Weightlifting for Boxing

OK guys, here’s the thing.
I box 3x a week, and I lift weights on weekends (on sat and on sun), as this is an only option.

Of which exercises would you say, would I benefit the most?

Curently I do a lot of neck work (shrugs, bridges), rock throws (fuck it, I don’t have a medicine ball), back work (rows, db snatches), shoulders, and oblique work. And after boxing sessions abs (no weights).

I was thinking of adding back squats, but doing them for 3 minutes, a few rounds (lower weight, but as much reps as possible in 3 min.)Just in terms of leg endurance.

do you have any other suggestions?
thanks

What you have to realize is that your punching power is generated mostly from your hips.

Most boxers I see training understand that in theory , but still train like a typical bodybuilder. chest, arms, dips, abs etc. BUt keep their legs like a chicken.

If you want to help your boxing, i would say in this order.
POWERCLEAN If DONE RIGHT.
DEADLIFT
SQUAT
PUSH PRESS.

In your situation I would do chest and back on SAT. Maybe superset to get your work capacity up.
and Do Powercleans and deadlifts on SUN. But use heavier weights which wont hypertrophy you as much, like 54321.

THat is of course your gonna keep to your current schedule, otherwise I would defenitely design it differently.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
What you have to realize is that your punching power is generated mostly from your hips.

Most boxers I see training understand that in theory , but still train like a typical bodybuilder. chest, arms, dips, abs etc. BUt keep their legs like a chicken.

DEADLIFT
SQUAT
PUSH PRESS.

In your situation I would do chest and back on SAT. Maybe superset to get your work capacity up.
and Do Powercleans and deadlifts on SUN. But use heavier weights which wont hypertrophy you as much, like 54321.

THat is of course your gonna keep to your current schedule, otherwise I would defenitely design it differently.[/quote]

This is excellent advice!

[quote]Hrastnik wrote:
I box 3x a week, and I lift weights on weekends (on sat and on sun), as this is an only option.

Curently I do a lot of neck work (shrugs, bridges), rock throws (fuck it, I don’t have a medicine ball), back work (rows, db snatches), shoulders, and oblique work. And after boxing sessions abs (no weights).

I was thinking of adding back squats, but doing them for 3 minutes, a few rounds (lower weight, but as much reps as possible in 3 min.)Just in terms of leg endurance.

thanks

[/quote]

My fav. weightlift for striking is the alternate dumbell press laying a swiss ball.

Sounds like you know what you’re doing.

Developing maximal strength is important, but I wouldn’t do a ton of lifting… skill work is enough of a killer for you, I’m sure. Deadlifts and squats, and plenty of core work.

I think that the fact that you lift at all puts you at an advantage, being as a lot of trainers still aren’t fond of weightlifting.

[quote]Hrastnik wrote:

thanks[/quote]

You’ve got a good idea of what you want to do.

I’d suggest 1 day of upper body work and 1 day of lower body.

I don’t think squatting for 3 min. is going to help much in terms of leg endurance. I would focus on lifting as much weight as possible, since you’ll want to keep your strength up as you’ll only be lifting for legs once a week.

Do you compete or do you just train boxing for fun? Do you do any conditioning work aside from actual boxing?

Lots of close grip presses.

DEADLIFT
SQUAT
PUSH PRESS.

THat is of course your gonna keep to your current schedule, otherwise I would defenitely design it differently.[/quote]

Good advice. Just concentrate on big movements. Do you do any medicine ball throws in your boxing training? Seems like a great way to tax the rotation through the hips/trunk.

DEADLIFT
SQUAT
PUSH PRESS.

I think that is great advice even though I don’t know anything about training for boxing.

If you only have 2 days to lift I’d do exercises that you get the most bang for your buck like other people said.

Checkout rosstraining.com lots of good info for boxers

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Do you compete or do you just train boxing for fun? Do you do any conditioning work aside from actual boxing?[/quote]

Currently I’m not competing (I’ve just started boxing) and as far as conditioning goes I just use boxing lessons for that.

With time I’m going to add a conditioning component to my training, but I feel, that this is not necessary at this moment.

And thanks for the replies guys.

I’ve heard that boxing trainers recommend not doing shoulder lifts–or at least limiting them–because of the amount of work your shoulders already take on in boxing. Just something to keep in mind

[quote]Hrastnik wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
Do you compete or do you just train boxing for fun? Do you do any conditioning work aside from actual boxing?

Currently I’m not competing (I’ve just started boxing) and as far as conditioning goes I just use boxing lessons for that.

With time I’m going to add a conditioning component to my training, but I feel, that this is not necessary at this moment.

And thanks for the replies guys.

[/quote]

Ross Enamait has a ton of great information for boxers on

Great websites and he’s very accessible and friendly if you shoot him an email.

Just increase your overall strength, the fact that your playing your sport is your plyometric work. Punching the bag is your plyometrics so there’s usually no need for extra plyo work.

Increase your max strength in the bench lets say, and keep punching and you should probably get more powerful over time. Squats, Deads, lots of core work, bench, close grips and the like (definaetly work your neck also as you were saying), you should be well off.

I wouldn’t reccomend the squat thing also you said, It’d be much better to just probably use 80%+ of your squat and just train in that area for the stregnthing of your legs, you will get your main conditioning from the bag work and boxing itself! Also like I said before, I wouldn’t do plyo’s…if you increase your strength, and hit the bag…because that is your plyo work, should work.