Weighted Pullups

[quote]y0lked wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
Most people here could care less about looking like the everyday person in the gym. Volume and intensity is one thing, but saying that a pro bodybuilders exercise selection should not be emulated because of their steroid use is just a stupid argument. It’s like saying someone shouldn’t emulate berry bonds, manny ramirez, or a-rod’s swing mechanics because they used steroids. [/quote]

Aiming to look like eveyone else in the gym, and being average are two different things. Im not a big guy. Im tall lean and am not aiming to be "gigantic’ like most of you. I also dont bench like a power lifter. Does that mean im not a good bencher? Does that mean im doing it wrong? No its just different. Im not 300lbs or have the body to utilize a powerlifting form.

Why the hate from everyone? I know im not big, nor am i that strong. But i didnt start this thread to argue with thoes of you who are. If u like pull-downs thats fine. If you think i should eat at a buffet every day and gain 20 lbs thats fine. But stick to the topic. This isnt the pulldowns vs pullups thrad. [/quote]

Since when is a good natured discussion/argument, whatever you want to call it, considered “hate from everyone?” That is annoying.

[quote]
As far as rep ranges go… which would be better for overall back development? Sets of 3-6 weighted, or sets of 8-12 non weighted? [/quote]

3-5 sets of 8-12 reps… of pulldowns.

[quote]y0lked wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
Most people here could care less about looking like the everyday person in the gym. Volume and intensity is one thing, but saying that a pro bodybuilders exercise selection should not be emulated because of their steroid use is just a stupid argument. It’s like saying someone shouldn’t emulate berry bonds, manny ramirez, or a-rod’s swing mechanics because they used steroids. [/quote]

Aiming to look like eveyone else in the gym, and being average are two different things. Im not a big guy. Im tall lean and am not aiming to be "gigantic’ like most of you. I also dont bench like a power lifter. Does that mean im not a good bencher? Does that mean im doing it wrong? No its just different. Im not 300lbs or have the body to utilize a powerlifting form.

Why the hate from everyone? I know im not big, nor am i that strong. But i didnt start this thread to argue with thoes of you who are. If u like pull-downs thats fine. If you think i should eat at a buffet every day and gain 20 lbs thats fine. But stick to the topic. This isnt the pulldowns vs pullups thrad.

As far as rep ranges go… which would be better for overall back development? Sets of 3-6 weighted, or sets of 8-12 non weighted? [/quote]

i dunno how to answer this but say…

since you have the ability to do both, do both. Seems like you’re looking for a right or wrong answer or one that supports your thinking. It may seem like an ‘on the fence’ answer but why would you limit yourself to one strategy. Sounds like you think if you do one for a month and not the other, you’ll regress or something. The majority of bb’ing for stretches of time, is trial and error to what combinations of movements/weight/principles stimulates your personal growth. Anyone can give you a map, but eventually you’ll have to drive…

ok so this threads been pretty hilarious with everyone arguing over pulldowns and pullups lol. but yeah i think the problem might be that you need to better define what you mean by “overall back development”. do you mean strength, endurance, power, mass, or all of the above? do you only care about working on your back muscles? because pullups defineitely work your grip and arms too which might slow you down if your forearms and biceps are much weaker than your lats, traps etc. weighted will work youre grip a lot and your abs and obliques while strengthening youre back. they might even help improve youre bodyweight pullups by making them feel easier. If you can already do more than 6 or 7 bodyweight pullups for multiple sets i doubt theyll help with strength although theyll work youre endurance more and might be better for hypertrophy. so decide what you want specifically and then youre decision will be a lot easier.

[quote]GreatAjax wrote:
ok so this threads been pretty hilarious with everyone arguing over pulldowns and pullups lol. but yeah i think the problem might be that you need to better define what you mean by “overall back development”. do you mean strength, endurance, power, mass, or all of the above? [/quote]

^^^^^^^ this is gold, probably overlooked by everyone else including me.

whatever you decide on, just make sure your lats do the work. you are looking for back development after all.

[quote]y0lked wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

Why the hate from everyone? I know im not big, nor am i that strong. But i didnt start this thread to argue with thoes of you who are. If u like pull-downs thats fine. If you think i should eat at a buffet every day and gain 20 lbs thats fine. But stick to the topic. This isnt the pulldowns vs pullups thrad.

Do both. Increase your strength in both rep ranges. Over time, get strong enough to lift 45lb+ for 8-12 reps.

Btw for pulldowns I highly recommend using a straight bar instead of the traditional bent one, if your gym has it. I think you get a much better mind muscle connection that way.

