T Nation

Weighted Pushups

I think I’m going to start doing more of these.

The psuhup has a lot going for it. It’s an upperbody, push exercise that works the chest, shoulders, tris and core like nothing else that comes to mind.

Add in the fact that they’re a closed kinetic chain move and gentler on the shoulders than dips or benching and you have a winner.

I plan to use a mix of a weighted pack and resistance bands to increase the load as needed.

Anyone else have some thoughts, experiences, or results they’d like to share regarding these?

monkeyarms;

I do weighted pushups with various weight loads on my back, and various foot positions. My favorite is doing them with my feet raised about 24 inchesoff the ground. There is no stress on my shoulders doing this exercise. This week I will be changing up my set/rep parmeters and doing 10 x 3 working up to 10 x 6 before increasing the weight.

Brian

Brian,

I was wondering how you went about adding the extra weight on your back for your pushups.


I’ve found that pushups on ‘rings’ have given my entire body solid strength gains.
I’m too cheap to afford real gymnastic rings so I made my own out of metal pipe I had lying around plus some chain and carabiners I bought for under ten dollars (AUD).

(The masking tape is to stop metal splinters.)
For me it’s a cheap alternative to getting expensive equipment - not to mention they’re pretty versatile and adjustable… dips, flys, chins, muscle-ups etc. I hang mine off a rafter under the house. The length of pipe I cut the two handles off is still long enough to make a nice suspended chinning bar if I want to mix it up.
Hope this helps.

orion759 ;

I started with no weight at all. When I got to 20 pushups, I added a 10 lb plate and did sets of 10. Once I could get around 15 or so, I would add another 10 lb plate. When I was using 30 lbs, it was getting much harder to increase the reps, so I only did around 6-8 reps. Same with 40 lbs. I also was doing them twice a week, Mondays and Fridays. When I got to 50, it was really hard to do alot of reps, so I ended up doing 5/4/3/2/1. Now I want to try 10x3 with a minutes rest between sets. Hope this helps.

Brian

Another good alternative is to take a Jumpstretch or Iron Woody band and wrap it around your back.

[quote]orion759 wrote:
Brian,

I was wondering how you went about adding the extra weight on your back for your pushups. [/quote]

Backpack+plates, works great.

If I need weight for my push-ups, I just get my wife and/or my daughter to straddle my back while doing them> But I’m one of those quirky individuals in that added weight on my pushups don’t really help me. I find that my own BW with high reps work me better here.

[quote]monkeyarms wrote:
I think I’m going to start doing more of these.

The psuhup has a lot going for it. It’s an upperbody, push exercise that works the chest, shoulders, tris and core like nothing else that comes to mind.

Add in the fact that they’re a closed kinetic chain move and gentler on the shoulders than dips or benching and you have a winner.

I plan to use a mix of a weighted pack and resistance bands to increase the load as needed.

Anyone else have some thoughts, experiences, or results they’d like to share regarding these?[/quote]

Something else of note is that your scapulae aren’t pinned down to the bench. Helps prevent shoulder dysfunction. Fantastic exercise, especially when done with hands on boxes to increase the ROM.

Dips should be fine, too, though, if your flexibility is in order. If they cause pain, there’s a problem there that needs to be fixed. Weakness, inflexibility, imbalance, what have you.

-Dan

when I’d be pressed for time and hammered with school work, I’d throw textbooks into a backpack and do some pushups and chins to at least keep myself from being completely sedentary

my record was 40 pushups loaded with a a psychology, weather, thermodynamics/heattransfer, aerodynamics, structures, materials, and 2 aircraft design books. at this point the backpack was overfull and wouldn’t zip… plates are probably a better way to go!

I’ve always used girlfriends. My best is 4 reps with a 135lbs female lieing on my back.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I’ve always used girlfriends. My best is 4 reps with a 135lbs female lieing on my back.[/quote]

That way sounds best! Unfortunately, I always end up using an X-Vest. It works but less fun.

There’s some good stuff here; thanks to everyone who posted so far.

The point that the scapulae aren’t pinned down as they are when benching is a good point; one more plus for pushups.

I like the idea of an x-vest, but it seems awful pricey for what you get. Is it really that great?

And I wonder which subject of text books is the best value per pound. Maybe something to consider when choosing a major. lol

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
I’ve found that pushups on ‘rings’ have given my entire body solid strength gains.
I’m too cheap to afford real gymnastic rings so I made my own out of metal pipe I had lying around plus some chain and carabiners I bought for under ten dollars (AUD).

(The masking tape is to stop metal splinters.)
For me it’s a cheap alternative to getting expensive equipment - not to mention they’re pretty versatile and adjustable… dips, flys, chins, muscle-ups etc. I hang mine off a rafter under the house. The length of pipe I cut the two handles off is still long enough to make a nice suspended chinning bar if I want to mix it up.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

Good idea. If your girlfriend won’t straddle your back at the gym, get your training partner to through some plates on it.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
I’ve always used girlfriends. My best is 4 reps with a 135lbs female lieing on my back.

That way sounds best! Unfortunately, I always end up using an X-Vest. It works but less fun.
[/quote]

haha. Too bad an x-vest doesnt wanna bang you when it figures out you can do pushups with it on your back. My girl always thought it was awesome…


Blast straps are a great investment, but I’m cheap so I’d go with the make your own idea :stuck_out_tongue: (carabiners and chains baby)

um, there are various ways to do weighted pushups most have been talked about already… only one i don’t think anyone mentioned isThe picture above looks like a nifty way:

( http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=633870 )

On what bikemike wrote:

Yea you know, my wife, my girlfriend, and my training partner (female).

Ahhhh that’d be the life.

I use a couple of old nylon tie downs for my repetition upper body day.

I haven’t added any weight yet but they are a great active recovery exercise.

Pushups always gave my chest a great pump and fullness not mimmicked by any other exercise. Can you build a good sized chest though?

[quote]Gregus wrote:
Pushups always gave my chest a great pump and fullness not mimmicked by any other exercise. Can you build a good sized chest though?[/quote]

As long as the load is adequate, I don’t see why not.