T Nation

Weighted Vests-What's Really Good?

can anyone recommend a good 25-50 lb weighted vest, preferably for less than $100?

thanks

Why?

trying to get more out of my 3-5 daily miles of dog walking.

jumpusa.com

I like the site. Have different weighted options.

Basic model is the $100.00 going to cost more. Otherwise maybe check out ebay or something.

Weighted vests are a rip off; use a backpack.

I’ve done the backpack before, but some people prefer the vests for an even distribution of weight.

If someone is running in sprints/etc their not looking to be ‘weighted’ funny because the backpack pulls to the back or doesn’t hug tight (even cinched down).

With a weight belt or vest it sits alot better and has alot less sway in it compared to a backpack.

So while a backpack = cheaper and easier, a vest = better in alot of different exercises.

great…but he wrote walking

Even walked 3-5 miles with a 20lbs backpack on? Your back feels god awful afterwards. If you have the money buy the vest, if I had the money id own one myself.

Spend the extra 50 and get the xvest 40lb weight vest!!! Ive tried others, but this one is the most comfortable and its quality for the price you pay.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:
Spend the extra 50 and get the xvest 40lb weight vest!!! Ive tried others, but this one is the most comfortable and its quality for the price you pay. [/quote]

He’d be spending over 200 bucks.
I’ve looked around. I wish they would just make one and sell it in the store. These shipping fees always kill me :frowning:

I second the Xvest if you can swing it. It’s comfortable and well-made, and you can add and subtract weight quickly and easily. I use mine all the time.

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Even walked 3-5 miles with a 20lbs backpack on? Your back feels god awful afterwards. If you have the money buy the vest, if I had the money id own one myself. [/quote]

Agreed. I have a 40 pound x vest and it’s great for walking. Backpacks are made to haul stuff, not just be weight for lifting.

i’m gonna go for the 40 lb xvest. found it online for $188 w/ free shipping. will post with my thoughts when it arrives. thanks to all who replied.

And if you don’t like it I’ll gladly offer you 5$ for it with free shipping!

Good luck though, I think you’ll enjoy it.

You can get the 40lb Xvest from Coach John Davies usually on sale for $150 shipped several times a year. Otherwise, the normal price is typically $169 shipped.

http://www.renegadetraining.com

I bought mine a while back and really like it.

I bought mine for around 150 shipped from ebay. Either way, you get what you pay for!!

It’s time for a weight vest and I’ve narrowed my options down. My first choice (provided I can answer this question) is an X-Vest.

I’m 5’7, 167 pounds. Chest is 41, waist when I measure is 34. BUT, I usually take size 30 jeans; I have a very loose waistband with a 32.

So what measurement do I go by? Some clothing manufacturers use vanity sizing… and everything varies. Do I get a small or a medium x-vest (I do hope to lose 2 inches or so over the next 6 months and hope the vest will help).

Anyone who has one, what’s your fitting experience?

Vance

get medium. they tighten up easy but dont get bigger.

also with medium you can wear it over a hoodie or other clothes. Also the bungee/velcro is over-lapable big time so the medium is key.

-chris