T Nation

Weightlifting and Injury Rehab Duration

Hi there, I joined a sports specific gym about 2 years ago in order to better myself as a basketball player and judoka. However over the years I have gained too many frequent injuries and don't want to put up with the hubris of other athletes. So my love of exercise naturally evolved into weight lifting and I truly do love it now more than anything else.

I made great gains (in my mind) at the gym I was at but it was time to move and now I am on my own and using a commercial gym sigh. I have been trying to educate myself as best as I can, going to the gym I was at taught me a lot as I really paid attention to what was going on. But now I am researching my butt off and I can now correlate what I was learning with what principles they were applying. The vast majority of their techniques revolved around principles of Louie Simmons and Charles Poliquin to certain situations (kinda polar opposites I know).

T Nation has been a fantastic resource and I am dying to try out some new things like Wave Ladders for example. But I really am desperate to learn more as I apply this knowledge. If anyone can provide me with solid resources for me to look at I would be very much grateful.

The topics I particularly want to have sources on (ebooks and dvds are great, the latter being my preference as I am a visual learner):

• Planning/structuring training sessions and programs (max 2 hours 5-6 days a week)
  • Advanced technique for powerlifting (all the intrinsic things that are easy to miss or tricky to master. I am so used to box squatting that I only just found about external rotation at the knees/hips for full squats)
  • Rehabilitating injuries, particularly shoulder, hips and knees
  • Getting the best out of limited resources (I would kill for a gym with a power rack)
  • Understanding training principles for overtraining, or just busting your ass as a person not on PED's (absolutely no judgement on people that do, I would just wait till I was closer to 40 before considering that path)
  • Principles of training for taller people (I am 6ft 6)
  • Stimulating nerve response/development (I have been seeing a chiropractor and that alone increased my max bench in 6 weeks by 40kg)

Don't get me wrong I am already googling these topics on YouTube, T Nation, Poliquin, Elliott Hulse etc etc etc. But any comprehensive sources, books, dvd's etc would be fantastic (I just started watching the Louie Simmons secrets to deadlifting/benching).

Blah blah blah, ramble ramble. Please help!

Stop reading and start doing. Pick a program for your goals and start, today. Same with a diet.

What’s wrong with a commercial gym? Being consistent is key.

For your injuries, see a professional.

I’m 6’3". I elevate my heels with 10lbs plate for front squat. I use a medium stance for back squat. I deadlift, well, I pick up the weight and get it up (Eric Cressey (spl?)). Bench, well, long story, rule of thumb, start with your arms at 45 degrees (not chicken wing, not powerlifter) and learn.

Advance technics?? Get the basics first. and stop majoring in the minors.

Overtraining? It takes weeks to get overtrained. Working out consistently 4-5 days a week and having a diet to support that lifestyle, well, it should be the last thing on your mind.

TNation IS a solid resources for you.

Stop reading and start doing.

[quote]JFG wrote:
Stop reading and start doing. Pick a program for your goals and start, today. Same with a diet.

What’s wrong with a commercial gym? Being consistent is key.

For your injuries, see a professional.

I’m 6’3". I elevate my heels with 10lbs plate for front squat. I use a medium stance for back squat. I deadlift, well, I pick up the weight and get it up (Eric Cressey (spl?)). Bench, well, long story, rule of thumb, start with your arms at 45 degrees (not chicken wing, not powerlifter) and learn.

Advance technics?? Get the basics first. and stop majoring in the minors.

Overtraining? It takes weeks to get overtrained. Working out consistently 4-5 days a week and having a diet to support that lifestyle, well, it should be the last thing on your mind.

TNation IS a solid resources for you.

Stop reading and start doing. [/quote]

I appreciate the honesty and I understand your approach to my questions. I imagine a lot of noobs ask questions like these but I need to exercise my brain proportionately to what I do in the gym. It is the way my mind works and it fosters both discipline, structure and creativity for myself, that and gains obviously.

As for what is wrong with commercial gyms? Regarding mine (DW Fitness):

• The weight plates are covered in plastic so an example of doing just positives on max deadlifts is a no go.
  • Chalk is a no no
  • Resistance bands are non existent and essential for someone who is a big fan of Louie Simmons type training (and financially not available for me to buy my own atm)
  • No power racks
  • Cheap dumbbells that can’t be dropped when you are trying to save your rotator cuffs on heavy sets

I could go on and on.

As for technique, mine is pretty fantastic if I am being objective but it’s the little things that we are ignorant of that can stave off either injury, make something seem that more effortless to add on those extra few kilos. As for what you call the “majors” I am guessing that you are saying that I should emphasise the bench, squat, deadlift and overhead press in my workouts, I am a huge fan of doing this already.

Regarding over training, I don’t see it as a problem. I view it as wanting to understand it better as a short term training tool.

Not being defensive, I train 5-6 times a week and experiment with my routines every six weeks. Should I spend a lifetime exclusively experimenting when I can learn from the wisdom of others to cut down or at least enhance my learning curve?

As for why would I want to look at a whole book or instructional dvd all at once? The reason being that books and dvd’s have a design and structure about them which has often lead me to learning things I wouldn’t necessarily google about or perhaps stumble upon. Although I do stumble upon many good things. But an entire source certainly gives a more holistic understanding towards a trainer’s philosophy and application.

I totally get that I must easily sound like a totally over keen noob getting way over his head. But that isn’t really the case, I am just being a little modest and want some good literature. That and I have had too many injuries from playing sport to not want optimum performance and longevity for myself.

I really hope that I am not coming across as being completely defensive, I just wanted to address your points honestly.

[quote]darkvoid86 wrote:

The topics I particularly want to have sources on (ebooks and dvds are great, the latter being my preference as I am a visual learner):

You could just got through the CSCS training. Otherwise, pick a program that interests you and work within its parameters. Practical Programming (book) may help.

Post a vid and get a form check in the PL forum

The Cressey guys do a lot of mobility stuff (Somersaut, etc) and have articles on here. Otherwise, get a PT.

Sites out there exist with info on building your own equipment. I made my own foam roller and other folks on here have posted pics of stuff they’ve built.

You shouldn’t have to worry about this on any standardized program… especially since you like to say you like to program jump.

Lee Boyce has some articles.

[quote]- Stimulating nerve response/development (I have been seeing a chiropractor and that alone increased my max bench in 6 weeks by 40kg)
[/quote]
Depends where… maybe Neanderthal No More? mobility cure? Agile 8?

There’s also a thread in the BSD forum right now on must read books

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

[quote]darkvoid86 wrote:

You could just got through the CSCS training. Otherwise, pick a program that interests you and work within its parameters. Practical Programming (book) may help.

Post a vid and get a form check in the PL forum

The Cressey guys do a lot of mobility stuff (Somersaut, etc) and have articles on here. Otherwise, get a PT.

Sites out there exist with info on building your own equipment. I made my own foam roller and other folks on here have posted pics of stuff they’ve built.

You shouldn’t have to worry about this on any standardized program… especially since you like to say you like to program jump.

Lee Boyce has some articles.

[quote]- Stimulating nerve response/development (I have been seeing a chiropractor and that alone increased my max bench in 6 weeks by 40kg)
[/quote]
Depends where… maybe Neanderthal No More? mobility cure? Agile 8?

There’s also a thread in the BSD forum right now on must read books[/quote]

That’s a badass set of responses, thank you very much. I’m definitely looking forward to checking that all out!