Weighted Dips, Popular?

[quote]bignate wrote:
Started doing dips again after i was limited with pressing movements due to my shoulder, and they actually feel good on my shoudler so im keeping them, im at 250-260 bw right now and have gotten to three sets of 10, plan on addding weight next week, well see how it goes[/quote]

Good thing working up some technique and strength before you add weight, just start with 10-20 lbs and work your way up as you gain strength. Good luck!

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
I lift with some of the strongest guys in the world and I’ve never seen them doing dips. That’s not to say that it’s a bad exercise but I think there are exercises that have more carryover to the bench press and are less stressfull on the shoulder. I used to do weighted dips but I got to a point where my shoulders couldn’t take it anymore.

I haven’t done them since and my bench has improved considerably. Those dips you were doing were impressive but we don’t compete in dips we compete in the squat, bench, and deadlift. For my time I go with bands, boards, chains, and even dumbells from time to time.

[/quote]

What would you say to this guy doing dips?

What if you knew he benched over 600 raw and stated that weighted dips were a staple of his bench training?

My point is there are many ways to do things and your post reeks of jealously, which is irritating.

This is one of my favorite videos on youtube, 150kg/330lbs for three reps.

What I know his bench is 230kg/485lbs raw at competiton, and his BW is around 95kg/210lbs.

i love dips (PB bw(80kg)+55kgx5) but to be honest i dont see a huge carryover to my bench press. on the other hand i see a huge carryover from my bench press, especially with a close grip, to my dips. what gives? i dont know…

[quote]diekatze wrote:
i love dips (PB bw(80kg)+55kgx5) but to be honest i dont see a huge carryover to my bench press. on the other hand i see a huge carryover from my bench press, especially with a close grip, to my dips. what gives? i dont know…[/quote]

Maybe change the way you train dips? Width, and set/rep? I’ve also noticed that my bench help my dips but also the other way around, a good circle of strength!

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
I lift with some of the strongest guys in the world and I’ve never seen them doing dips. That’s not to say that it’s a bad exercise but I think there are exercises that have more carryover to the bench press and are less stressfull on the shoulder. I used to do weighted dips but I got to a point where my shoulders couldn’t take it anymore.
[/quote]

This ^^

Pat Casey was a fan of weighted dips. That’s good enough for me. I went a year doing only weighted dips and strict press as my pressing movements, as the benches at my gym sucked. I just got a flat bench for the home gym finally, and after spending some time relearning my technique, my bench strength has gone through the roof. I’m still making basic linear progression, with no signs of stopping.

Couple of old dips videos of myself at about 205

Nice videos! Nothing wrong with strict presses and dips, especially when the bench sucks.

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]Brett295 wrote:

I haven’t done them since and my bench has improved considerably. Those dips you were doing were impressive but we don’t compete in dips we compete in the squat, bench, and deadlift. For my time I go with bands, boards, chains, and even dumbells from time to time.

[/quote]

What if you knew he benched over 600 raw and stated that weighted dips were a staple of his bench training?

My point is there are many ways to do things and your post reeks of jealously, which is irritating. [/quote]

Jealousy? Realy? come on man, that’s just rediculous. Dips worked for that guy…great. They didn’t work for me… oh well. I just gave my honest opinion of dips. The OP is obviously pretty strong and I commended him on that. Your post reaks of Troll which is irritating.

i get a good bit of carryover from weighted dips to my bench. they can be rough on the shoulders if i do them for extended time though. i through them into the rotation and will do them for a few weeks.

here’s my best - BW (270) plus 225lbs x 5

Nice dips! I’ve seen you before on youtube, and you got a good bench!

I haven’t has time to read this entire thread, apologies.

I started dipping and chinning again after starting 5/3/1 eight weeks ago and I think dips are great. My only justification for not doing them was that they were too hard, so I neglected them. I working them hard now and I’m liking the results.

Thats a yes from me OP…

I got up to 195 lbs BW with 115lbs*4

My bench definitely went up during this time period,I will have to get some videos up come post contest!

I adore weighted dips, but I do them VERY specifically. Legs straight, feet slightly in front of the body, head down. Plants most of the focus on the chest and shoulders rather than the somewhat awkward arched-back movement that usually ends up happening.

They aren’t an exercise I’d use for maxing out under ANY circumstances though.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[quote]Brett295 wrote:

[/quote]

My point is there are many ways to do things and your post reeks of jealously, which is irritating. [/quote]

Jealousy? Realy? come on man, that’s just rediculous. Dips worked for that guy…great. They didn’t work for me… oh well. I just gave my honest opinion of dips. The OP is obviously pretty strong and I commended him on that. Your post reaks of Troll which is irritating. [/quote]

Yeah that was unnecessary, sorry.

So dips weren’t in my rotation when this thread came up, which is probably why I was irritable. But hit a PR today, 180x2. Now if only I had a double BW bench because of this.

i think that old guy was checking you out

[quote]grettiron wrote:
So dips weren’t in my rotation when this thread came up, which is probably why I was irritable. But hit a PR today, 180x2. Now if only I had a double BW bench because of this.

[/quote]

You have a long way to go before you will look like that guy beside you. But he recommends ab machine, 50 sets of lat pulldowns, cable tricep extensions, and relaxed db curls(what I see about every man his age do in the gym).

I agree that this is a great exercise, but like many great exercises, got to take care of your joints. I tend to keep the reps a little higher for these than my other pressing work, mostly because I don’t have the best dip rack and it is a pain to get an extra 75-150 lbs on me and get on the bars.

I read somebody (Randy Strossen?) refer to dips as an upper-body squat, which is a pretty good endorsement. I also heard (Can’t be sure) that the Westside guys used to dip a lot but got so damn strong that they do more board pressing instead. Again, don’t quote me on that, BS spreads fast on the web.

[quote]grettiron wrote:

[/quote]

Really nice, will be moving on to higher weights myself, and hopefully get some nice result to my bench.