Weighted Dips Technique

Weighted dips (DB bench press) have been the cornerstone for my chest workouts so far. While I knew this was theoretically not so good for the shoulders I didn’t buy it. Anyway when I last did them I suddenly felt a very sharp pain high in my armpit. After going light & doing some rehab work on shoulders I believe I am good to go again.

However I was wondering if you’re supposed to retract and depress shoulder blades on dips like you would do on the bench press & push ups?
Also I know that body inclination has an influence on triceps vs pecs recruitment. However, which ones is better from an injury prevention point of view?

Thanks for any insight.

anyone?

Retract shoulder blades, I strained my shoulders doing dips with rounded shoulders.

try to keep everything tight and know your limits both with weight and ROM. Honestly, on this type of exercises go more for the contraction and squeeze than on trying to go crazy with weights. Is it hurting right now when you do the movement?

retracting the shoulder blades with deliberate external roatation of the shoulders helps me feel far more solid when dipping.

[quote]putter2712 wrote:
retracting the shoulder blades with deliberate external roatation of the shoulders helps me feel far more solid when dipping.[/quote]

You should try ring with thumbs turned out on Rings. Pretty hard.