T Nation

Weighted Vest Bad for Knees?

Thsi is not a question to know whether they are any good or not but, to ask if they are bad for your knees. I have used one a couple of times but just to do coupleof pull-ups. At the moment I am deciding whether to get a 100lb vest but don’t know if it will damage my knees. Any bad experiences?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Thsi is not a question to know whether they are any good or not but, to ask if they are bad for your knees. I have used one a couple of times but just to do coupleof pull-ups. At the moment I am deciding whether to get a 100lb vest but don’t know if it will damage my knees. Any bad experiences?[/quote]

i can’t see how it would be any worse than squatting 100lbs. just stay stable when you walk

[quote]PlayoffsOrBust wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Thsi is not a question to know whether they are any good or not but, to ask if they are bad for your knees. I have used one a couple of times but just to do coupleof pull-ups. At the moment I am deciding whether to get a 100lb vest but don’t know if it will damage my knees. Any bad experiences?

i can’t see how it would be any worse than squatting 100lbs. just stay stable when you walk[/quote]

True but, I am talking about using it for walks/hikes as well.

hmm, i could see the risks then. think of it ass being 100lbs heavier. i would imagine being that heavy your knees would start to bother you if you hiked on them

PlayoffsOrBust wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:

i can’t see how it would be any worse than squatting 100lbs. just stay stable when you walk

True but, I am talking about using it for walks/hikes as well.[/quote]

I’ve used a 40 lb x-vest for my walks and hikes for about four years now and I haven’t noticed any issues with my knees (or ankles), so my own experience is that it hasn’t caused any damage.

However, if I wear the vest for an extended period, it really digs into my shoulders.

Thsi is not a question to know whether they are any good or not but, to ask if they are bad for your knees. I have used one a couple of times but just to do coupleof pull-ups. At the moment I am deciding whether to get a 100lb vest but don’t know if it will damage my knees. Any bad experiences?[/quote]

Depends on what your using it for and what not. If you want to wear it and walk around all day with it I would say most likely that sudden weight gain with hurt a lot of things, if your using it to do a little work out and your knees are in good condition then you most likely will be fine. It all depends you need to go a little deeper in the question.

I use a 40 pound weight vest for sprints up hills. I have a history of bad knees, but running UP a hill seemed to cause no damage/pain, probably due to the inclined angle. I have to walk down the hill because if I jogged/ran, that would wreck my knees for the next couple days (along with the obvious long-term damage.)

Obviously using a vest everyday, for hiking/walking would put some wear and tear on your knees but other than that you should be fine.

Ok, first off you do not start with 40 or a 100 lbs walking, you start with 10% of your bodyweight and go from there. Progresss GRADUALLY so that your joints and ligaments have the time to adapt and not get overloaded to the point of pain.

Just make sure if your conditioning with the vests that you don’t use so much weight that it starts to interfere with your natural movement patterns.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:

Just make sure if your conditioning with the vests that you don’t use so much weight that it starts to interfere with your natural movement patterns. [/quote]

great point, using to much weight and you risk injury, move up gradually and you should be fine

40lbs does’nt seem like much but it is

I think the best for you is to do it and see if it hurts…100 lb sounds like a very heavy load to me ( for its purpose).

But don ’ t forget to take care of everything, not only your knees, cuz if that weight creates bad body positionning, or bad movement forms, it could be dangerous for the long term…

What are your goals with that kind of workout ?

[quote]All2ez wrote:
gainera2582 wrote:

Just make sure if your conditioning with the vests that you don’t use so much weight that it starts to interfere with your natural movement patterns.

great point, using to much weight and you risk injury, move up gradually and you should be fine

40lbs does’nt seem like much but it is[/quote]

That’s a good point. When I first got my 40lb x-vest, I started out with only 10lbs in it. I gradually added a 1-2lbs a week until I reached the full 40.

If you’re smart about it, then you shouldn’t have any issues.

I would not do any long distance running or jumping with weighted vest thats for sure.

Short sprints, pull ups, dips, other bodyweight exercises would be good with it though.

100lbs is a LOT. I’d say you have to be very careful what you do with 100lbs on your back. I certainly wouldn’t run with it and I wouldn’t wear it through your whole day. If you want to do so, work up to it gradually.

The 10/20% rule’s a very good one. No more than 10% of your body weight, increasing to 20% if your joints get conditioned to it. You have to accept that there may be some “design limitations” of your knees.

Low impact stuff is fine with heavy weight vests. After all, firemen walk around with lots of weight on their backs. If you’re going hillwalking you can pile the weight on, but again, work up to it so you don’t overstress your joints.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:
Ok, first off you do not start with 40 or a 100 lbs walking, you start with 10% of your bodyweight and go from there. Progresss GRADUALLY so that your joints and ligaments have the time to adapt and not get overloaded to the point of pain.

Just make sure if your conditioning with the vests that you don’t use so much weight that it starts to interfere with your natural movement patterns. [/quote]

Natural movement pattern? You aren’t going to move like an unencumbered person with 100lbs on your back. Not going to happen. If all we are talking about is walking or hiking with weight, there is no natural movement pattern that has to be preserved. He will move, naturally, like a guy carrying an extra 100lbs. This concern obviously changes if we are running with resistance, since that running form has to be maintained or else you start training for something other than your event. But in this case, it sounds like the guy just wants to add in some GPP and no matter how the weight changes the movement pattern it doesn’t matter to his performance standard, as there is none.

Second of all, who made this all encompassing rule about not adding more than 10% bodyweight blah blah blah? Obviously NOT a competitive strongman, which (last time I checked) is the only sport where you are going to be mobile with large amounts of weight (farmers, frame, yoke, Husafell stone, kegs, etc). The first time guys show up at training we have them join in the group, not begin some geriatric “If you have never exercised before, consult your doctor” stuff. 10% would be like not being able to carry a toddler around. I’m not for jumping headlong into something dangerous, but let’s at least be reasonable about where a good starting point is. I’m guessing 100lbs is going to be less than his bodyweight, and I think it is a pretty reasonable starting point. Some people have bad knees, and I’m certain that he is aware of any pre-existing condition to that effect. But being a person that would even consider this a “good time” my guess is that he is healthy enough, or will soon be after dragging that weight around a while.