation

Weightlifting Makes you Better at...Everything?

It seems like ever since I started taking training seriously, I’ve gotten better at a lot of physical stuff. Yes, I can lift heavier things.

Yes, I’ve gotten more athletic. In addition to that, I’ve gotten better at finer motor skills. I’ve gotten better at pool, shooting a basketball, and throwing darts without even practicing. Any thoughts?

I was thinking that I have better body control over all of my muscles, but honestly I have no idea why this happened; not that I’m complaining. Anyone else experience this and have any thoughts on why it happened?

Who would have known that training and exersise is good for physical activities ?

UNHEARD OF !!!

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Who would have known that training and exersise is good for physical activities ?

UNHEARD OF !!![/quote]

lol, seriously.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:
It seems like ever since I started taking training seriously, I’ve gotten better at a lot of physical stuff. Yes, I can lift heavier things.

Yes, I’ve gotten more athletic. In addition to that, I’ve gotten better at finer motor skills. I’ve gotten better at pool, shooting a basketball, and throwing darts without even practicing. Any thoughts?

I was thinking that I have better body control over all of my muscles, but honestly I have no idea why this happened; not that I’m complaining. Anyone else experience this and have any thoughts on why it happened?[/quote]

You’ve gotten better at using our nervous system.

Come on. You guys know what I mean. I wouldn’t equate lifting heavy weights with getting better at finer motor skills when you’re not working on those skills.

My balance has improved out of sight since I’ve been lifting. My rugby has improved alot too but that I just put down to size strength and fitness gains.

I know what you’re saying. I went to a batting cage with my buddy that had an electronic pitching machine. You could control the speed from 68mph to 102mph, and place it wherever you wanted it.

I never played little league growing up, had no real interest in baseball and have swung a bat less than 20 times my whole life. I hit 6 out of 15 at 102mph. My buddy and the guy behind the counter didn’t believe that I didn’t play seriously my whole life.

Aside from basketball and boxing when I was a little guy, I attribute my performance to the weightroom.

No.

Thats the answer to the question.

I’m a much better root than I used to be, it’s awesome. I don’t think I’m any better at math, though.

[quote]DragnCarry wrote:
I’m a much better root than I used to be, it’s awesome. I don’t think I’m any better at math, though.[/quote]

false, I can add up how much a bar is almost instantly just looking at it now-as well as calculate how much I need for a certain weight very quickly-. Also my kg to lbs conversion is much better.

[quote]Desideratus15 wrote:
DjSm28 wrote:
It seems like ever since I started taking training seriously, I’ve gotten better at a lot of physical stuff. Yes, I can lift heavier things.

Yes, I’ve gotten more athletic. In addition to that, I’ve gotten better at finer motor skills. I’ve gotten better at pool, shooting a basketball, and throwing darts without even practicing. Any thoughts?

I was thinking that I have better body control over all of my muscles, but honestly I have no idea why this happened; not that I’m complaining. Anyone else experience this and have any thoughts on why it happened?

You’ve gotten better at using our nervous system.[/quote]

You guys share a nervous system? That must suck. Do you do like a monday, wednesday, friday, sunday deal and one of you get it every second sunday?? That must be rough on your little CNS. Every experience any over training as a result?? :stuck_out_tongue:

Annnnnnyway, I do think I’ve gained better control over my body as a result of weight training. I personally think I can learn complicated movements such as a golf swing, or soccer tricks easier because I can break the movement down and KNOW how my body should feel, and what it shoud be doing during it.

[quote]shizen wrote:
DragnCarry wrote:
I’m a much better root than I used to be, it’s awesome. I don’t think I’m any better at math, though.

false, I can add up how much a bar is almost instantly just looking at it now-as well as calculate how much I need for a certain weight very quickly-. Also my kg to lbs conversion is much better. [/quote]

lol me too.

lol shizen ppl ask me how much they just lifted at school cuz im constantly calculating weights/plates

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I personally think I can learn complicated movements such as a golf swing, or soccer tricks easier[/quote]

Powerlifters should never play golf unless they are schmoozing with sponsors or potential sponsors.

[quote]shizen wrote:
false, I can add up how much a bar is almost instantly just looking at it now-as well as calculate how much I need for a certain weight very quickly-. Also my kg to lbs conversion is much better. [/quote]

I was much better at that before I started lifting. I’m not blaming the weights for slowing down my math though, it’s almost certainly the creatine. Any purported cognitive function benefits of creatine must be on the artistic side.