I do both. DE pullup day is BW for high reps and then when I fatigue I use bands. ME pullup day is weighted aiming for 3x6 3x4 3x3 3x2. Also play around with your grip. If you have to monkey swing out to a wide grip it will make a 45 lb plate around your waist feel a lot heavier. When I get done with pullups I go over to the Lat Row because it doesn’t go high enough if I dont fatigue out with pullups first. Then DB rows, cable rows, weighted pullup shrugs, curls.

Hmm, when i first started training seriously and read the Arnold BodyBuilding Encyclopedia he says that pulldowns should never replace pullups/chins as the staple exercise so I have always gone with that. I think both should be uitised though, pullups are a must and then go on to the pulldown and use a variation.

[quote]reyno88 wrote:
Hmm, when i first started training seriously and read the Arnold BodyBuilding Encyclopedia he says that pulldowns should never replace pullups/chins as the staple exercise so I have always gone with that. I think both should be uitised though, pullups are a must and then go on to the pulldown and use a variation.[/quote]

Mine is the same story. If you don’t have the strength to do several sets of pullups for 6-12 reps, then do pulldowns instead, but I personally feel that pullups are superior. Just my opinion.

As far as whether doing them weighted or unweighted is better? That is kind of a stupid question. Pullups aren’t some magical exception to every other exercise. Once you can do 12-15 reps unweighted (CORRECTLY<–this is the big key most people are missing), then start adding weight just like any other exercise.

I used the Hammer Strength pulldown for a good 6 months trying to develop my back. I achieved some more thickness, but my width still suffered.

After focusing on developing weighted chin strength, I’m now noticing huge stretch marks around my lats.

I did this as my back workout on friday…

Weighted pullups:
BW x 8
BW + 25lbs x 7
BW + 25lbs x 6
BW + 25lbs x 5
BW x 8
BW x 8

Lat pulldown:
3 sets of 10

then obv some rows. My goal is to get stronger and bulk weight wise. I figured heavy reps and a few hypertrophy sets would be good… what do u guys think? Btw i have good MMC and form on pullups… maybe a little less for the weighted but still focus on the lats

[quote]y0lked wrote:
I did this as my back workout on friday…

Weighted pullups:
BW x 8
BW + 25lbs x 7
BW + 25lbs x 6
BW + 25lbs x 5
BW x 8
BW x 8

Lat pulldown:
3 sets of 10

then obv some rows. My goal is to get stronger and bulk weight wise. I figured heavy reps and a few hypertrophy sets would be good… what do u guys think? Btw i have good MMC and form on pullups… maybe a little less for the weighted but still focus on the lats
[/quote]

nice sets, though you forgot to mention how you and your back felt, during and after? Compared to other times where you’ve done either just weighted/non weighted or a combination of both.

Personally, weighted pull ups have been far more beneficial than pull downs.

You can obviously cheat on both, but it’s far harder to cheat doing weighted pull ups. I see way to many people cheating on pull downs by leaning/swinging back hard. It’s much harder to swing around when your clinging to a bar and have 45+ pounds dangling from your waist.

Weighted pull ups also engage your core, which doesn’t happen as much when your seated.

Tonight i did weighted pullups and was able to do 27lbsx9, 33lbsx7,38.5lbsx6, 45lbsx5.
Then just did close grip lat pulldown 3x10,and then heavy 1x6.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]y0lked wrote:
First off, this is my first post but i have read soo many articles here and LOVE the info you guys provide.

I was wondering what would be better for overall back development as far as weighted/body weight pullups go.

Last time i did weighted i could hit BW + 25lbs for 3 sets of 4-6
but unweighted i can only get about 3 sets of 8-12

what would be better for overall back development?[/quote]PFFFFFFF

IMO pulldowns are better than pullups for overall back development. You can lean back slightly and get a better anlge on the lats, keep constant tension on the lats easier, and do more weight without having to strap plates to a weight belt. Much easier to get that squeeze on lat pulldowns than on pullups also.
[/quote]

I say weighted pullups. The reason is I would prefer to add weight to a movement instead of reps any day.

Stick to 4-6 range. When you get to 6 reps, add 5 lbs and now you will be back to the 4 range. Increase reps until you hit 6. Add and repeat.

My back felt pretty good after doing both styles of pullups and then the lat pulldown. I switched up my routine to a upper/lower split with high intensity and low volume.

Gonna hit 4 sets of weighted pullups on the first upper day of the week, and then 4 sets of non weighted on the other upper day.