T Nation

Weightlifting During Footy Season

I have just recently started training for Australian Rules Football, after having about 5 years off. During that last year and half of not playing, I have managed to put on a reasonable amount of weight due to John Berardi’s Scrawny to Brawny and being a regular reader here on T-Nation.

Now that I’m playing footy again, I’m back into 40 - 90min training sessions every tues and thurs nights, and a game every saturday! I’m having trouble fitting my weight training and recovery time into all of this. I obviously realise I’m not going to gain any muscle mass or put on size during this period - my main goal is just to maintain what I already have.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to do this? I am thinking probably just sticking to the main compound lifts such as pull ups, bench press, rows, squats, and deadlifts, military press twice a week is best way to do it. Keeping to low reps i.e 5x5/6x4.

This will allow me 2 days recovery each week, which isn’t much but is probably the best I can get.

Anyway, I’m after advice on the best way to train in this situation? ie. would it better to do weights in the morning before a night training session, to maximise my day off/recovery?

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

You can google Westside for skinny bastards 3. Defranco lays out an in season template in that article that should be helpful.

Thanks Brushga, that seems to be just what I need. I’ll give that a try.