T Nation

Weighted Pullup Routine?

Currently,I can do 1 rep of weighted pull up for 25kg.My goal is a single for 40kg.

Would you recommend incorporating singles into your weighted pull up routine?

Something on these lines

many sets of weighted chins(maybe 8-10 sets) of 1 rep at 2RM(for the strength)

followed by 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps on the pull down machine for the hypertrophy component.

My schedule is like this

Mon-weighted pullups,military presses,deadlifts

Wed-squats,inclines,rows

Fri-same as Mon.

What do you think?

I’ve done this in the past and have always been amazed at how quickly my strength improves and how much bigger my back gets.

give it a go

Go here: http://www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/abstracts/pullup-dip-training.html

Have fun

Will42

So singles really work ah?

The routine posted looks alot like what I’ve done in the past. Although I’m not too sure about explosive dips where your hands leave the bar, that sounds like a bad idea to me.

What worked best for me was to treat weighted pullups and chinups like any other exercise–which means lots of heavy triples, doubles, and singles when I’m focusing on strength gains. Doing that I went from a 1RM of somewhere around 25lbs for chins up to doing triples with 75lbs in a few months at most.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
Go here: http://www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/abstracts/pullup-dip-training.html

Have fun

Will42[/quote]

What is ME and DE training methods?

ME means max effort lift. That means you build up to a heavy 1-5 rep max. Less experienced lifters might want to stick to higher reps, but 1RM lifts are safer and Westside barbell gradually changed to doing 1RMs almost all the time.

DE means dynamic effort. Speed work basically. Usually 8 sets of 3 or 12 sets of 2 at 45-66%.

For more information, read Dave Tate’s article called the periodization bible part 1 and 2.

Here is the deal, If you can do at least 20 pull-ups/dips you can use a dynamic day. Also if you can make the load which your lifting (your body weight in this case) be 60% of your max then you can do a DE day. If you can do less than 5 chins use a reverse band set up, if you can do more than 5 use weighted chin work one day (ME) and do rep work on the next day (well 72 hours later). If you have any more questions, just ask the thinker over at elitefts.com

I stand on the shoulders of giants

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
Currently,I can do 1 rep of weighted pull up for 25kg.My goal is a single for 40kg.

Would you recommend incorporating singles into your weighted pull up routine?

Something on these lines

many sets of weighted chins(maybe 8-10 sets) of 1 rep at 2RM(for the strength)

followed by 4-5 sets of 10-12 reps on the pull down machine for the hypertrophy component.

My schedule is like this

Mon-weighted pullups,military presses,deadlifts

Wed-squats,inclines,rows

Fri-same as Mon.

What do you think?[/quote]

Wow,I just did 25kg for 3 reps and 30 kg for 1 rep after been only on this routine since the start of the month.

Before this,my max was 25kg x 1