Weighted Dips

As an athlete weight training for explosiveness: When you’re doing weighted dips should you be pausing at the bottom of the dip then exploding up? I don’t really bounce at the bottom of the lift, I don’t see how you could, but there isn’t a pause, only a change of direction.
Also, I know numbers don’t really count as a sport athlete, but my bench is pretty sad. I think my weakness is my anterior deltoids, as I am very strong at weighted dips but have problems at the bottom and the lower-middle part of my bench. Basically, when my elbows form a 90 degree angle the bar hits a wall.
Like I said, I know numbers don’t matter, but if this is a weak link in my body I need to address it.

[quote]Finalyear wrote:
As an athlete weight training for explosiveness: When you’re doing weighted dips should you be pausing at the bottom of the dip then exploding up? I don’t really bounce at the bottom of the lift, I don’t see how you could, but there isn’t a pause, only a change of direction.
Also, I know numbers don’t really count as a sport athlete, but my bench is pretty sad. I think my weakness is my anterior deltoids, as I am very strong at weighted dips but have problems at the bottom and the lower-middle part of my bench. Basically, when my elbows form a 90 degree angle the bar hits a wall.
Like I said, I know numbers don’t matter, but if this is a weak link in my body I need to address it. [/quote]

Pausing at the bottom can rock your shoulders. I would get the stretch and then drive out of it.

for the bottom to middle part of the bench work on paused bench and military presses.

When I’m doing heavy weight dips I use the same technique that I use when I am doing any other heavy movement. I work explosively! I may do the eccentric part of the movement a bit slower, but the concentric part is always done with great force and speed. I never pause when working with heavy weights.

[quote]Finalyear wrote:

Also, I know numbers don’t really count as a sport athlete, but my bench is pretty sad. [/quote]

Isn’t powerlifting a sport?

Thanks for the tips. Yes, powerlifting is a sport in my view, however, it is no longer my sport, so.

I distinctly remember reading an article from Poliquin about the important of lowering all the way when doing dips… just thought I’d contribute