Weighted Carry vs Static Hold

I’m seeing more and more respected strength coaches preach the effectiveness of weighted carries. I have a question though. What’s the difference between walking and standing still with the weight? I can imagine that it takes a little more effort to stabilize everything while moving, but is it really that much of a difference?

First thing that comes to mind: increased heart rate and blood flow (thus nutrients flow) when moving.

1. You have a metabolic component to the carries since you are moving with the weight. This will improve conditioning, it also produced a greater amount of overall lactic acid which may increase the release of growth hormone by the body

2. During carries you are involving the core (stabilization) a lot more

3. During carries more overall muscle mass is involved

4. During carries the “holding” muscles are working harder than during holds because of the oscillation of the weight… even if you try your best to stay super stable, there is bound to be some movement during the carries.

[quote]Bue wrote:
I’m seeing more and more respected strength coaches preach the effectiveness of weighted carries. I have a question though. What’s the difference between walking and standing still with the weight? I can imagine that it takes a little more effort to stabilize everything while moving, but is it really that much of a difference?[/quote]

i wondered this, for the simple reason that i don’t have a lot of space at home.

…so i started doing OH holds; they were great and i started getting results but i felt i was missing something that only carries could bring…

i started incorporating movement in my OH holds, basically locking the weight out up top, then going down onto one knee, both knees, back to standing and repeat on the other leg… doing this was not challenging for my lower body at all, but my delts and triceps DEFINITELY worked a lot harder. i think this is a good option with OH/Goblet carries if you don’t have much space… i’m yet to find a good substitute for trap bar carries!

My gyms pretty tiny so during carries I have to turn alot. So with the more awkward carries (yoke and overhead carries) ive simply been doing high knees on the spot as fast as possible and it seems to do the trick. Doing a 180 12 times with 100kg on your back is alot harder than with 2 heavy dumbbells in your hand during farmers walks